“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Harrison
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We visited NYC with family from England and we're not rich people but wanted to do our best for our visitors. Through the Internet I found this gem close enough for a quick train ride into the city and within our budget. The experience was wonderful from checking in to sadly checking out. We actually stayed an extra day because we didn't want to leave. The snack area is a little on the chintsey (poor) side but we fell in love with Tops Diner just down the road where you get great service and huge helpings of fantastic food.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Torontax

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Our family and several other families went to New York City recently and stayed at this Hampton Inn. It was a convenient location, near New York but not right in the city, so it was considerably cheaper. Also, the free breakfast was a great bonus and the refrigerator allowed us to keep drinks and lunch meat so that we could make some extra meals. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the indoor pool was a big hit with the kids. One drawback was the train that ran right by the hotel, but if you can block out the noise (we kept the air conditioning running to create white noise!), you can still get a good night's sleep. We drove into the city from the hotel and were able to get in and out pretty easily. One night, we ate at the diner down the street and got tons of pretty good food for a reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 16, 2011

This hotel is very nice and the room was very nice and very clean. The shuttle service to Newark Penn station was excellent and quick. This made for a very nice trip into New York City and I had to do was call them when I was one stop away from Newark Penn for pickup and they were there in about 10 minutes. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I have never written a review before, but felt compelled to say how much we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The shuttle bus that took us to Penn Station every morning was a nice touch. We got lost and took a cab back the first night and it cost us $10.00. The shuttle bus drivers were efficient, courteous and very funny.

The complimentary breakfast was great. There was a wide selection of hot and cold foods, and if you went away hungry, it was your own fault.

The hotel itself was very easy to find. There is a Dunkin Donuts across the street for those that don't like hotel coffee.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and plan to stay here again myself when I plan my next NYC vacation.

Room Tip: Our room was a river view, but also had a lot of noise from the train. I don't know if the room...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Very pleased with my one-night stay. Room was very clean, up-to-date, and had standard Hampton Inn features (minifridge/microwave; free Wifi). Bed was exceptionally comfortable. Despite being located right next door to the elevators, I had no noise issues from either the hall or adjoining room.

Common areas were also very clean. Although I did not use the fitness center, I regretted not bringing my gear, as it was larger and looked nicer than I find fitness centers in Hamptons to generally be. It featured three new-looking treadmills and at least two ellipticals -- there may have been more equipment, but I only did a quick glance through the door. Eating area for breakfast was spacious and featured a good amount of seating. Breakfast options were standard but more than adequate -- fresh fruit salad, yogurts, oatmeal, cereals, breads (english muffins, bread, bagels) with toaster and spreads (including peanut butter, honey, butter, jam, and cream cheese) available, and waffle maker. Hot options on my morning were home fries and southwestern-style omelets, which I did not sample but looked fine.

The hotel features a free shuttle service that will take you not only to the Newark train station but also to the Newark airport as well as various stops within Newark (for example, I had a meeting near City Hall, and they were more than happy to drop me off).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
NE Ohio
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was a great Hampton Inn. We stayed 2 nights on points over Labor Day weekend. We didn't get a chance to use the pool or fitness center (enough exercise walking all over NYC), but both looked adequate. The breakfast area was huge, decent selection, and there's even a bar open in the evenings if you're so inclined. There is a free shuttle that goes to the airport and Newark's Penn Station, where you can take the PATH train into Manhattan.

The only blip of the entire stay was the shuttle. The first night we came down and asked when it would be there and were told 10-15 minutes. We walked over to the breakfast area (across the lobby), and wandered back over toward the front entrance after about 10 minutes, only to find out that the shuttle come, and gone. I was not that impressed with the front desk boys (literally, they all looked 20), in that they could have alerted the driver that people were waiting to get on it before it took off. It had been 10 minutes since we'd spoken with them, not an hour. And we were sitting 25 feet away. The next morning, there were a LOT of people waiting to get on it to go to the train station, and it was chaos when it finally pulled up, with each of the families jockeying for position to be able to get on it. There should be a better system, I'd think. First come, first served, take a number, something. We all managed to fit, with kids sitting on laps, but I would have been irritated if we'd had to wait another 35 minutes for it to come back, since we were (having learned our lesson the night before) standing outside the entrance waiting for it before anyone else.

The only other negative is the lack of restaurants in close proximity to the hotel itself. Then when you venture out in Newark, 99.9% of the restaurants have only on-street parking...so on a Saturday night, at 7:30pm, there was literally NO WHERE to park. Instead of a great little Mexican place, we ended up at Wendy's. YUCK!

Overall, though, the hotel was great. Basically brand new. Nice little riverwalk immediately behind the hotel. Free parking. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Mom2Monkeys
ontario
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Staff were freindly and rooms very clean.
Had a shuttle to drop you off at places.
Shuttle even picked us up after Jersey/Leaf hockey game

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrison
Element Harrison-Newark
#2 of 2 in Harrison
Newark Central Business District
Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel
Newark Central Business District
Courtyard Newark Downtown
Comfort Suites Newark
#13 of 16 in Newark

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk? Share your experiences!