“Strange name for restaurant - food is very good!”
Review of Rat's Restaurant

Rat's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Rat's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Sculpture Way
Transit: Less than 3 miles from the Hamilton, NJ Amtrak/NJ Transit complex
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Strange name for restaurant - food is very good!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Who would think of naming a restaurant "Rats"? There are lots of Seward Johnson sculptures at the Grounds for Sculpture and the restaurant is named for his favorite character from Wind in the Willows. Believe me, the food will make you think of anything other than that character! From the welcome to the goodbye, the staff was terrific. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and the preparation of the items we inquired about. He took care that my friend's allergy concerns were eased by assuring her that she could order exactly what she wanted and served a dish that proved he was right. The only complaint I had was about the pasta that is used in the Rabbit Ragout - I think bucatini is too difficult to twirl onto a fork, and would like the dish much better if it were served with fettuccine or tagliatelle. Other than that one small detail, the leisurely lunch we enjoyed was very good and not in the least rushed. The next time I'm there, I want to try the outside dining.

Hamilton, NJ USA
“Just a real treat”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Have visited here for happy hour as well as lunch several times. You are always made to feel well taken care of, and the food is delicious. Service is spot on, and the atmosphere is rich and inviting. A hidden gem in Hamilton, NJ but becoming more popular as time goes by. The food choices during happy hour are tasty and reasonably priced.

• Visited April 2014
Brattleboro, Vermont
“Spectacular food in a spectacular setting!”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Museum food is dependably acceptable, but this place is blew-my-socks-off terrific. The bill came to half of what we were expecting for a meal of this calibre.
The setting for outdoor dining is drop-dead exquisite. The menu is brilliantly seasonal and impeccably prepared. Given the chef 's dead-on aesthetic sense, you probably won't find the same menu we did, but let me whet your appetite by describing a couple of our faves. A Mediterranean/Provençal appetizer served two amply with a variety of delicious vegetable dips and an extraordinarily generous helping of mixed olives along with a warm crispy flatbread. An appetizer flatbread/tart carried a melted cheese mixture generously sprinkled with spring morels and grilled ramps, topped with an impeccably poached egg.
My dessert was spectacular-- a flat soup dish with a layer of panna cotta topped with a mound of sliced fresh strawberries, a few slices of fresh stewed rhubarb and a handful of black-pepper (!) thumbnail sized mini-meringues and then a flourish of rhubarb coulis. Nothing short of brilliant.
Two of the tarts, two entrees, one dessert and a half bottle of Sancerre set us back only around $100 before tip. We were so surprised we checked the bill twice!
Service was impeccable. Our friend ate less than 1/2 of her cream cheese mousse dessert. She told our concerned waiter that it was too much sweet for her to eat...and he removed it from the bill.

Brick, New Jersey
“Very rude front of the house staff”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband, our son and I went to Rats after viewing the grounds for sculpture. We stood at the front desk for 10 minutes with no one acknowledging us. There was a women on the phone and a man seating people. They didn't even look at us or say anything. A group of ladies walked right in front of my husband and started to speak to the hostess and she sat them before us. We left, and I will never go back. We had very fund memories of Rats, we had our engagement party there and the grounds for sculpture is where my husband proposed to me. I really believe they ignored us because we had a toddler with us. I was standing there with a carriage. We called and spoke to a manager and told him what happen. He was very apologetic, and said he would seat us right away, but it was too late. The manager was the man who ignored us on the first place. The food is very good at Rats but the front of the house staff ruined the restaurant and it's reparation to us.

Visited May 2014
Moorestown, New Jersey
“Delicious view ... and food”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Took in the view of the Monet bridge. ... The savory cheese appetizer ... and mussels ... and drinks before and after a visit to beautiful the sculpture grounds.
This is one of my favorite finds as a NJ visitor.