All reviewsfront desksandy hookcontinental breakfastclean roomswould stay againbagelsthe breakfast areavisiting familythe jersey shorecomfortable bednice staythe garden state parkwayvery nice hotelpncnjfuneralmotel
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My family stayed at the Best Western in Hazlet, NJ from 11/24 - 11/27/11. This was the absolute WORST hotel experience we have ever had. In the 3 days we stayed there, we were in FIVE different rooms. There were several problems, including very loud night workers who I thought at first were drunken guests in the hall (and they needed 3-4 requests to quiet down at 3am). We discovered
** MOLD ** in both rooms the next morning. The manager was apologetic, and assured we would have new rooms when we returned that night, and promsed me to my face that my pregnant daughter's room would have a refirigerator, as her moldy room she was forced to leave had a fridge for her juice & milk. She promised that if she had to move the fridge in herself, there would be one. Guess what? NO fridge was in the room. She later denied she said that, reciting the "refrigerators are not a quarantee" rule. There were many problems, and no real compensation. They told me the absolute most they couyld offer me was 10% off each room. (!!!!!!!!) Since we were in FIVE rooms, that should have been 50% off. 10% was an insult. Our trip was wonderful - we got to see family and had a great time - EXCEPT for the extreme stress and aggrivation caused by our stay at the Best (??) Western. In retrospect, I woke up the first night with an extremely bad pounding headache. I suffered for over an hour before I could get back to sleep. It was probably the mold.
I will NEVER consider staying at any Best Western ever again. I value my sanity and my family's health far too much.
I need to add that the two female non-management counter associates were kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Check your room, especially outide walls, around windows and in the bathroom for mold.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel is near family, I've stayed there a few times. The front desk staff is always helpful, the rates are very reasonable, the room is clean and nice. Bagels at breakfast were good. There is a Dunkin Donuts next door, bus to NYC is nearby too. I believe there is a shuttle to Newark within walking distance, or very close.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank debbie_msp
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed at this hotel while visiting Sandy Hook national park and seashore. Hot breakfast was included, as was parking and wireless internet. There is one computer in the lobby for guest use. The hotel staff was very friendly and conversational, but not prying. We felt welcome.

We're from the Midwest, so this hotel seemed a little "small" in the common areas and in the room. It seemed like the linens were changed to lighter blankets, etc. for the summer. There was a slight odor of stale smoke in the stairwell -- perhaps this hotel used to allow smoking? Not a problem in our room though.

The hotel is a short 15-30 minutes drive to Sandy Hook national park and seashore. We were there on Memorial Day, and didn't notice any traffic jams. It would also be a convenient drive to Red Hook and other Jersey Shore locations. It was easy to find from Newark airport.

I liked the Japanese restaurant immediately adjacent to the hotel (in the shopping mall). There is also a Friendly's, Dunkin Donuts, Hispanic/Mexican restaurant, and pizza place immediately surrounding the hotel on the same side of the road. And a small pharmacy that sells things like sunscreen, ibuprofen, etc. The Friendly's is close enough for their free wireless internet to work in some of the rooms -- which was helpful since the hotel was having trouble with their phone service during our stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sunflower-EK
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Rooms are small but clean, with good linens. I personally do not like the sink in the bedroom design, but that's what it is in a lot of places. The breakfast was good. Coffee all day. Friendly desk clerks. The location was convenient with walking to Dunkin Donuts and Friendlys as well as a small strip mall with nail salon, etc. Short drive to anything else. Lots of shopping in the area.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Comfortable bed, clean room, accommodating staff. Decent complimentary breakfast. The breakfast was not just donuts, there were bagels, cereals and eggs. So being diabetic, I was able to eat the cereal and eggs. Friendly desk clerks. The internet in the lobby was very slow but it was complimentary. No pool at the hotel or restaurant. But there is a Friendly's which is a place to eat next door and places up and down on 35 along with grocery stores.

Room Tip: Comfortable room, great location, friendly staff.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family