“obnoxious manager!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ
“obnoxious manager!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Although the food is not bad, although over-priced, the manager is very rude, to put it mildly. I made a reservation for 6:oo pm (the last time I will ever go there). The manager called me earlier in the day to confirm the reservation, and to remind me to be on time because he had the table booked for 8 pm - fair enough, I understand completely, and told him we would be prompt and certainly leave by 8 pm. He called again at 5:00 to, not remind, but TELL me to be on time as he had another booking! He called for a THIRD time at 5:30, not to ask, but to TELL me that "I better get in a little early because he had the table booked for 8:00pm". I would have cancelled on the spot, but we were meeting two other couples, so we went (arriving at 5:50), and he AGAIN told us that we had to be out by 8:00 because he had someone else (I assume far more important that us) coming then. We skipped appetizers, ate a quick meal, and left at 7:00 to have coffee and dessert at another restaurant. It was almost funny - he was unbelievably rude - there are plenty of other good restaurants in HoHoKus --- avoid this one.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank 644AnneR

“Poor service topped with a hair in my dessert!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Walking in the atmosphere was nice. We were seated and given menues. Apparently there was much confusion as to who our waiter/waitress was and was completely unorganized. By the way be the end of dinner still could not determine who our server was. The food was nothing special, tasted looked like I would make at home. My wife ordered the salmon and again not great. The salmon was over cooked. After dealing with the frustration of the service and eating a fair to poor meal we decided to try dessert. My wife ordered the pecan pie which she said was good and I ordered the pistachio gelato. After a spoon of the gelato I discovered hair "baked" or mixed in the gelato. That was my tipping point. I approached the owner with my bowl of ice cream she was behind the bar processing a credit card. Before I even said anything she said in an extremely nasty tone wait a minute. Told her that not only was there hair in my good the entire dinner was horrendous. She did not acknowledge with any care and for lack of a better word was simply nasty. Well anyway my wife was looking forward to trying this place since we recently moved close by the restuarant. Don't know why the owner would be so nasty only encourages me to go out of my way to inform others that if you want bad service, support an owner who is nasty and have hair in your food go Janice a Bistro.

• Visited January 2014
5 Thank Bartlee27
North Carolina Coast, North Carolina
“Consistently Excellent Food”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Four of us ate at Janice last Saturday. Reservations are definitely needed. This is a store front BYOB with some tables up front and a line of booths opposite a long bar with seating. It is a informal, casual atmosphere. The food is pricey but excellent. We all ordered a salad which is not included with the meal. It was fresh and enjoyable. Three of us ordered the rib eye steak. We all asked for different levels of doneness and, amazingly, they got it all right. The steak comes with mashed potatoes but I asked for French fries. Next time I’ll take the mashed. The fries were so thin that the cooled too quickly. Our fourth person ordered the salmon – rare. It actually came rare and was delicious. We shared the hot chocolate cake for dessert. It was good but a bit dry. This is a place we will continue to go to. Expect to pay $50+ per person even with BYOB.

• Visited December 2013
Ramsey, New Jersey
“Spend Your Hard Earned Money Elsewhere”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have been to Janice twice, so shame on me. The food is not bad, but the service is appalling. I think it is because the waitress, the same one on both occasions is a family member of the owner or is an owner herself. If not, they just allow her to rule the roost. A group of 5 women actually left the restaurant after the waitress was rude, and unprofessional. However, what really takes the cake is that the owner backed her up when she clearly was the one at fault. I know this sounds one sided, but it is true. This incident occurred during my second visit. Both time we had Groupons, which I think may be part of the issue. They are irritated to serve people who are using these coupons.
Regarding the waitress, she acts as if she is doing you a favor by taking your order and delivering your food. After brining me an incorrect entree she was annoyed at me! When I asked for the correct entree she huffed and puffed. And, there was no comp or apology.
I could go on and on. Stay away from this place, and I am shocked by the “good” reviews. Maybe if the staff/ownership changed the place would not be half bad.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Travel7108
Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
“"Just Janice" is the new name”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have been dining at Janice since it opened. It is warm, inviting and they serve delicious meals. Whether it is for lunch or dinner, don't miss it. It is worth the trip!

Visited November 2013