“One of our favorite shore restaurants.”
Review of Inlet Cafe

Inlet Cafe
Ranked #4 of 34 Restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Riverside Seafood Restaurant
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We went with our adult children for my husband's birthday.We shared the Potuguese shrimp and clam appetizer,which was delicious and plenty for the 4 of us.We each odered different entrees.My stuffed mahi-mahi was great,served with rice and fresh mixed vegetables.My husband always orders the jambalaya,which he says is the best he's ever eaten.1 of the kids had the grilled salmon.Our waitress always seemed to appear when our water glasses were empty or if someone wanted another drink.We had a nirthday cake at home,so I can't comment on the desserts.Some say their proces are a little on the high side,but you get what you pay for.

1  Thank marylouNewJersey

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Inlet Cafe has never failed us. We love to top our beach day at this waterfront casual and grab some steamers (always served pipng hot). The food is always good (burger, sandwiches etc) and the service is usually spot-on. If you're ever in the Sandy Hook area, stop in, it's well worth it.

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Like other reviewers the service was slow. We had this big guy who's name I can't remember covering the table we eventually sat at. Even while sitting at the bar we could barely get the young girl bar tending to look up when we wanted to place orders, she only looked down at drink levels and not at people as if she was afraid of serving people. The food started out good at the bar with one of their clam dishes.

Priced seem a little high for the portion but I guess I'm paying for the view & location.

Once they sat us at a table on the deck with a nice view it went downhill. The guy never seemed to be in site, didn't know the answers to my questions and really didn't make it sound like he cared. I ordered the gluten free special which actually had the phrase gluten free in the name. I asked him to describe the other items that came with it and he ran away. Then about 30 min later when a runner brought the food to the table but the waiter hadn't been back even once to check on us the food looked strange. I couldn't identify anything on the plate based on the name or description. Why put a special on the menu, call it gluten free then but a cheesy rice ball rolled in bread crumbs next to it? I think that's what it was, even after I moved it to my husbands plate he couldn't figure it out from the flavor and textures. I ordered a side of fries but they brought this giant basket out and charged $5. He knew that was supposed to be my side dish and I told him I had to worry about gluten. I even had him double check the plate was mind before I even touched it. Again I asked the guy what was on my plate and all he said, your order. A few minutes later my husband needed something but this guy was nowhere in sight but all the other waiters were. When we were leaving, I paid the bill and tipped poorly as I wasn't sure what I'd eaten and he was barely there at all. I felt guilty for all of 1 minute; then we figured out he'd been disappearing to the parking lot to smoke. I'll never let that guy wait on us again between his poor service and the fact that I got sick later that night because my dish was anything but gluten free.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just always a relaxing, friendly, fun atmosphere! Is a bit pricey, but honestly, the portions are huge and the food is always excellent-we were thrilled to be back there this season when they re-opened in May and 3 other visits so far this summer. ALWAYS worth the wait :)

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Went to the Inlet Café for Dinner on a weekday night and it was pretty crowed. My husband and I were still able to get a table on the deck. Our waiter, Jonathon, asked what we would like to drink. We waited and waited for them to come. I noticed he was busy clearing off the big tables and when he saw that our appetizer had arrived (from a different server) he made a beeline to the bar. After returning with our watered down drinks (from the ice melting) he blamed the bartender for being too slow. Wow, what a way to throw a coworker under the bus!

A different server served us our main dishes. I had the stuffed flounder which was good and my husband had the sampler which was also good. Jonathon never stopped by our table to see if everything was ok or if we needed more drinks, which we did. I had to flag him down as he was flying passed us to order more drinks. After a few minutes he literally slammed our drinks on the table and ran off to take care of the bigger tables. I guess he was more interested waiting on the bigger tables because that means bigger tip.

After dropping over $150.00 on drinks and meals I would’ve expected better service.
In the end, the view was nice and food was good but nothing spectacular. We might go back, just hope we have a different server.

2  Thank anitabeach