“Every thursday or friday we go here as it is family”
Review of DeLorenzo's Pizza

DeLorenzo's Pizza
Ranked #4 of 106 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Having 2 small clam pies each week and a nice bottle of wine make it well worth the tradition. Ambience, friends and great food.

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I didn't find much to like here. After reading numerous reviews & "Best Pizza in NJ" lists featuring this place, we were anxious to try it.

They opened earlier in the summer, and have been packed ever since. We passed by last night, and thanks to the Eagles game being shown on Thursday Night Football, we saw open parking and made a snap decision to take advantage of no lines. There were 2 adults and a 12 year old child in our party.

The menu is small. Pizza. Just pizza. No subs, no sandwiches, no entrees, but did see 6 pre-made Sysco type desserts for $6 each on one of those little plastic signs on the table. Our waiter greeted us and took our drink order. It was filled (& spilled) by another server. Our waiter retuned and we stated we have never been here before, and inquired if the "pizza" offered was regular pizza it the famed Trenton "tomato pie". His reply? "Just like at the old place". After we had just said this was out first time trying Delorenzo's. Okay.

We ordered a small chopped antipasti salad to share while waiting for our pie, also for $6 (choice of 3 salads on the menu, this & a Cesar and a house offered in small & large- which was $10). It was served on a saucer and contained what I can only guess was low quality, chewy mortadella chunks, romaine lettuce, cubed some other cheese (not mozzarella) and a really sharp shaved parmigiana. Oh yeah-a half of a cherry tomato on top. See photo. The dressing was a balsamic drizzle-but all that cheese made it way too salty. Not an olive, pepperoncini, onion, salami-nada. Very disappointing and small. We left half the saucer sized salad uneaten.

Our pie arrived (by yet another server)- and it looked promising. It was not. Our pie was a large half black olive (for the boy) and half eggplant. The regular large pie was priced $15 with an up charge of $1.00 for each large pie topping. There were lots of olives which seemed of good quality. The fried eggplant chunks were about 1/2 inch thick and spongy not crispy. The crust was a great combo of crispy and " toothy", ya know, great mouth feel. But the pie had NO taste. The sauce (minimal) was tasteless, the crust-while texturally awesome, could have benefitted from salt as it too had no taste.

We were never approached for a refill on our $2 soft drinks. The original server did show up while we were finishing our last of the pie to say "sorry" and remove our stacked up forks & dishes & uneaten salad. We were also asked if we wished coffee or dessert which we declined. Our bill was presented for $31. A minor peeve- we were charged $17 for the pizza- two extra dollars for 2 topping though we order 2 half toppings, but was not going to split hairs. All said, $31 for a tasteless pie, uneaten tiny salad and 3 in-refilled sodas ensured we will it be back.

I KNOW we are in the minority, as this place has a cult like followers who followed them from the "city" to the 'burbs, but it just didn't meet our expectations. At ALL. I had high hopes for this experience, but we were left flat & tasteless. Kinda like our pie.

1  Thank SUEZQANGEL
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This past Sunday we went to a movie at AMC24 on Sloan Rd in Hamilton, then we went to DeLorenzo's. I grew up on DeLorenzo's Hamilton Ave tomato pies, with all 3 brothers working as waiters there. I know what makes a great Trenton pie as my cousin owned the Roma Bar throughout my childhood and it is still the gold standard in my memory. Our entire experience at the new DeLorenzo's location was flawless. We got there around 5:30PM, were seated immediately in a booth in the main room, I had an excellent Caesar salad with excellent cheese and dressing, and the pie was magnificent. Everything it ever was in its prime. Obviously they are still using the finest ingredients. The ovens were rockin and the aroma was perfect. The place was crawling with waiters and the service was excellent.
Thank God almighty, they have successfully made the move and the legend lives on.
And they were busy. Every table was full.
I loved the atmosphere, much more to my liking than the one in Robbinsville.
My vote and all this family's thumbs up go to Ricky DeLorenzo's Sloan Ave.
If you haven't been there recently, make the trip and see, smell and taste for yourself.
PS The decaf coffee was delicious. The bill for 3 soft drinks, a large plain pie, a salad, 3 desserts and 2 coffees was about $50 which I thought was quite reasonable.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have eaten at the old location on Hamilton Ave., many times. Parking was always an issue. Here, the restaurant has a nice big parking lot. I think they managed to keep the pizza and atmosphere intact at this new location. I live in IL, which has god awful pizza. No deep dish is not pizza. So, I was thrilled to have pizza, that was real pizza. We had the "works" pizza. It was very tasty. We also had antipasta style salad. I was in heaven! We had very good service, so these other reviewers must have had a bad server. We would definitely come back as this is some of the best pizza anywhere.

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I loved Delo's when they were on Hamilton Ave in Trenton. I grew up eating pies at both Delo's I prefer Hamilton Ave now Sloan Ave.
different address still great tomato pie!
We got there 11:30ish walked in and got seated and by noon there was a wait. So get here early.
Service is a little odd. They have a person for each job ie take ur order, fill ur drink, cut the pizza. So it gets confusing when u need something.