“Nice & Clean for Good for Business Stay”

Hilton Hasbrouck Heights / Meadowlands
Southern California
“Nice & Clean for Good for Business Stay”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I frequently fly to New York / New Jersey for business from Southern California at least 3-4 times per year. This trip, I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of the city or stinking car services, so I flew into Newark, rented a car and checked into the Hilton in Hasbrouck Heights.I had a pleasant stay here for 6 days while on business. The location worked out for me because I was working in nearby cities (Englewood, Teterboro, & Paterson).

The room was a nice size, clean, the service was friendly. There is a restaurant downstairs, which comes in handy.The foods is just OK, good enough. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was modern and seemed to be recently upgraded. The Peter Thomas Roth amenity products were a plus.

My only complaint is that there wasn't any hot water for over 5 hours in the hotel at a time when I needed to get ready for a very important meeting. My stay for the day was NOT comped, I just got a free dinner, which I ended up not eating because it was way too salty.

Overall, I would stay here again just for the convienence.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HHHGM, General Manager at Hilton Hasbrouck Heights / Meadowlands, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear rtscent,

I am glad to hear that you enjoy our clean rooms and friendly service. Although, I am sorry you felt that the food was not satisfactory. Your feedback is valuable and I have shared it with the appropriate department heads.

I would also like to apologize about the hot water not being available when you were prepping for your meeting. Our engineering staff needed to do emergency service to our water system and therefore required to shut down the hot water. When doing maintenance work on the building we will do everything we can to make guests aware of a service disruption such as placing letters under guestroom doors. In addition when possible we strategically choose a weekday afternoon when the majority of guests are not in the building. Obviously this was not the case for you which I regret.

Our goal is your satisfaction and with that in mind if your future travels have you back in our area I would like the opportunity to show you that your recent experience was not typical. Please reach out to me when you are planning to return and I’d be happy to personally attend to your reservation.

All the best,

Craig Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed at this Hilton many times before. The staff is always excellent and the rooms comfortable. I was very disspointed in the Gym. Only 2 of the 5 treadmills worked and only 1 of them had a working TV. This is a very important feature to me. One of the bikes was also out of order.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HHHGM, General Manager at Hilton Hasbrouck Heights / Meadowlands, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Diane C,

Thank you for being a loyal Hilton guest. I am glad that you feel that our staff is excellent and the rooms are comfortable. We take pride in a staff that goes above and beyond for our guests.

Our goal is always your satisfaction and we do truly appreciate feedback. I do apologize that your experience at our gym was not satisfactory. All of your comments have been brought to the attention of the appropriate department head. Replacement parts for the malfunctioning gym equipment were ordered some time ago and we expect them in very soon.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope we have the opportunity to meet your accommodation needs when your are next in the area.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I travel a lot for work, as well as leisure. Throughout my life I have stayed at every type of hotel/motel/inn, from 5 star resorts to side of the road motels on road trips. I have always been happy with Hilton hotels. They aren't 5 star resorts but I have come to expect that they are always clean, comfortable, and the staff is typically very accommodating and friendly.

Because I favor Hiltons I decided to book the only one in the area I was traveling to (Hasbrouck Heights, NJ) for 5 days for work. We arrived on a red eye flight at 5 am so I booked the room for the day before so that I wouldn't have to wait until check-in time.

When my family and I walked into the lobby it seemed fine. The lobby was nice enough for a Hilton and the front desk clerk was very friendly. I tried to get an upgrade to a junior suite since we would be there for so long (I always read about people being upgraded for free since it is at the discretion of the hotel) but it wasn't happening (doesn't hurt to try, right!).

The bellhop took us to our room and as soon as the elevator opened up I knew something was wrong. I had requested a non-smoking room (I'm asthmatic) and it reeked! I requested that we be moved. The bellhop assured me that while the floor was a smoking floor, the room was not. (Huh?)

I told him I couldn't even be on a smoking FLOOR so he walked over to a phone on the wall to call the front desk. When he picked up the receiver the entire phone fell off the wall (I kid you not). He told me that we would have to stay in that room until something opened up on a non-smoking floor. I took a couple of puffs on my inhaler and ventured into the room to wait.

Mind you, we hadn't slept all night and it was 7 am in the morning so at that point we just wanted to SIT DOWN. I surveyed the room and was immediately horrified. The carpets were stained, there was mold the walls, the wallpaper was peeling, and the furniture looked like it been left out in the rain and brought back in (and smelled like it too).

About 20 minutes later he came back to get us and move us up a floor to a new room. Unfortunately, the next room was even worse (I have posted pictures). I got on the phone with Hilton and they basically said there was nothing they could do except relay my concerns to the hotel, that I would have to take it up with actual hotel myself (I'm assuming they are individually owned and operated).

The manager of the hotel then called and asked what he could do to make us stay. I told him, "Nothing." He reluctantly agreed that the best course of action would be to refund our money.

Thankfully I found another hotel (Homewood Suites by Hilton) which was further than we had anticipated and that experience completely made up for the Hasbrouck Heights Hilton fiasco (I also left a a review on that experience).

I hope this review helps anyone that is thinking of staying here. You may have a different experience than we did but they should not even be able to call this hotel a Hilton.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HHHGM, General Manager at Hilton Hasbrouck Heights / Meadowlands, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Tarra,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I am glad that you found our front desk agent friendly and the lobby nice.

I am sorry that you were originally put on a smoking floor but pleased to hear we were able to change room type. Over the past two weeks we have become a 100% smoke free hotel and all the rooms on the smoking floor have gone through an extensive deep cleaning and deodorizing treatment to eliminate cigarette smoke residue and odor. In addition the maintenance items that you pointed out in the second room have all been noted and addressed. It is unfortunate that we did not have the opportunity to WOW you. If your business does bring you back to the area I would like the opportunity to welcome you to the Hilton Hasbrouck Heights. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when you make a reservation.

Travelers are raving about these Hasbrouck Heights hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on Tuesday January 15, 2013. We arrived exhausted from a long drive from Niagara Falls. We love the hilton brand and stayed at embassy suites in Niagara Falls. I thought that the stay there was great, but our stay here at the Hilton Hasbrouck Heights was FANTASTIC and WAY BEYOND EXPECTATIONS. I booked our stay just 18 hours before arrival using the hilton website. I got a nice 1 bedroom junior suite. I noted in the booking notes that we were coming to NYC area for our wedding anniversary celebrations and asked if we could get a nice view of NYC. In my opinion, suite 1127 (the Monarch Suite) has the BEST view of NYC in the hotel and likely in the area. In addition to the benefits of being a Hilton Gold Member, Laura Javier, went way above and beyond to make our celebration amazing. Laura arranged for a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries to be delivered to our room. She also gave us certificates for two for continental breakfast the next morning. I was able to upgrade these for $5 each to a full hot buffet breakfast which was DELICOUS. Laura Javier was also there the next morning and went out of her way to speak to my wife to ask her about the stay and she also was very sweet and kind to our baby boy Jacob (5 months old). Additionally, I had some important documents needing to be scanned and sent to a client. She got them scanned for me.
Thank you Laura, and thank you Hilton Hasbrouck Heights.

Room Tip: book online
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HHHGM, General Manager at Hilton Hasbrouck Heights / Meadowlands, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear MKassapian:

We are so happy to hear that you had a great stay, enjoyed the wonderful views of New York City, relaxed over a great breakfast but more importantly that you were well taken care of by the hotel team.

I do agree with you that Laura is a tremendous ambassador for what we believe in at this hotel and Hilton Worldwide as a company. I’m thrilled that had the opportunity to experience Laura’s commitment to hospitality.

I do hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again.

All the best,

Belmont Shore, California, United States
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our stay here was short but very sweet. Traveling for business isn't always the funnest or easiest, yet our stay here was great. We were accommodated above and beyond our expectations, whether it be the service at check in and our many questions (we are from CA) to helping me with directions to the nearest starbuck's as well as accomodating our changed scheduled mtg with our client by letting us check out late. The rooms were clean, the housekeeping ladies were very kind and I thank the entire staff for their hospitality, and a special thanks to Erica, MaryAnn, and Laura. You girls were amazing and made my administration duties so much easier. I appreciate all your help. I will for sure stay here again next time I am in the area. Best to you!

Dear Kristin F:

Excellent” is what we strive for and love to hear back from our guests.

Thank you for your kind words and positive feedback. You mention many things however I do agree with your comment about the team at the front desk and in particular Erica, Laura and Maryann. I have seen them in action and there focus on providing the very best service is amazing.

I hope we do have another opportunity to meet your hotel needs when back in the area.

Regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this Hilton for one night while on a business trip. The customer service was lacking. Hilton Hotels usually have much more to offer. The hotel was a little run down, the furniture was a worn, and the paint needed touching up. The hotel is located near the interstate. Therefore, it was a very noisy night.

Once I arrived at the Hilton via yellow cab from Newark Airport. Unbeknown to me, the cab driver informed me that I needed to pay cash, not credit card!! Beware of cab drivers. I was told at the airport by the cab service that I could use a credit card.....Maybe it's a New Jersey thing??

• Stayed January 2013
HHHGM, General Manager at Hilton Hasbrouck Heights / Meadowlands, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Samrdh:

We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected.

Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay.

Again, we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and we want you to know that we will make the necessary adjustments for our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Having lived in Hackensack about 10 years ago, I was familiar with the Hilton in Hasbrouck Heights, and had actually had family members stay there during that time. I was mortified by the condition of the hotel when I had four colleagues join me there in December....

When I checked in, reception was quick and efficient, and I was off to my room in a jiffy. The elevators showed lots of scratches on the doors, but were quick. The hallway to the rooms were dark, dank, and narrow. There were room service trays all down the hall, and the doors had scratches and dings all over them. When I opened my door, I was literally knocked over by the cigarette smell despite it being a non-smoking room. Not a problem, the front desk changed me to a different room.

The new room smelled better, but that was about it. Parts of the room appeared to have been recently renovated with a nice new TV and desk, but the rest of the room showed incredible wear. The wallpaper was peeling off in places, and furniture had lots of dings and scratches. The HVAC system was irritating as the fan wouldn't stay in the 'on' position (you'll need the white noise to drown out the outside traffic noise). The worst part? The tub was incredibly slow to drain - so slow that the water rose and rinsed all the accumulated nastiness off the bottom of the curtain and deposited it in the tub for me to clean. Awesome.

But, there are some positives. The business center had free printing, and the gym was one of the best I've had on the road in ages.

Net, skip this one. The Marriott at Glenpointe in Teaneck is well worth the extra cost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Brad A
Dear Brad A:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with your guest room. I have notified our Engineering team to look into the tub drains.

Your feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience.

Again, we apologize for the inconveniences and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hasbrouck Heights
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck Heights
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck...
#1 of 3 in Hasbrouck Heights
Crowne Plaza - Saddle Brook
Crowne Plaza - Saddle Brook
#2 of 4 in Saddle Brook
Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park

Been to Hilton Hasbrouck Heights / Meadowlands? Share your experiences!