“Consistenly the Best Casual Seafood Restaurant on Long Beach Island”

Harvey Cedars Shellfish Co
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Visited my favorite seafood restaurant for the first time this summer on a Friday evening in late June. We were a party of two at 8:15 PM, and we were seated quickly. Service throughout the meal, as usual, was prompt, friendly and appropriate, without interrupting our conversation. We took our own bottle of chilled wine by the way. Small, yes. Informal, yes. Noise, so what do you expect? ... it's usually laughter and spirited conversations.

The Calameri Vera Cruz (appetizer) is my favorite starter here, so, again it was the never-rubbery squid rings (not local of course), fried perfectly to order, and topped with a tasteful "salsa" of fresh tomato, peppers (Jersey Fresh when in season), and garlic, etc. We got the sauteed littlenecks as well, served with some garlic toast to sop up the clam juices swapping with the sauce, so good! Clams in some form at this place is a must, somehow, at some point, done some way. For my taste, the clam chowder is the always consistently the best on the island, (regrardless of the tourist-season prolonging attempts of the Chowderfest entries for that event in October). Occasionally, I've had my dinner simply of steamed littleneck clams at this wonderful place.

Favorite entrees include broiled scallops or flounder, baked stuffed flounder, grilled yellowfin tuna, but usually like to try a suggestion the server has that may be something fresh that the local brothers Garofalo (owners for over thirty years) have ready. I have NEVER been disappointed in the seafood. No pretentious drizzling and or bragging about the menu ... and no outrageous prices for a few ounces of seafood.

I have been enjoying Harvey Cedars Shellfish Co. with family and friends for about thirty years now. This place deserves all the accolades it has received over the years for being the best of the Jersey Shore. It has and will outlast the many other small, seasonal restaurants ... seafood or otherwise ... at any price point on all of Long Beach Island or the mainland across from it.

5  Thank rwa
There are newer reviews for Harvey Cedars Shellfish Co

Reviewed June 22, 2008

If you want seafood, this is a great place to go to. It's small and loud, but the food is good and so is the very prompt service.
We were seated quickly as there were only 2 of us...larger tables, which were actually picnic tables, were full of families chowing down on all kinds of seafood platters. Our drink order was taken...note this is BYOB, and a loaf of warm bread was brought over. Shortly afterwards we received our entrees. I got a lobster platter w/mussells and corn on the cob. I thought it was pretty good for $20. My husband got the chilled seafood platter for $19...it was small crab claws and crab salad with jumbo shrimp...he liked it. They're only open in season so I would suggest going early so that you don't have to wait too long for a table. Nice fresh seafood at pretty decent prices!

1  Thank razzzbere