“Great place to go to relax and de-stress”

Grand Cascades Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamburg
Washington, DC
“Great place to go to relax and de-stress”
Reviewed August 27, 2009

The rooms were beautiful. We had a great time cooking dinner using the gourmet kitchen. I got a wonderful massage at Reflections Spa and relaxed at the pools. The accommodations are incredible. All in all, my stay at Grand Cascades was exactly what I needed. I left feeling refreshed.

1 Thank sngosh
GCLManager, Marketing Assistant at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this review, October 12, 2009
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are thrilled to be able to provide you with the relaxing weekend you were looking for. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and hope you come again.

Grand Cascades Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
gabiburr
Reviewed August 26, 2009

From the moment you walked in, you felt like you had traveled far to be in this luxurious getaway. there is something for everyone. I came here with friends but would come back with my husband and daughter.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Thanks for writing a review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you visit us again!

new york
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I have to say that after reading all the other reviews I felt like I landed on another planet during my stay at Grand Cascades Lodge. It is an absolutely beautiful resort, with great accommodations. Honestly there were a few things I would tweak - but with just a little more staff training - it will be perfect.
For example: When you pull up to the front door the bellman asks if you are checking in. If it is yes, he tells you to pull up to a spot and go on in to register - he will happily take your bags, and they do valet for free -- so all of that should be seamless, and its not. A SMALL FIX.
The hotel is new and the staff if new as a result. Everyone was happy and eager even if they didnt know the answer to the question. The only real restaurant is the Crystal Tavern (The Bistro comes together at night by forming tables together in the lobby) which has a beautiful bar - but not that many tables so really DO MAKE A RESERVATION. The service was great and the prices were low. We didnt go to Latour which some of the other reviewers complained about because I looked at the menu online and decided that wasnt the kind of meal we wanted to have. Its really hard to be surprised if you do a little research beforehand.
We had a beautiful room and we had no problems getting chairs at any of the pools. There was a wait for towels a time or two - but it was minutes.
Michelle who drives the van between the two resorts is great, friendly and really helpful. I would say the service and food at Kites restaurant was great -- but there is a different vibe there.
Reflections Spa was AMAZING - they have a foot soak room the likes of which I have never seen.
We would all go back - and in fact would like to go back soon. I travel a lot. I never EVER write hotel reviews - honestly I feel its just a vehicle for complaining - but I had to write after I experienced a really great time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
GCLManager, Public Relations Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel accommodations at Grand Cascades Lodge. We take pride in offering our guests top notch accommodations. We take all feedback, both positive and negative, left by our guests seriously and will address all issues with management. We have passed along your valet suggestions to GM. We are always trying to improve our establishments and service and we appreciate your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Crystal Springs Resort soon.

Grand Cascades Lodge
New Jersey
Reviewed August 22, 2009

I'm actually writing this during a few free minutes on the second night of our three-night stay and there are many things I like about our one bedroom suite with balcony and two fireplaces. However, bad management practices and flimsy if not cagey hotel rhetoric can help ruin even the nicest of stays. Let me give you an example. Our suite has a very nice Jacuzzi-type tub (even if it's only really big enough for one) plus shower. However, last night when I first used the tub the water at its hottest was only luke warm. And my wife had a similar experience with the shower. When I called the front desk around 9 PM to complain the hotel rep sounded like he'd never heard of such a problem, and listened politely, then told me he'd have to get in touch with someone in that department and asked me to hold on. When he came back on line, he explained what he said he'd been told (which wasn't much) and continued to sound concerned we were having such a problem and said he'd not only have someone check the boilers but would get additional information for me and promised to call me back as soon as possible. Well, perhaps not surprisingly, we never heard from him again. So this morning I went to the front desk and complained about the lukewarm water in the tub and shower (while we've had no such trouble getting hot water from the bathroom sink). And almost before I could finish the front desk clerk curtly replied they purposely keep the tub and shower water from getting too hot so children can't get scalded. And that was apparently that as far as he was concerned. End of discussion. So I didn't even think it worthwhile trying to tell him the water was nowhere even close to being scalding as it was barely even warm since he sounded like he'd heard it all before and wasn't really interested. But did I believe his reply? To my mind, it seemed as plausible as the clerk's handling of my query last night seemed reliable. So what's really going on here? And how many other such "quirks" will we find during our stay? We haven't yet used many of the resort's amenities (our agenda has kept us otherwise occupied) so I'm not sure what other similar disappointments we'll face before our extended anniversary weekend ends. I hate it, though, when they seem to think you're so stupid you'll just accept whatever flimsy answer they offer. Or do they really just not care?!?

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FellowTraveler64
new jersey
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My husband and I just came back from 2 nights at the Grand Cascades Lodge. As soon as we arrivied there was a big group of people at the front desk trying to check out. They were all upset about having extra room charges and complaining about this and that. My husband and I figured they were just those kinds of hard to please people. We knew our experience would be different since we're easy to please. Well, we were wrong!
The resort is gorgeous and I wanted to love it. We even talked about buying a timeshare there but after the first day we realized that would never happen. The service was horrible.

When we arrived, our room wasn't ready.which was no big deal. We asked the front desk to please call our cell phone when the room was ready and we went to explore the resort. Two hours and no phone call later, we stopped at the front desk to check on our room which was in fact ready. I'm glad we didn't wait for the phone call! The next morning my husband took our car to go play golf and I headed down to the spa for a massage. However, when I got there, they didn't have an appointment for me. I was apparently booked at the other spa at Minerals resort. Since I'm easy going, this didn't bother me at all. I'm not sure how the mix up came about but a spa's a spa in my mind. I asked them how I'd get to Minerals and they said(with an attitude) "Don't you have a car?" I explained that my husband had it so they called to find out if the shuttle could come and get me but of course it couldn't get to me in time for my appoinment. Finally, after a few minutes one of the spa ladies offered to drive me. It was a little weird but I realize she didn't have to do this so I did appreciate it. She told me when I was ready to come back, I should tell the front desk and they would call the shuttle for me. So I had my massage which was great and I got dressed and went to the front desk and asked the man to call the shuttle for me. This is when he told me the shuttle comes every hour on the hour. Not one person before this ever mentioned that to me. If I had known the shuttle came on the hour, I would have stayed at the spa in my comfy robe reading magazines. But at this point, I had checked out of the spa and was dressed so I sat on a bench by the parking lot for 45 minutes! What a way to spend a chunk of my day!!!

Other than the spa incident, there were little things that I found annoying. It was near impossible to get a chair at the pool. You'd think being a luxury resort they'd have someone to get chairs for you. The college kids who worked there seemed completely uninterested in any customer service. The resort has potential to be amazing. If only they made their patrons feel like they really matter. There were people complaining the whole time we were there so I know it's not just us. This was a very expensive weekend and I hate that I left there feeling disappointed. I wanted us to love it and possibly buy a timeshare and go back regularly but it's just run so poorly. I did tell the people at the front desk about my experience but quite frankly, I don't think they really cared. What a shame!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lmnap
New York, NY
Reviewed August 16, 2009

This was our 2nd visit to Grand Cascades. We love it. We live in Manhattan so being able to escape to a serene, picturesque, relaxing place under an hour and a half from the city is the best. Today, unfortunately we witnessed a really ridiculous situation at the pool. This woman (who I will call the lounge chair police) gathered about 15 chairs under one of only 3-4 umbrellas and occupied each one with a TOWEL. My husband accidentally moved one of her chairs while taking off his shoes and she freaked out saying NOT TO MOVE HER CHAIRS. There were no people on any of the chairs. She was sitting there with one other woman. Whatever, we figured she was a mental case. Then we watched a young mother with her month old child looking for some shade. The woman asked if she could place her lounge chair under a foot of the shade and again the lounge chair cop got crazy and threatened not to move her chairs. It got nasty and she then insulted the woman for bringing her child out in the sun. Really classy. She also kept saying how they are "members" of the club. Whatever. We are paying to be there (not to mention it's not cheap) so don't throw out the member crap. She was so ridiculous she ruined the day for most of the people around us. She gives the 'members' a bad name....and makes paying customers think twice on going back since she will always be there...guarding her pool property and chairs. Her skin was leather and her hair fake platinum so you'd think she would want to stay out of the sun, but then again it makes sense that she looks like that...she belongs on a low class cruise ship. Disappointing incident that ruined our pool time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yankeespice424
GCLManager, Public Relations Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this review, August 24, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We take all of our reviews very seriously.

We are very disappointed by the experience you had at the pool and have passed along all comments to the proper members of upper management. We would like to thank you again for visiting Grand Cascades Lodge and taking the time to write a review. We hope you will stay with us again.

West Hempstead, NY
Reviewed August 13, 2009

If only the service and management could match the beauty and the ambiance of this place.

Upon arrival to the resort I was blow away. The amenities and the decor was beautiful. I immediately called my husband and told him that we would definitely coming back. That thought was quickly erased.

My party and I check in to the hotel and our rooms were not ready so the front desk held our luggage while we went to the spa. No Problem!

The problem was when we came back from the spa and the hotel told us we have to pay for the 3 rooms and all of our spa services prior to checking in. This was a disaster. We spent 2 hours trying to help them figure out which services should be with which room. This continued into the next day.

The restaurant! Another disaster. We sat with empty glasses for 45 minutes (no exaggeration). They brought our main dish before even clearing away the appetizer dishes. When we asked them to clear them, they said yes but did nothing. They then brought our dessert with no utensils. At the end of the dinner the table looked like a war zone.

The stress of dealing with the bill and the horrible service at the restaurant was enough to make up my mind that I WILL NOT BE GOING BACK TO THIS RESORT.

What a waste of a beautiful space!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gab329
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamburg
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek
Minerals Hotel
Minerals Hotel
#1 of 2 in Vernon
Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary

Been to Grand Cascades Lodge? Share your experiences!