“A Neighborhood Treat”

Wed, 7/17
8:00 PM
Ranked #3 of 60 Restaurants in Hawthorne
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lafayette
Description: Bottagra brings a Modern Mediterranean flare to a traditional Italian restaurant in North Jersey.Chef-Owner Carlo Carbonaro and Robert Vicari have fused their extensive restaurant and culinary expertise together, offering a variety of dishes originating from the northern and southern regions of Italy. The dining rooms are classic New York City exuding a unique feel reminiscent of modern Tuscan villas. Mosaic tiles adorn the walls; rich exquisite draperies in deep bronzes, golds and chocolate colors compliment the upscale feel to this new chic spot. Bottagra's menu features wonderful fresh and flavorful specials as well as a full bar and an extensive wine list. Experience Bottagra!
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Glad I found this place. Not far from home and easy to get to. Valet parking is a bit much. Welcome was sincere and table was OK but we were hungry, so we went early. Our first visit so we ate off the "Early Bird" menu, which was good but exactly what you would expect in an Italian restaurant. I wish someone had told us the specials. We would have abandoned the menu and eaten the specials. They sounded and look great.
I guess since we were early and the wait staff was busy doing something else, service was spotty. As the time passed it got better but I still wish someone had told us the specials.
We had proseco. The first glass was good but too warm. The second glass was cool as it should have been. We had the 1/2 doz clams, house salad, fried calamari & veal parm. Not exciting choices but very well prepared and served. They exceeded our expectations with the portion sizes. Not hugh but just the right size.
Again, I wish we had stayed off the early bird menu.
We look forward to returning and wish them well.

Date of visit: April 2012

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Dined here on a busy Saturday night. Here are the good and bad:

Good: Great variety of dishes at reasonable prices with quality ingredients. Romantic ambiance for couples. Noisy crowd at the bar and dining room.

Bad: Valet is annoying. This is a restaurant, not a wedding. Wait time for entrees after placing orders bordered 1 ½ hours! Table turnover was super slow so you end up spending a lot of money on alcohol. Bartender at bar served water-downed red wine! Even heard other patrons in the restrooms complaining about that. Not cool when you’re dropping a lot of money in a nice establishment. Specials are very expensive, be sure to ask prices.

Date of visit: March 2012
3  Thank EscapeChick
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We went to Bottagra on a Saturday night. When I first walked in, I expected more of a romantic atmosphere, which it does not have. The dining room is an open area that is separated from the bar by a curtain. The bar could get slightly noisey. I could not hear any music playing, so the atmosphere was just OK. we had fried calamar which was excellent and caesar's salad which was excellent also. I had for dinner the gnocchi with tomatoe sauce and mozarella. The gnocchi were perfect, but the sauce had a slight kick, too much black pepper. My husband had pasta with veal meatballs and sausage. The meal was very good, though it needed more sauce ( he had to steal some of mine). For dessert we had the fondue, which was very good. They had a relatively good wine list with different price ranges. Service was very good. I would recommend and would have given it 5 stars if the atmosphere was more romantic. This restaurant is more for families and friends then for couples alone.

Date of visit: February 2012
1  Thank noelle1156
Reviewed February 6, 2012

my dates are always impressed when i tell them i'm going to bottagra -- it just sounds cool and chicks dig the name. the food is good and the atmosphere is very romantic although reminds me of colonial williamsburg instead of an italian bistro

Date of visit: January 2012
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We did the fixed rice menu. Bread was very good, salad was fresh, and the main course was solid. The desserts were also tasy. I'd eat here again.

If you like noise, sit in the main restaurant. We chose he quiet room, and enjoyed our dinners.

1  Thank Gennaker