“It's the atmosphere and service that are worth the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rat's

Rat's
Reserve with OpenTable
Rat's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 92 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Sculpture Way
Transit: Less than 3 miles from the Hamilton, NJ Amtrak/NJ Transit complex
Princeton NJ
“It's the atmosphere and service that are worth the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had the $39 three course prix fixe dinner last evening with 2 friends who
ordered the $55 prix fixe that includes 3 glasses of wine. This is a genuine bargain considering the beautiful ambiance and the attentive service. It is offered on weekdays only.
For appetizers, two of us ordered a tart with duck confit and the 3rd person had French onion soup. These were all delicious, and served in generous portions. They chose a glass of house pinot noir with 2 of the courses and a dessert wine with their desserts.
The house bread was crusty and delicous, and an amuse gueule of strawberries and cream cheese on crispbread preceeded the appetizers.
I had grilled salmon steak, which came on a bed of fresh stewed chick peas and kale. The salmon was done to the medium well stage, although I wasn't aked how I wanted it.It had a nice crust and was well seasoned, as were the vegetables.
One of us had a pasta dish with noodles that tasted homemade and was very much enjoyed. The other had short ribs, which he found a bit dry and underseasoned. All the portions were generous enough to take home leftovers, which came in aluminum foil pakets molded into the shape of a rat.
The dessert cakes were good, but not exceptional. The coffees, on the other hand were truly wonderful.
With the coffees, a sampler of small bites of sweets was offered.
This experience reminded me of meals I have had in fine restaurants in France, if the food quality was a bit uneven and not cutting edge.
I would definitely plan a celebration such as a birthday or an anniversary dinner here. The ride to the restaurant is an entertainment in itself, with illuminatd sculptures from the Grounds for Sculpture along the road. The restaurant is elegant in an old world fantasy atmosphere, with lots of glowing dark wood and candlelight.

• Visited March 2013

Bridgewater, NJ
“Rats Special Occasion Dining after Grounds for Sculpture”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I loved this restaurant. Very fancy and high end French (interesting) menu. My husband and son didn't like it, although they ordered hamburgers (We went for lunch after Grounds for Sculpture). They felt it was too expensive. I thought it was perfect for a special occasion, which in fact was my birthday. Definitely need reservations. I'd love to go back.

• Visited September 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“unique experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Rat's is a unique experience from many aspects. The food is interesting on its changing menu. This is a Steven Starr run restaurant. It was named by owner artist Seward Johnson for his favorite character in 'Wind in the Willows," Raty. There are statues of the charcter in the restaurant and Mr Johnson has a studio in the building. While the food is good, the grounds are fabulous. Multiple works of art abound outside.Visiting during good weather will allow you to enjoy the unique grounds and food.

Bordentown, New Jersey
“Good food, Great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

My partner and I had dinner here last night. Rat's is offering a $39 prix-fixe 3-course menu on Wednesday and Thursday nights in February, so we decided to check it out. The food was good, but not great. But the restaurant is so attractive and comfortable. We were seated at a table in front of the downstairs fireplace. I could have stayed there all night. Our server's name was Bryan and he was great - attentive, but not intrusive, personable, but not too chatty. He provided the best service we'd had in a long time and it was a pleasure. Rat's is, to me, a special occasion kind of place. I look forward to the next special occasion, so we can go there again - hopefully soon.

Trenton, New Jersey
“Cozy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is a hidden treasure , the staff is wonderful. We went there for lunch and had a burger with applewood bacon , My burger was ok however my partner burger was not so good and her bread was stale . Needless to say , they did apoligize and take it off our bill with out a fuss, which was very nice . The onion soup and wild mushroom soup was amazing ,

• Visited February 2013

Been to Rat's? Share your experiences!