“Worth every delicious bite!”
Review of Black Eyed Susans

Black Eyed Susans
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Eyed Susans is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I read all of the reviews and was not sure what to expect. Will it be overpriced? Will the owner & staff be rude? Will the food be as good as they say?

To my pleasant surprise, the food was very delicious! No "greasy stink" here! The menu had wonderful selections that were healthfully prepared. For starters, I had the seafood salad which was excellent. My husband had the Octopus which was nice (although it had a seasoning neither of us liked). My son had a shrimp cocktail and loved it (I tasted his cocktail sauce and it was amazing - best I ever had). For our main course, my husband had the crab cakes which were very nice and fresh. I had a half lobster and side of Quinoa & veg - loved it! My son had the gnocchi and said it was so-so. We tasted it and liked it very much. My daughter was a bit more finicky so the kitchen prepared a special order of pasta in a butter sauce - she loved it. So yes, the food is excellent!

When the owner came to our table, I had my back up ready for attitude. There was none! In fact, she was very pleasant. And given it was my birthday, she generously comped our yummy chocolate Pavlova. (no, this did not influence my opinion).

When the bill came I was expecting to have to wash some dishes. Last year we had a HORRIBLE meal at Ship Bottom Shellfish that cost about $160 for our family of 4. Given the reviews for Black Eye Susan's said it was expensive, I brought $300 to be safe. The food was so yummy, I was sure we were going to be short on cash. Incredibly, the bill came and it was only $160. We were shocked! The prices are very reasonable!

We will definitely go back again! And I would highly recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank tgmackay

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Second trip to this restaurant and not impressed!! Food mediocre at best. gazpacho soup good but crab in it had shells. My husband had the fluke special and he said it was bland and nothing special. I had the house specialty crab cakes. Very boring and dry served with fingerling potatoes and a horseradish sauce that was also tasteless and very scanty. The problem with this establishment is that the staff does not communicate complaints to management which leaves the customers to say to themselves they don't care how I feel about the food. I mentioned to our server to let the chef know that the soup had shells not picked out previous to serving. No one from management came over to acknowledge my complaint! Not going back nor recommending this restaurant.

2  Thank donnarda
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Amazing night out ... We were treated to a Birthday dinner with our children tonight. Once we got out of the rain we were treated to a warm room filled with great light and a warm atmosphere. the staff was well versed on the menu and the owners were at our table to check in after we were served our dinners. The Tilefish and the Crabcake entree was delicious, not much inside but fragrant herbs and plump sweet crab. call ahead to make a advanced reservation , tables book up quickly.

2  Thank Antonio B
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The food was good, but, way too over-priced for the portion. A meal of 4oz. of lobster (per the waiter), kale and about 10 pieces of gnocchi was $36 - this is a la carte. The food and service is very good, but, they are clearly charging ridiculous prices to make up for the fact that they are not making money selling alcohol - this restaurant is byob. There are much better places available.

2  Thank Michelle12866
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The food was great - had shrimp and grits appetizer, amongst the best we've ever had. Tuna appetizer was good as well, could have been sliced thinner and seasoned. Crab cake entree was delicious - very fresh, no filler, the dill sauce that was under them slightly overpowered the mild crab flavor. Too much dill. Chicken entree was done well. Great flavor. Bread pudding dessert was more of a bread cake, tasty, high end chocolate, but too dry to be called a pudding.

The atmosphere - stuffy, elite pastel outfits of the vacationing, raised pinkie finger, uber-rich from Loveladies was just too stuffy for our tastes.

Our waiter was impeccably trained, not intrusive, yet attentive. A true pro at his job. A+ on his part.

While the food and service was excellent, just not our type of crowd. Slightly less packed and loud compared to a high end Theater-district restaurant before show time. And pricey. And cash only. If we want very upscale, perfectly prepared food, we'll stick with Richard at the Gables.