“Best Szechuan cuisine ever!”
Review of Szechuan House

Szechuan House
Ranked #25 of 103 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 15, 2013

So far Szechuan House in Hamilton is the best szechuan food I have ever tasted in the US. It is even better than some szechuan restaurants in my home country. It is truly authentic, and so delicious.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have been there with a couple of Chinese friends of mine, who suggested this place as authentic Chinese restaurant. I really enjoyed the dinner, starting from the décor of the restaurant, which is pleasant and relaxing. The food is kind of spicy, but the level is "American spicy", so it is definitely enjoyable! I had some chicken with nuts and soy sauce, and sliced beef and tripe with scallion as appetizers, and pork bacon with scallion and green pepper as the main course. I'm not an expert of Chinese cuisine, so I cannot really distinguish between the Szechuan cuisine and the others, but I definitely recommend it if you want to have some authentic Chinese food.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Szechuan House is where we go to experience true spicy Chinese food, well prepared and served. The wait staff is eager to explain the many dishes offered, and describe the specials of the day. Tonight we had chicken and bamboo shoots in a spicy sauce as an appetizer, then our favorite, crispy fish in pickled vegetable sauce. Yummy! These flavors are not to be found in any other Chinese restaurants, as the recipes are authentic and not dumbed down for American tastes. Looking around we see that almost all the other diners are Asian; that says a lot. For us Americans who like to experiment with new tastes, this place is tops. If you are feeling adventurous, try the rabbit served in a chafing dish--super spicy so beware. If you're the type who won't go beyond lo-mein or chicken and broccoli, this may not be your place. But, if you crave the real deal, this is for you!

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I consider myself knowledgeable about Chinese food. Rarely do I find a place that reinforces the knowledge that Chinese cuisines are probably the best. This place was recommended by a physician (who is Chinese) that I saw.

I was bowled over with the food. Not since the days when I worked near Chinatown in NYC have I encountered such authentic Szechuan cooking. It was there that I first had Szechuan cooking, when the first such restaurant (Szechuan Taste) opened.

Many dishes were new to me and everything is good. I happen to like spicy food and am eager to eat what some people think of a peculiar things (innards and such). Those things abound in this restaurant's menu. Unfortunately my wife likes neither hot nor peculiar things. So when we go together we order other things. So far everything has been extremely good. Even non-Szechuan items are well prepared. I guess that at a good restaurant everything is well made.

Note that most places calling themselves Szechuan restaurants are not. They just pile on the heat with chili peppers. While those kind of peppers are appropriate to Szechuan cuisine, the use of Szechuan pepper (which is not a pepper) is essential. The taste that you get from that combination of spice is called "ma la". And it is wonderful.

If you are willing to try a different type of cooking, try this place.

1  Thank Jerry_Bank
Reviewed December 24, 2011

I've been privy to the fact that Chinese families that have there own restaurants eat at this restaurant. The food is great. A little more upscale than others. The sauces have great flavor and the menu has many items found only in their menu.

1  Thank Jgmattal

Been to Szechuan House? Share your experiences!