“Great views, great food, great service.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Our stay at Grand Cascades was very enjoyable. The many outdoor pools were a great way to relax and for those of us who don't golf to still enjoy the outdoors. The rooms were some of the nicest I have stayed in and the relaxed atmosphere of the hotel made sitting outside by the bonfire such a great way to spend the evening.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
GCLManager, Marketing Assistant at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2009

Thanks for writing a review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you visit us again!

Grand Cascades Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed September 8, 2009

The Grand Cascades Lodge is beautiful. The place is well decorated and very nice. The rooms are large and gorgeous. The balcony from our room had a great view. This is a great place to get away and relax. I highly recommend the Reflections Spa, I had a great time there and I think the complimentary foot soak with every treatment is a nice touch. There are a lot of cute spots to sit and relax at Grand Cascades such as at Fire and Water Terrace with great fire pits. The Biosphere is cool and seems like a good place to hang if you have kids, I don't so I didn't stay long.

I was disappointed by the staff, I have been to many resorts and usually staff at places on par with Crystal Springs have staff that go out of their way to make sure you are having a good time. I found the staff at Grand Cascades to be below average, they were never rude, just seemed to not pay attention to you unless you ask for something and even then you just get a quick response. Another area for improvement would be availability at restaurants, we did hear staff explain that their restaurants are small and reservations are recommended for dinner, but I think there should be an alternative to that besides the cafe at the pool. Also, the next day we were looking forward to lunch at the Springs Bistro only to find it was not open (at 1 pm) for lunch when it clearly states in the resort guide that it is supposed to be open for lunch. I think with 250 rooms it is unacceptable for a resort to not open one of it's main restaurants. Not to mention this was Labor Day weekend and the place was packed.

From reading other reviews it seems as if they have the same restaurant and staff complaints at Minerals Hotel, although we did not visit there so I cannot comment on that. But the staff at Reflections was great as was my massage. To read more go to www.houseofskip.com

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Just got back from Grand Cascades Lodge in Vernon, NJ. One of the best getaways my husband and I have taken in the last two years. The facilities are well kept and clean and there was something for both of us (I dont play golf). We had a balcony suite that was well furnished and the kitchen was lovely and the bed super comfy. Room service could have been more prompt but the food was good.

We ate at the Crystal Tavern and overall, the food, variety and prices were good. I would have liked to see another full service resturant or this one enlarged. The first night we had pasta dishes which were very good but the service was not impressive and neither was our greeter with her rediculoulsy long hair (thought it was inappropriate for a resturant) -she had the personality of a slug. Our waitress was just ok... seemed distracted and not very attentive. The entertainment left something to be desired.

The pools were amazing, both the biosphere and the infinity pool, and the pool boys were very accomodating with both chairs and towels.

I highly recommend speaking with some of the locals who gave us some great tips for our next visit.

The next night we returned to the Crystal Tavern. This time we had a fantastic waitress named Tara. She recommended the scallops which were amazing, suggested a great new cocktail to try and made us feel well cared for.

I will recommend this place to my friends and will do two things the next time we come up... get a balcony with a fireplace and make sure that we get the same server.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bonusmiles

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel accommodations at Grand Cascades Lodge. We take pride in offering our guests top notch accommodations. We take all feedback, both positive and negative, left by our guests seriously and will address all issues with management. We have passed along your restaurant service suggestions to GM. We are always trying to improve our establishments and service and we appreciate your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Crystal Springs Resort soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2009

Grand Cascades is a beautiful hotel. We selected to stay in a 1 bedroom suite with an outdoor fireplace. Room was quiet, clean and spacious. During out stay we used the Biosphere pool, the golf driving range and the scattered billiard and ping pong tables.
Would stay here again - here are some issues that they need to work on in order for me to give them the full 5 star rating they potentially deserve:
Restaurants: If you've stayed at Mineral's, their sister property, you won't be surprised that the service at the restaurants here are equally slow. Select a suite with a ktichen and cook your own meals. Supermarkets are close by and you'll have a better selection and your kids won't starve waiting on their extremely slow wait staff at Crystal Tavern. L'Atour is fabulous - ate there once - but very expensive.
Pool: The hotel should ban children under the age of 5 from using this pool. It is not a kiddy pool. Go to Minerals if you have young kids. They had to close the pool one of the days we were there because a kid had an "accident (#2)" in the pool and they had to obviously clean it up. Swim Diapers just don't do the right job!
Bellhops - Very nice workers but they only have 2 carts. The concierge was a lovely young woman who helped out due to the lack of bellhops available. She went out of her way, but should not have had to if the hotel was staffed properly.
Golf: If you keep your clubs in your room, it can be quite a challenge to bring them to the courses or driving range. They need to make some carts available (golf carts that is) to enable guests to go from one end of the hotel to the other.
Pro Shop: On the website it says they give you a free bucket of golf balls when you show your room key. Pro Shop was not aware of it, but gave me a free bucket because they were really nice and kept me waiting a minute. No big deal, just an fyi.
Rooms: Full size sleeper is a little small for 2 children. Would be nice if they offered a cot or a queen size sleeper. Had an issue with the smoke detector going off when we cooked. We had to temporarily dismantle it but no one ever came back to fix it. A warning note posted near the oven would be helpful to prevent other guests from having this experience.
Suggestions to hotel: In your gift shop, include a mini mart of staples so that those guests in their rooms can buy milk, salt, pepper, and other items to use in the kitchens.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank fam4ny
GCLManager, Marketing Assistant at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2009

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel accommodations at Grand Cascades Lodge. We take pride in offering our guests top notch accommodations. We take all comments, both positive and negative, left by our guests seriously and will address all issues with management. We are always trying to improve our establishments and service and we appreciate your suggestions. We look forward to welcoming you back to Crystal Springs Resort soon.

Reviewed September 2, 2009

We decided to go away for the weekend without the kids. We could not have been happier with the Grand Cascades Lodge. Living in central Jersey, it was a short ride to this hidden treasure. Everything was just perfect. The rooms were huge and clean, the staff could not be more helpful, there were several resataurants with something for everyone, the grounds were breathtaking, the spa was great, the golf courses were massive and the pools had to be seen to be believed. There is something for everyone. I would recommend the Grand Cascades for couples and families.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SixKidsNJ

Thanks for writing a review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you had a happy and enjoyable stay with us. We hope you visit us again!

Reviewed August 31, 2009

I stayed with my sister at Grand Cascades this past weekend. I live in NYC and hearing that this "amazing" place was only an hour away, I made a reservation. Five store resorts in my opinion are the One and Only in the Maldives, or Francis Ford Coppola's Blancaneaux lodge or Turtle inn, or to bring it back to the states a classic Four Seasons, Ritz, or Mandarin Oriental. Now, I was not naive enough to think that Grand Cascade's was going to be a five star, however, I was expecting luxurious accomadations, gourmet food, and first and foremost, tremendous service. The facilities are that of a high end Marriott, and the service was deplorable. From the moment we walked in the door, no one who worked there really had a clue. I could sit here and write out multiple paragraphs about the ridiculous service that we encountered, but the worst above all is their security issues. Here is an abbreviated version of our story. My sister and I met a gentleman at the pool who we chatted with for a few hours on Saturday night. Our room was located directly to the right of the biosphere pool's exit. Upon leaving we excited with the male and parted ways around 10:30 p.m. Around 4 a.m. in the morning we wake up to someone knocking feverishly on our door. Of course, frightened, neither of us answered. We called the front desk, no one picked up. Ten or so minutes later we receive a call from the front desk with the gentleman we had met earlier in the evening highly intoxicated with a police officer, and because he was so drunk the only thing he was able to remember was our room number from when we all excited the pool together. I went up to the front desk to see what the hell was going on and how it was that someone who was was not a guest of the hotel was able to get through the lobby, down the stairs, and to our room. The response from the overnight worker was that he was the only person on staff at night, and had to step away from the front desk because he was dealing with another guest who was intoxicated. When I spoke to the manager in the morning, her response to me about letting strangers wander through the property is that "they are not allowed to interrogate every person that walks through their doors." First of all, there wasn't even anyone at the front desk to stop the guys from walking in, second, it's a private property, which gives you the right to interrogate anyone for any reason. Thirdly, if you do not have a security system in place, at the very least after hours use a card fob system, so that there is some measure of security for your guests. I was just appalled by the lack of concern for security in this day and age. It's clear to me, that while they have built themselves a nice outdoor facility, they did not spend enough money on hiring and training. Any of the folks I met this weekend that worked at Grande Cascade would last a shift at places that I call luxury resorts. And shame on them for not taking hotel security and guest security seriously.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank tleecouch
GCLManager, Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2009

Dear tlecouch,

We are advertised as a 4-star resort and do not list ourselves as 5-star on our website or advertisements. We pride ourselves on the top notch amenities we are able to offer our guests such as 7 golf courses, 2 spas, and a 70,000+ bottle wine cellar.

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We take our guests security very seriously and always have multiple staff members working 24 hours a day to ensure this. Unfortunately in the case you mentioned above the breach in security was not due to lack of security by the hotel as the guest in question was escorted in by the town police department and the front desk staff was prompted by the officers to contact the room number supplied by the guest to have the registered guests confirm that they know him and to accept responsibility for this guest.

This situation was outside of our control as it was between the police department, the inebriated guest and the guest from the room that accepted responsibility for him. We are sorry once again for this experience and as always we encourage our guests to be extremely careful regarding allowing anyone to know their personal information such as which room they are staying in or allowing a guest they do not know to enter their room.

We are very sorry that this unfortunate incident hurt your experience at the Resort and we hope to be able to invite you back again to truly experience Grand Cascades Lodge.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

The rooms were beautiful. We had a great time cooking dinner using the gourmet kitchen. I got a wonderful massage at Reflections Spa and relaxed at the pools. The accommodations are incredible. All in all, my stay at Grand Cascades was exactly what I needed. I left feeling refreshed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank sngosh

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are thrilled to be able to provide you with the relaxing weekend you were looking for. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and hope you come again.

Grand Cascades Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamburg
16 mi away
#1 of 6 in Milford
Minerals Hotel
Minerals Hotel
#1 of 2 in Vernon

Been to Grand Cascades Lodge? Share your experiences!