“Zylo brunch was less than impressive”
Review of W Hoboken

W Hoboken
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 25, 2014

On Sunday March 23 my four girlfriends and I decided to check out Zylo for a classy brunch in honor of one of our birthdays. The atmosphere was modern and airy with windows that provide impressive views of the Manhattan skyline. We walked past the breakfast buffet as we were being seated by the host and the presentation was impressive. I had my eye on the pastries which was enough to convince me to pay the $35 for the all you can eat breakfast buffet. The buffet deal includes coffee/tea, juice, and unlimited trips to the buffet which offered freshly prepared omelets and waffles in addition to already made pancakes, bacon, salads, and as previously mentioned, desserts.

Once seated, my friends and I perused the menu and found it to be quite limited. There were omelet options for approximately $12-14, a Panini sandwich, and a few other dishes that seemed a bit pricey for what they included. We ordered coffee while we waited to decide what we wanted to order. The coffee was strong and served in large cozy mugs. However, we had to ask our waiter for refills of coffee after sitting for quite some time.

My girlfriends ordered various omelets and one friend ordered the Panini sandwich. I made a few trips to the buffet to get some pastries for the table while my dining companions waited for their food to arrive. After approximately 40-45 minutes and 3 plates of pastries later, we noticed that it was taking longer than usual for the food to arrive. My friends ordered eggs and a sandwich; neither of which should take 40 minutes to prepare. One of my friends spoke to the manager who came over to the table and offered mimosas on the house. While that was nice and some friends appreciated it, I found that the service was less than impressive for such an upscale hotel with a pricey and limited menu. We were not offered an explanation for the slow service (I offered the excuse of the kitchen possibly being short staffed, etc.) and my friends all agreed that the mimosas were a nice offer.

Once everyone's food arrived, I walked up to the buffet a few times in search of the omelet chef so I could choose something more substantial than croissants and muffins. After 3-4 trips, the chef was no where to be found. I decided to get some yogurt with fruit (yum!!), bacon and already prepared pancakes and save room for dessert.

My friends were not overly impressed by the omelets and commented that the breakfast potatoes were cold. My one friend said that the Panini was good and the fries which were served in the fryer basket were crunchy and fried to perfection. Everyone urged me to go back to the buffet and bring back some dessert which I gladly obliged.

We thoroughly enjoyed the macaroons and the cupcakes. I do wish there were some more of those chocolate desserts at the end of brunch since they looked amazing!

Overall, we thought the experience was a classy one but not worth the money for brunch. I would suggest travelers seek brunch elsewhere in Hoboken or even NYC and if all else fails, there's always good bagels and cream cheese that would make any New Yorker swoon!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michelle E
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for posting your ZYLO experience on Trip Advisor! In reviewing your comments, I must apologize for the subpar service you received in ZYLO. This is certainly not typical of our hotel and I have shared your comments with ZYLO's management team. It is precisely through feedback like yours that we are able to continually monitor our guest's expectations. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention and we hope to welcome you back to W Hoboken again soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

My wife and I spent 2 nights in W Hoboken on our way back to Norway celebrating our anniversary in NYC. We had a Wonderful room with a fantastic view to Manhattan Skyline and Hudson River. We also appreciated the extra attention from GM Pedro Dias. Had excellent dinner at Zylo but was a bit disappointed that Lulu s was not open. Anyway, the food and service was excellent and I also really enjoyed the gym at the hotel. Everybody were extremely friendly and we had a perfect time. My wife and I always stay at Starwood hotels when travelling. Too bad there is no Starwood hotels in Norway. I know that a W Hotel in Oslo will be a huge success.
Will definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review of the W Hoboken with the Trip Advisor community. We are happy we were able to be a part of your special day-Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your anniversary. I’m glad you had time to dine in Zylo and were so impressed with the service provided by our talent team. Hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We made a reservation several weeks in advance. All suites on upper floors were sold out so we picked a corner room on a lower floor. Upon check in, they informed us that the room was on the third floor and we would hear all the music from the night clubs below. They did not inform us of this when we made the reservation. We then asked to move up to a higher floor. We were given a smaller room on the 13th floor. Upon arrival, the room was right outside the elevator. We arrived back at our room at approximately 11:45pm. The walls are paper thin without any insulation. Very poor construction. You can hear a cell phone ring next door, a man urinate in the bathroom next door, an entire conversation in another room. If a child drops a toy above you, it sounds as if the ceiling is going to collapse. People return to their room inebriated throughout the night and run and scream through the halls like they are on spring break in college. We work up exhausted the next day. This hotel is simply a party hotel. It does not cater to couples looking to get away or to families with children of any age. It's focus is on drinking and the nightlife - not on customer service or quality of stay. We will not be returning again.

2  Thank JenD40

Thank you for writing on Trip Advisor. Guest satisfaction is so important to us and I am disheartened to learn of your expressed disatisfaction with your guest room and the noise disturbances you experienced. We take our guest feedback seriously and I know that’s not what you expect when you stay with us for rest and relaxation. At W, we do strive to uphold the highest levels of service and we look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken for a more perfect experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

A belated review of a great stay 1/20-1/24 at the W Hoboken. One of my favorite W hotels. Their service is always exemplary and the concierge and front desk staff always goes the extra mile - pays attention to details. This time my stay was amidst the polar vortex and the front desk was serving warm apple cider and sweets at check in. The staff had noticed i was very fond of the apple cider and un solicited showed up at my room with a large cup of cider and some extra sweets, just because. Besides good business service, good location- great rooms ( cornerview overlooking the Hudson and Manhattan), their attention to detail makes a stay at the W Hoboken a welcomed homecoming every time. Needless to say- i'll be back !.. A business travelers first choice !

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for sharing your recent W Hoboken experience on Trip Advisor. I am elated to hear that you felt so welcomed by our team during your visit, and enjoyed the special treats. We certainly love to WOW our guests and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon for another memorable visit!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

The views of the NYC skyline are fantastic from all rooms. Employees were helpful, friendly and knowledgeable of the surrounding area. The hotel was clean, beautifully decorated and meeting rooms were perfect for any business need.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your W Hoboken experience with our Trip Advisor community. We are thrilled to hear that we were able to meet your business needs, and that you were so impressed with the phenomenal views W Hoboken offers, and our wonderful talent team. Hope to welcome you back again next time your travels bring you to the area!

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over a year ago, and this time returning it was just as special. We got a room with a balcony and the view of New York City is absolutely great! Loved the room and the bedding is very comfortable. The lounge downstairs is great for drinks and relaxing before or after dinner. We also had great service at the restaurant. The only thing we didn't check out was the new Lulu upstairs. Overall I would definitely recommend the Hoboken W to family, friends and coworkers.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for sharing on Trip Advisor! I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your repeat visit to W Hoboken! Our aim is to always provide a true WOW experience for all of our guests and I’m glad we did for you! We look forward to your next stay with us at W Hoboken!

Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was a very important occasion for me--I was celebrating my second wedding anniversary and my 500th stay at a Starwood Hotel.

I was hoping for a great experience and it was. The suite was amazing. The staff could not have been nicer or friendlier.
Great restaurant. What's not to like? Oh, stunning views of New York too.

One of New York's great hotels is just across the Hudson.

Room Tip: View of New York