“It was tasty but it was pricey... way too pricey” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, International, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
United States
“It was tasty but it was pricey... way too pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I love the place and the food is great but 80 dollars per person was just way too much for what we get. I cant believe that was the price for going on the Saturday before valentines day... maybe it was because it was the valentines day menu but that was still too much.

• Visited February 2012

asbury park, new jersey
“Lovely Romantic Luncheon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

My husband and I decided to have lunch together for Valentine's Day rather than dinner. I work in Jersey City and was struggling to figure out the right place. I was surprised that Melting Pot was open on a Tuesday for lunch so I made a reservation. They had a set special menu for the holiday. We enjoyed a glass of champagne with our FANTASTIC cheese fondue with apples, bread cubes and vegetables. We then moved on to fresh salads one of them with a lovely house dressing. The boiling broth fondue was next with a great selection of vegetarian items to "cook" including asparagus, ravioli, tofu, mushrooms and dumplings with a variety of sauces! All were delicious. The BEST part of the meal aside from the CHEESE was the dark chocolate fondue with marshmallow and Oreo cookies. It was quite a feast but manageable even at lunch! We had a WONDERFUL time. The restaurant is in a quieter part of Hoboken on Sinatra drive overlooking the city. They validate up to 3 hours of parking for $5. The hostess and waitstaff were attentive and accommodating. It was a great way to spend Valentine's Day lunch!

• Visited February 2012
Staten Island, New York
“Looking for a fun night...ended up aggravated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

My friends and I visited The Melting Pot in Hoboken, NJ last night....

This is what I wrote to them this morning:

I want to begin by saying that I used to enjoy visiting the Hoboken Melting Pot, but I don't think I will go back ever again. I was there last night, 1/30/12, with 4 of my friends for "Ladies Night". Several things went wrong with our visit.

We understood the Ladies Night menu, except for the petite entree selection, so when ordering I asked how the petite entree worked and what came with it. The waiter only told us what would we would get on the plate. When the waiter asked what cooking style we would like, we asked for the oil. He then told us that they did not have oil tonight. He then failed to mention how the certain cooking style we ended up choosing would be an extra cost. When I saw the bill and asked about it, he replied, rather nastily, "I assumed you knew, you said you've been here before".

We were also disappointed in the amount of chocolate we received in one of the pots for 5 people. When we asked about that, the waiter replied, again rather rudely, "that's 4oz of chocolate" and "I gave you a little more in this one" (pointing to the other pot). Also during the chocolate course, I asked for extra bananas (which I have done in the past) and was told that he'd have to charge me $1 for 4 pieces of banana. I was in shock...I asked for more bread and didn't get charged extra, why should I be charged extra for 4 slices of banana? A whole banana cost $0.22 in the supermarket and I was going to be charged $1 for 4 slices? We didn't even have the equivalent of a whole banana on the table for 5 people.

At the end of our meal, we were joking around about how one of the people there loved the mints they had at the door and how she was going to take the whole bowl. When we were leaving we noticed that the bowl, which had been there when we arrived, was not on the counter anymore. So we left and got our car, as we drove by (no more than 5 minutes later) we noticed that the bowl of mints was back on the counter. We believe that the personnel overheard us joking about the mints and removed them on purpose.

I for one, will not be returning to the melting pot in Hoboken. I was totally disappointed in the experience we had last night. What was supposed to be a fun, inexpensive evening turned out to be aggravating and twice the price I thought I was going to spend.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank elachief
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Romantic Interlude”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

For an escape from the daily grind,"kids", this restaurant is perfect in every way.
Upon entering you can't help but notice how clean it is and the decor is very nice,especially the secluded seating areas towards the rear for couples. Our server was extremely pleasant and knowledgable,important if you are new to fondue.I strongly suggest the four course offering for the complete experience,this includes cheese fondue,salad,broth fondue,and chocolate fondue. The freshness of the meats,vegetables,fruits,and seafood was excellent.Their wine list offers more than enough choices to satisfy most everyone.
Make sure you allow enough time to enjoy yourselves, it does take more time than a regular dinner. I highly recommend this destination on the Hoboken waterfront.

• Visited December 2011
Brooklyn, New York
“Not all that impressed...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

I recently went with my family + 3 and found it to be not all that impressive. It's best to go just for the cheese/chocolate fondue only. The food, if you're hungry, is a waste of $$$. From the entree menu, you think it's alot but when it comes to your table, it's a couple of pieces..., I mean pieces of food. If you've been there, you know the drill...wait for each "piece" to be "cooked"...who has time? I'm going out to eat, not experiment with proper cooking times and whether or not I get salmonella from uncooked chicken or shrimp. Look, I did this just to experience it. Truthfully, I had no idea what to expect and it may be unfair to pan this restaurant if folks like this but it's really not for me, which means I won't be doing a return trip. If I want to spend upwards of $500 (that's what my bill was), I want a good meal that is filling and I was really hungry when I left...and by the way, I am a very generous tipper but I gauge that on a level of service provided...there was a 20% tip that was included for really nothing but handing me plates...and asking to kick on a $10 donation for St. Jude is alittle tacky. Bottom line, it's a little for alot.

• Visited May 2011