“Fantastic!!”
Review of Black Eyed Susans

Black Eyed Susans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Cash Only, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Surf City, New Jersey
“Fantastic!!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We love this restaurant! We've eaten here numerous times over the last two years and every time the food is fresh and wonderful. The staff are attentive and know their food and the owner/s are more than accommodating. Being a vegetarian, this is a huge plus. Thank you, Black Eye Susan's, we'll be back soon!

Harvey Cedars, New Jersey
“AMAZING!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family and I had dinner here last night and it was absolutely amazing. Definitely one of the best meals we've had, not just in LBI, but overall.

I wouldn't say the prices are too steep either as other reviewers did, it is more expensive than a Harvey Cedars Shellfish or something of that sort, but you certainly get what you pay for. It is better priced than Yellowfin or Plantation and the chefs here are far more talented.

3 of us at the table had the roasted beet salad which was delicious - even if you are not typically a fan of beets, I recommend trying! We also had the tuna sashimi, which was an amazing mix of flavors and excellent quality.

For our entrees two at the table ordered the pan seared fluke. I normally do not like fluke all that much - I find it to be a flavorless fish, but it was great!! Perfectly cooked with a crisp texture on the ends and the vegetables and corn broth it was served over added exquisite flavor to the dish. I had the scallops, which I also never order out, amazing! They were served with a zucchini puree and assortment of fresh vegetables, so so good. Lastly, I'd say the best dish at our table were the crab cakes, to die for. You MUST order them, we have had our fair share of crab cakes and all agreed they were the best we had ever tried.

We didn't have room for dessert unfortunately, because I'm sure it would've been unreal. However, this was a fantastic meal, and not ridiculously expensive, especially because it is BYOB, so we had our own wine.

The service is wonderfully attentive and pleasant, we loved our waitress as well. The presentation is amazing, such beautiful dishes, exactly mirroring how the tastes are going to be.

Overall, if you are looking for a great meal on your vacation down LBI - go here!! You will NOT be disappointed!

3 Thank srb28
New york
“Great food!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We ate at this restaurant last night and felt that we had finally found a restaurant in LBI that is worth going to.

Reading the other reviews here helps me to understand why there is so much junky, horrible food on the Shore. Get a clue people. Black Eye Susans actually serves real food from fresh high quality ingredients in human-sized portions. And my gosh, it is not smothered, fried, or otherwise rendered mush!

I know. "How can one eat when one can actually recognize the sight and taste of the ingredients?! And how can one get filled up when the portions are only small enough to satisfy hunger? And no stuffed with cheese, bread crumbs, fried food, and mystery meats?!"

That must be what goes through the minds of 99% of the diners at the Shore. I am so tired of going to overpriced restaurants that destroy the food. But at least now I understand why.

Well, for those few who actually appreciate real, high-quality food I highly recommend this place. The food is interesting and simple. There is no risk of feeling slightly queasy due to some unknown filler or bad oils. The ingredients are obviously top-notch and I like my food to be that way. If you do too, go there.

By the way, the service is a tad cold. Just a vibe I got. There is one woman (the owner?) who is always around and very warm and friendly. But the wait staff should be more down-to-earth and warm. Although this sort of thing usually comes from above so perhaps the owner is like that?

2 Thank Jimibell
nj
“If You Go, Bring A Gas Mask”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had a wonderful dinner marred at the end by the kitchen roasting peppers and filling the restaurant with noxious fumes. Our party of five along with the other two tables with couples were all overcome and coughed uncontrollably. As we hacked and gagged, the server apologized and asked if we wanted s check. Another server opened some windows but we couldnt wait to get out into the fresh air. As we exited, a woman who may have been a manager/owner apologized and asked how our dinners were. As we coughed, we said we enjoyed everything except being poisoned by the fumes. It is astonishing that they witnessed multiple guests in their restaurant clearly in distress and pretty much ignored it. They are fortunate that none of us had asthma or some other serious breathing issue that would've resulted in a trip to the ER. This was easily one of the best and worst dinners we've ever had. We've been here before and enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately, after this experience we will be hard pressed to return,

New York City, New York
“Not worth it”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Food was not very good. There were shells in the crab cakes. The service was just okay.
The pickled vegetables were not very tasty. The porch seating is either very hot or you hear the old air conditioning rumbling. The steak was just okay.

1 Thank Ellen C