“A Blast from the past!”
Review of Bendix Diner

Bendix Diner
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our first visit to the Bendix diner even though we've passed it many times on Route 17. We decided to give it a try for breakfast despite some of the prior poor reviews. We were pleasantly surprised. My daughter ordered the "Truckers Special" which consisted of 3 pancakes, 4 strips of bacon and 2 eggs. She also had a chocolate milk which was really good. I ordered blueberry pancakes and an order of home fries. My pancakes were loaded with fresh blueberries. I also ordered an orange juice which was okay definitely not fresh squeezed. The restaurant was clean and the service was professional and attentive but not overly friendly. Our food came quickly.

The inside of the restaurant definitely has that nostalgic feel. Some of the decor looks original.

We plan to visit again some time for lunch & dinner. It was definitely worth the trip

1  Thank TrumpetMom

Reviewed July 11, 2012

It's pretty gross, and there are creepy truckers here most of the time. The sign on the roof is broken, so are some of the chairs and a window or two. Food isn't terrible, but it's a little skeevy for my tastes.

2  Thank Jeff H
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Everyone should visit at least once.From the loose eggs to the hash browns and the juicy burgers this is a New Jersey icon.It could be in the middle of a Febuary snowstorm,in the middle of the night, you will see the red lights of the Bendix Diner in the distance.Even when the blind waiter and the short order cook were the only ones there,you still felt comfortable.What could be better than sitting in the Bendix Diner listening to Bruce Springsteen on the juke box after a night of slugging down beers in a local N.J. pub.Those were the glory days!

6  Thank ChALUTCH
Reviewed April 23, 2012

On an impromptu stop I discovered that this old diner has really good food. My son and I stopped for breakfast this past Sunday morning and it was great! My son had the western omelet, and I had the trucker special with three pancakes, two fried eggs, and crisp bacon. We both had coffee with three creamers each. The portions were large, and the taste was very good. The waitress was cordial and most helpful. The location is great, right along a main route to travel from the New Jersey Meadowlands area toward the NYS Thruway.

2  Thank VermontCapecodder
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My husband and i both had hash,homefries, eggs and toast. Food was hot and the serving was a decent size. Had to really flag down the waiter but i think he meant well..he was the only waitstaff and seemed a little overwhelmed (but in the clueless way, not the stressed out way). Wouldve loved a glass of water and a coffee refill but couldnt get him back once we got our food. Had the cook track him down for the bill. Ambiance of old diner, lots of local men who were clearly retired regulars. Loved listening to them teasing eachother and talking with the grill cook. A retired Giants player came in with his family, obviously another local..learned later that this place had been in a few movies and was recently used by People magazine for a photo shoot. Liked the fact that the diner boasted none of that on their walls or menus. Clearly an authentic nj diner.
Beware of the bathroom, it only had dish soap for handwashing and needed a scrubbing. Makes me always wonder about areas in there that the public cant see!

3  Thank Adornment