“I can separate This from Gold”
Review of Holiday Inn Hazlet

Holiday Inn Hazlet
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hazlet
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Well let's start. I picked up my Good friend and her daughter at the Train station and went to the hotel. they weren't ready yet so they asked if we could come back in an hour. I asked for a favor and left the little one's birthday cake with them. nice gesture on their part. Did what we had to do and returned three hours later. after numerous attempts to swipe my girlfriends Credit card I got t call that they had problems. Thye gave them rooms anyhow. Different floors and opposite ends of the hotel. busy I guess. Then , when I arrived I had them swipe my card with the group in tow. they announced that card didnt work, finally I got a card that they claimed worked. all good right? Not at all Next morning my party was locked out of their room and the desk gal said that the card that they swiped not once , but twice and was originally approved, was declined now and they locked them out of their room. I got a hold of the managre who was gracious and apologetic and offered us free breakfast. Wow, bad choice. food was lousy and the chase was on for food since they were closing up breakfast. Rooms were mildewy, no bathtub, no shampoo in room. By the way I was double charged too My Original card was actually accepted and both cards were charged. Took a week to straighten out and Manager was apologetic, Like a criminal sorry for his crimes. If you want to despise the Holiday Inn chain, please by all means go to this hotel.. Oh They have a pool, not bad,it is Clean , but bring your own towels we got the last of the towels they had available, I guess I would call them dish towels, like the ones at the hospitals.. One star for this rat hole....

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Hazlet

Reviewed June 28, 2008

I stayed here for the first time on a recent Friday night using Priority Club Rewards points (15000). Good location, easy to find and get to. I also found the staff very friendly, including the Front Desk help and the bartender in their Lounge.

Building is 2 stories and quite spread out with a good size outdoor pool in the middle. I get the impression it may have originally been built in motel style. There are rooms on one side of the hallway only and my only window looked out on the hallway, with windows on the opposite side. They really had the AC cranked up in the hallways, it was pretty frigid. Room was cozy but no complaints. One thing a little unusual is the room had only a shower, no tub. Don't think the AC in my room came on at all, if it did it was really quiet.

Probably only complaint is that there were several graduation and wedding related parties. Some of those folks weren't exactly quiet staggering down the hallways in the wee hours.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank al4175
Reviewed May 18, 2008

The staff is great at this hotel. From the front desk, to the lounge and restaurant, everyone was pleasant and eager to help. Our room was comfortable but not spectacular. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom small - the sink is outside of the toilet area. Our room had a microwave, minifridge, sofa and a king bed. We had a quiet night with no disturbances. I would stay here again if I found myself in this area and needed a place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I stayed at the Holiday Inn two nights for business. All I require is a decent bed and desk and base comforts. The heat was blasting in the hall way and my room seemed to be on the warm side. I called the problem into maintanence and went out for dinner. When I returned the hall was warm but my room was ok..so I thought. I woke up in the middle of the night and it felt like a sauna. I had to put the air conditioning on and the compressor went on and off all night. Needless to say I did not sleep and my next day was ruined.

I asked for the manager the next day to report the problem and he did move me to a "suite" which was much more comfortable. They also offered the night for no charge although it appeared on my bill the next day. I had to spend additional time talking to a brand new front desk attendant who did not have a clue.

The restaurant food was inconsistent with wonderful fruit the first day and frozen blueberries the second day.

The property needs managements attention. I would not stay here again. When I arrived at the Marriott in Teaneck on my final night I sunk into the bed and fell fast asleep.

Do yourself a favor and find an alternative.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 16, 2007

After my cousin's wedding we went to check in at the Holiday Inn in Hazlet, NJ. We made our hotel arrangements June 13, 2007 over the internet and found out when we arrived at 9:30 that they gave our rooms away. When we found this out the front desk woman named Bernadette said that their GM, Wendi Miller, said that when our party arrived that she should tell us that she is refusing to come down and talk to us. Unforuntaly, the way the Holiday Inn handled this whole stuation was a disaster from every angle. The fact that they cancelled 7 rooms without notifying anyone and claimed that they didn't have to make anyone aware of reservation that they cancelled and that every hotel was booked within a 25 mile radius (which was another lie, we found 2 rooms at the best western down the road within 5 miles of the hotel). To have something like this happen on a wedding night was devasting to the bride and groom, who luckily were given a room by a guest of their wedding who booked the room seperately 3 days ago. While our party tried to sort things out ( we had guess from Portugal, Manhattan, and Philadelphia) another bridal party came and check in. Apparently their dollar was worth more than ours, even though they made their reservations 2 weeks ago. The management was unprofessional and rude and I feel bad for all of their employees that work under Wendi Miller and her front desk supervisor Jasen. Please be advised against staying in this hotel- the service was the worst I have ever seen in a hotel and I worked a prominent NJ Shore resort for 6 years and have never seen customers been this disrespected.

• Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank Roxyrc328
A TripAdvisor Member
portland, me
Reviewed May 17, 2006

First let me state that the general staff was wonderful. The chamber maids, cooks, room service, and custodians were very friendly, curtious, and showed great enthusiasm to make it as pleasant a stay as possible.

However, the staff in suits, ie - managers and folks in the main lobby were often grumpy and lacked any effort to assist.

Sadly, it's a bit over-priced, but I think that is because it's the only place around. Plus, on the outer limits of the main business area there are Marriotts, etc. that charge higher prices.

Good Things:
1. The room service food was good; over-priced, but was plentiful and was cooked to my liking.

2. General Staff was wonderful.

3. Location - Location - Location

4. Except for the smoke damage and smell in certain areas (they are trying to resolve now) it was clean.

5. Easy Internet Access in each room.

Bad Things:
1. The bedding - it's my last day and I haven't slept in a few days, my back hurts and I can't move my neck. The bedding is VERY soft and the pillows are horrible cheap hotel pillows. I knew I needed sleep to travel today so I ended up sleeping on the floor last night.

2. Noise - you can't escape it here. If you are on the first floor then you hear the traffic. If you are on the top (2nd floor) you hear the air condensers on the roof... constantly. The foot traffic in the hallways echoes through-out and make sure you do not get a room near the ice machines!

3. Fire - previously there was a fire. They did not mention that to me when I reserved a room. Therefore, the main lobby is closed. To enter you must proceed through a banquet hall. I actually walked through a family function and had to walk around the happy couple with all my luggage to check in. I felt horrible.

4. Room Cards - never work; each day you will have to get it reset.

5. The place looks like an older motel that had each room facing the outside. ie - the hallways were open decks that you walked along to your rooms. Now it looks like they are trying to dress it up and have enclosed everything.

6. Prices - we got a corporate rate and it is cheaper than the average rate. The average rate includes a breakfast. Since we got a corporate (cheaper rate) we did not get a breakfast. Either way anything over the average motel cost of $50 is too much.

7. Windows... this is an old motel style from the 80's. Each room has a BIG window facing the hallway. You will end up keeping the curtains constantly shut.

8. Again, the general staff was wonderfull, but the upper staff were not pleasant to deal with and they couldn't tell us how to get around.

Biggest problem we had is: each time we went to the front desk the person was on the phone and was visibly annoyed that they had to stop talking to assist.

Closing:
We have told the company that we were visiting to not suggest the Holiday Inn anymore. Quick note: other people that we met from other visiting companies had VERY similar complaints.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 23, 2006

I recently attended a party at this hotel and feel there is much room for improvement. The staff was unfriendly and the bartenders needs to learn common courtesy. At the end of the party the gifts and envelopes were stolen right under our noses and the staff was very uncaring. We asked about security cameras and it just so happened they were not working on that day. I would feel very unsafe returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank Lucille O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazlet
Best Western Hazlet Inn
#1 of 1 in Atlantic Highlands
Molly Pitcher Inn
Molly Pitcher Inn
#3 of 4 in Red Bank

Been to Holiday Inn Hazlet? Share your experiences!