Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Harrison
Jerusalem, Israel
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the end of September. Price was OK for weekends. Good standard American breakfast. Nice swimming pool. Free WIFI. They have a business center with computers and a printer. It's useful if you need to print something.
The rooms are quite large and comfortable. There's a view to the river. But there was noise from a nearby train. It was a bit disturbing, but not too much. The shuttle from Pen Station to the hotel and back was OK. There was one thing, though, that I did not like about this hotel: we ordered a suite with 2 queen beds and a sofa bed (for 5 people), but when we arrived and wanted to check-in, the receptionist told us that someone extended their stay and that they are oversold, so we cannot have the type of room we ordered. Instead he offered us a suite of the same size but with one king bed and a sofa bed. He even said he'd bring in a single bed on wheels. We were very angry about this, but had no choice but to accept the offer. We got up to the room and saw that it should be OK. Nevertheless, we insisted on a compensation and the receptionist agreed with us about it. So he told us that we'll get one night off of our account. That was fair enough and we agreed. However, in the receipt we received under our door the morning we left there was no sign of the promised night off! That is, we were charged for the full stay (2 nights)! I came down to reception and after some inquiries the receptionist agreed to take one night off, as promised.
So the bottom line is that our stay was OK but the hotel's behavior was not!
If you book a room there, make sure a day or two in advance that the room you order is indeed available!

Room Tip: Take a room that is not facing the train.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I booked this hotel based on the great reviews it was getting here and was looking forward to my stay. To my surprise though, when we arrived there late on Friday we found the hotel was "temporarily closed". I imagine it was damaged during Hurricane Sandy as it's close to the water but that does not excuse the fact that no one called us from Hampton Inn (or Hilton) to notify us that the hotel we had booked and prepaid was closed. So, here we were, my family and I, stranded in the middle of nowhere at 9:30 at night with no hotel. After a number of expensive internet searches and calls on my cell (roaming in the US from Canada) I was finally able to reach Hilton customer assistance who were able to find me another hotel in the area. Customer assistance was great but even they were not aware that the hotel was closed.
So, as my title says, could have been good but can only give them a terrible rating because they did not contact us to inform us the hotel was closed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank RLarok
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Hi, Please could someone let me know if this hotel is still in operation. I read all the reviews and have booked to stay here over the new year on a non refundable basis but no one is responding on the published hotel number. It was ideal for our stay and as this is soon I would like it if someone either from management / head office could respond. I keep getting an engaged tone. A message of some sort ( for an anxious traveller ) would be appreciated either on the phone or the website. Thank you.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank yasmin55
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

This was my first ever stay at a Hampton Inn, ever, and is the hotel that made me move my loyalty from Marriott to Hilton. The staff at this hotel is the best I have ever dealt with at any Hotel. They offer shuttle service to and from the airport and train station, and also offer shuttle service to and from "work" daily, although that is dependent on distance. The hotel is always spotless and comfortable.

This is one of the few Hampton Inns that has a bar in the lobby. This Hampton Inn gets a lot of long term business travelers, mostly due to the staff in the hotel. The bar allows for unwinding at the end of the day and also socializing. The hotel does invest in a Wednesday Night Manager Reception. It is a great time.

Breakfast every morning was typical Hampton Inn fare. There is an amazing restaurant, Tops Diner, two blocks from the hotel. If the shuttle is available, they will get you to the IronBound district for other meal choices.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

A great place to stay. There is a shuttle to the Newark PATCO/PATH station. If you miss the shuttle after midneight, you can take a $10 taxi ride to the Inn. The rooms are clean, large and well appointed. Free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LenSchwartz
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had a 2 day stay which turned out to be a 3-4 day stay because of hurricane sandy. Initially I was disappointed with the hotel charging 10 USD for each call made, and my hotel bill turned out to be 70 dollars extra. However, the friendly hotel staff managed to help me reduce it to 30 dollars.

When the storm hit, the place lost power, and the lobby was flooded. However the staff were golden. Amazing staff and service. If there was another hurricane that hit, god forbid, I will want to stay here again. They gave out free food, free water ( lots of variety of food like donuts, coffee) and tried their best to help us look for another location to stay. In addition, they did not charge for the extra days even though technically we werent supposed to be there after more than 2 days. They did not drive us away as well because they understood that it was almost close to impossible to find another place to stay after the hurricane. They even sent us to our next hotel using their hotel shuttle even though gas was running low for all of the hotels.

Special thanks to the staff for making this nightmare of a hurricane a tolerable experience.
I would recommend people to go back there because it was a amazing place with great facillities, good location ( broad street in newark) and amazing amazing staff. This place might not reopen so soon so I would recommend you to double check to see if it's open before making reservations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sizhao
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Completely messed up our reservations despite requesting adjoining rooms for kids upon original reservation and calling to Confirm request two times and now we are stuck in separate rooms dealing with the kids. I am sitting in the bathroom while they sleep because of the mess up of the reservation. The perfumed smells in the room causing my husband an asthma attack and my child to get a headache. Horrible customer service m

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank SjrDc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrison
BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel
Element Harrison-Newark
#2 of 2 in Harrison
4.0 of 5 stars 197 reviews
Hotel Indigo Newark Downtown
Courtyard Newark Downtown

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk? Share your experiences!