“Best place to stay in Hoboken”
Review of W Hoboken

W Hoboken
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 21, 2011

The W is a great hotel in a yuppy chain. Try to get a room overlooking the Hudson River. This will give you a great view of the Manhattan skyline. There are reception rooms on the main and 2nd floor and the hotel is a prime place for weddings. That means they CRANK the music. I was on the 3rd floor and the room was literally thumping until past 1 a.m. I suppose that's what you get with a hip hotel run by 20-something's. Try for a room high up. The rooms and bathrooms are exceptionally clean. The rooms have flat screen TVs and DVD players. The bathrooms have only showers if you care. There is almost no street parking, but if you are stayin here and going to manhattan, you won't need a car. It is easily walkable (<5 min to train/ferry/PATH/light rail. This is a great place to stay if you want to tour NYC, but the City hikes your blood pressure. Tons of neighborhood cafes within walking distance. Also, they have a real nice 24 HR fitness center (incl in price)

• Stayed: August 2011
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

I’m thrilled to hear you liked the amazing views from our hotel, however I want to apologize for the noise disturbances. While some of our rooms do only have showers, we do have rooms with tubs as well. Please feel free to request a tub in the future and we will do our best to ensure you are placed in one of those rooms. I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon! –Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 20, 2011

Stayed here weekend of August 6th and was celebrating a birthday and anniversary as well. From entry to exit, the stay was nothing short of fantastic! Upon approaching the front doors to the property the door attendants were upbeat and happy and welcomed us to the hotel. The lobby area is SPOTLESS, stylish, and in pristine condition. The welcome desk agent who checked-us in was aware what we were there for and made sure we were more than welcomed. Booked a fantastic suite for the night with the 3000 point promo which was definitely a steal for the weekend! All my preferences were met which is rare if you're not a gold or platinum (maybe not at this hotel), highest floor possible with a great city view.
Upon going deeper into the lobby the living room is clearly the place to be during the evening hours and am glad I was able to entertain guests there later that night. Service in the living room bar was great, the female attendant who took care of us was SUPER fun.
The room (fantastic suite) was TRULY a FANTASTIC SUITE! The room smelled fresh, was well "styled" as they call it, and there was more than enough space to entertain a few friends before we headed out on the town. The full bathroom with soaking tub and shower was awesome, and the 1/2 bath was great for people to do quick touch-ups, etc. before we headed out. GREAT TV in the living room, and balcony was an amazing touch. The view of NYC in the morning, afternoon, and night was STUNNING!
Whatever/Whenever service was great! They were attentive to our needs and were great at recommending a few places to grab a quick bite to eat or for delivery. BIG thanks to Kristin (spelling) and Wendy who I'm sure were annoyed with us calling every 10 minutes. AND also a big thanks to them for following up with us each and every time we asked for something or had requested anything.
Room service breakfast was TASTY and came to our room in the time frame it was promised! The room service attendant was friendly and had a few really cool tattoos as well, definitely keeping with the look and style of hotel.
BIG thanks to everyone at the W Hoboken, I will definitely be staying there again soon, and will definitely frequent the living room bar instead of wasting time at some of the trashy bars in Hoboken! One thing I really want to take advantage of is the fitness room and the Acura service as well.

Room Tip: 1508...BEST Fantastic Suite!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay with us to celebrate your special day! I’m so glad we were able to make the anniversary and birthday celebration a memorable one. I’m glad you were able to spend time with your friends in our Living Room bar and take advantage of our Whatever/Whenever service. We will be sure to put Kristen and Wendy in the spotlight! We can’t wait to welcome you back! Don’t hesitate to make arrangements for the Acura car with our Concierge team and stop by our Sweat gym any time as it is open 24/7. –Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 19, 2011

Marc,Anna,Ashley,Wendy and the whole staff at the W HOTEL in Hoboken N.J.was great. They went over the top to treat myself and my family like a member of the FAMILY. I felt like a queen, thank you W HOTEL Hoboken N.J. and staff

Zylo restaurant in the W HOTEL Hoboken N.J.,we had our daughters bridal shower there, Kevin and his staff are the BEST,
I think everyone should have there party's there, You have nothing to worry about when Kevin is in charge. O don't even think about bringing in your own cake or cupcakes, don't DO IT!! Have Kevin put something together for you. I ordered cupcakes from an outside vender, they did not taste as good as Kevin's cupcakes and the tower it was put on rocked back and forth. Thank you Kevin and Staff

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Thank you so much! We’re happy to make any and all of our guests feel like royalty. I’m glad you chose to have your daughter’s bridal shower in Zylo and I will be sure to share your kind words with Kevin and the restaurant team. –Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Parking at the self service Parking is a scam. You have to pay cash without a receipt after 7:00PM. The Latino guy at entrance deliberately switched off the meter and asked for cash without a receipt. He scammed W clients. The guy out in front pockets the cash and forced W guest to pay cash for parking. This is not acceptable. I am deeply disturbed with this kind of stuff going on without notice. I called the W Manager and he does have a clue what's going on. This should stop. FIRE the guy at the night shift.Fire the guy at the Parking Night shift. He pockets the parking fee.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank chris f
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

I have forwarded your concerns to the Manager of the Littleman Parking Garage across the street from our hotel. Please let us know if you would like to speak with him directly as we can put you in contact with him to discuss this further. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 6, 2011

I've stayed at W Hoboken many times since it opened. It is a fantastic hotel; my favorite.

It is a full-service hotel from a business perspective. One aspect I appreciate is the ability to get laundry done overnight – particularly important for a one night stay.

The restaurant and bars are a high standard. They attract good clientele. My only negative experience has been overzealous bar security staff that seem to enjoy intimidating customers with a "secret service" style attitude – entirely unnecessary; the high prices keep the low-lifes away. The door-man commented he hears many complaints from guests about security staff. For God's sake; they don't need to check the ID of a nearly 50 year old.

The rooms are very good in typical W style. I've stayed in all levels of rooms and even the lowest priced rooms are good. Many rooms have postcard views of New York City.

Each room offers wireless and cabled internet at a decent speed.

The hotel staff are very good. The concierges and room-service staff are particularly good. I've have had the occasional slow check-in or check-out mainly because the staff are being (overly) attentive to the customer at the counter. Sometimes the W service style comes at the cost of time. I timed one staff member taking 10 minutes per check-in which is over-the-top for those standing behind.

The hotel is within a few minutes walking distance to some good restaurants and bars. It's about a 10 minute walk to the local PATH station which offers a cheap trip to New York City.

I highly recommend this hotel. If it's fully booked, try the Westin in Jersey City Newport.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Gregga63

I’m thrilled to hear we are your favorite hotel! I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. I’m glad you’ve enjoyed all of our room types, from Cozy to Fantastic Suite. However, I do apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced at our Chandelier Room bar. I will certainly bring this to the attention of our bar management. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed at the W Hoboken in August 2011 before flying home from New York.

Check-in at the W was pleasant and hassle-free. Check-out was slightly slower because the only person at the front desk was assisting a guest in counting the number of stops on the PATH line between Hoboken and 33rd Street. The 14th-floor room was large, bright, airy, and well-appointed with a phenomenal view of the Manhattan skyline. The bathroom was medium-sized, with a small bathtub. The bed was quite comfortable, and the light-up snack tray can be turned off by a switch on the side. The room also had an iPod dock and a DVD player. I found the trendy styling to be more subdued and discreet in this property than in other W hotels, except for the purple lighting in the lobby and the mural on the wall behind the television in the guestroom. The overall effect was quite appealing. The hotel is located on the waterfront in the Yuppie enclave of Hoboken (directly across from Manhattan), which is quite walkable and convenient to transit, so a car is not necessary (and could be expensive to park).

Other reviewers have mentioned noise issues at this hotel, and it appears that the management is taking this concern seriously. The property-specific card that warns against smoking in the room (and the associated cleaning fee) also provides the maximum number of guests per room and a warning that if the hotel has to compensate other guests for your noise, your account may be charged. I experienced no noise issues during my stay, though I turned the air conditioning fan down during the night because it was a little loud when it kicked in.

Though the young woman who checked me into my room mentioned the restaurant, I did not eat there. I met up with a friend from the city for fondue (at the Melting Pot ~$135 for two, including tax & tip) two blocks south of the hotel along the waterfront. The hotel is also about a block from historic Washington Street, where there are quite a few restaurants, many with outdoor seating along the wide sidewalks. A few more can also be found along Frank Sinatra Drive (the waterfront). Fora hearty breakfast (~$30 for two), try the juevos rancheros at Turning Point, which is a twenty-minute walk to the north of the hotel, also on the waterfront (it’s popular and relaxed, so not for those in a hurry). There is also a Starbucks is about two blocks from the hotel.

When visiting New York,I tend to be a Manhattan snob, refusing to stay off the island. As such, it was only on the last night of my New York holiday that I stayed at the W Hoboken before flying out of Newark the next morning. As it turned out, this could be quite a pleasant base for exploring the city because the hotel is located just a few blocks (five minutes walking) from the PATH station, which offers fast transportation (for $1.75) to various stations in Manhattan. I understand that there is also a slower and more expensive ferry service that provides a nicer experience going across the water. The public transit trip to Newark Airport took a little longer and requires a couple of transfers, but the system is relatively straightforward. This is a much better hotel than the two W hotels in which I have stayed in Manhattan.

I booked my room through the Starwood website. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank YOWboys

I’m delighted to hear that you finally chose to stay with us here across the Hudson River. I’m glad you enjoyed the convenience to Manhattan and some of the great restaurants and bars Hoboken has to offer. We can’t wait to welcome you back! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 3, 2011

Thanks for an amazing saturday night in Hoboken. The W was an amazing experience and Caitlin and I really enjoyed staying there. The bed was amazing. Caitlin was exhausted from being the maid of honor in a wedding and she deserved a premier night in NYC and you lived up to it. We appreciate the 1pm check out also; barely got up before noon. Thanks again.

Very accommodating and high end. Beautiful w/ ridiculous views of the city.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mattmues
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoboken
Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
#1 of 14 in Jersey City
The Westin Jersey City Newport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City
Dharma Home Suites Hoboken at Novia
Residence Inn by Marriott Jersey City

Been to W Hoboken? Share your experiences!