“Food prepared with love and pride...”
Review of Fernando's grille

Fernando's grille
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Hightstown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: FernandosGrille.com 609-443-4488 they have great food n just off the NJ turnpike exit 8
Sugar Land, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food prepared with love and pride...”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Wild Mushroom Bisque and Seared Scallops- try them once and you will be back for more. Chef Fernando understands how to prepare food that diners love. Bring your favorite bottle of wine and enjoy!

• Visited January 2013

“Quaint and comfortable small town restaurant”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have dined at Fernando's since they first opened in Robbinsville NJ. When they relocated to downtown Hightstown we were happy to see that they settled in a larger space that could accommodate more diners on the busy Friday and Saturday nights since at times we were unable to get a table without an advance reservation on a Saturday night. Fernando does a very good job and prepares great meals. Starting with his soups, they are all very good but the Wild Mushroom Soup is to die for, just that good. All of his appetizers are well prepared and very good, although I don't eat mussels I can't help but think how much those that do are enjoying the heaping bowl of mussels that he serves.

I can much recommend so many of his entree's but since I no longer eat red meat I will start with my current favorites. The Crabcakes are some of the best I have ever had outside of the Chesapeake Bay area, the Seared Sea Scallops over rice are delicious, perfectly seared and almost to pretty to eat. I have had his Tilapia cajun style with Shrimp and encrusted with Sesame, both very good and perfectly prepared, I can't choose one over the other. The chicken entree's are not the usual so-so choices, prepared as Picatta, Francaise or with Portabella mushrooms are all delicious, I have had each many times. The mashed potatoes' are served Yukon style or Wasabi style and although I have never had the later others love them. I guess its best to look at the menu online because the are many great choices including Filet Mignon, NY Strip Steak and Ribs that I haven't had in a while but were all delicious when I had them in my meat eating days of the past.

Service has always been good and the host Marcello is quick to open your wine (its BYOB) and get a server to your table. They serve home made bread is served warm with a nice presentation of butter but we always have to ask for more butter, it looks pretty fancy but a small portion.

This place fills up the end of the week and on Saturday nights so I recommend a reservation for Friday or Saturday and Sunday seems to get quite busy as well. My recommendation is give this place a try, I think you will pleasantly surprised, we love it!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Captn_rick
Plainsboro, New Jersey
“A chef who excedes expectations”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The key to this place is that the guy in the kitchen really knows what he is doing! This isn't a line cook type of place, its a hands on in the kitchen head chef who knows that high quality ingredients go a longer way than cutting corners. A chef who knows that if you make your crab cake salad with 95% lump crab meat instead of 50% filler, your cutomers will know the difference. A chef who knows that you don't have to add heavy cream in order to get a rich soup, maybe just some vinegar and more frsh veggies. Check it out, if you don't like it, either you are a McDonalds type of person or you didn't order the Burger, Crabcake, Homemade Soups, Quesadillas or any number of great items I have finished there!

• Visited November 2012
Plainsboro
“An excellent restauranteur tucked away in Hightstown”
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Whether it's lunch or dinner, Fernando's nails it every time. Props to Fernando Suquilanda and his family from Ecuador who grace our area with his amazing cooking. A roasted cold red pepper soup is amazing. Followed by an amazing crab cake salad or a big burger, Fernando will leave you feeling satisfied. Dinner entrees which are amazing are prime rib, grilled salmon and chicken francaise There is something for everyone on the menu.

1 Thank Xmonkberry
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Hidden Gem in the land of the diners and deli's”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Eating out in Hightstown for business nearly every night, why had some one not recommended Fernando's???

As with many NJ resturants, stop and get yourself a good bottle of wine at a fair price then go and enjoy the best Italalian food I have had in weeks. The crab cakes were unbelievably fresh and light on a pasta with a lemon based sauce. The butternut squash soup was delish and the service stellar!

• Visited September 2012