“Spa and Latour restaurant staff great; hotel staff lazy”

Grand Cascades Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Unfortunately, most of these reviews are accurate: the space is fantastic, the scenery lovely, the spa pricey but decadant and the high-end restaurant staff professional ... but the hotel seemed staffed by cliched young people too busy to be bothered to work. Most of the problems, at a less expensive hotel, wouldn't even have qualified as problems; charging the price they are though, honestly, I would expect better. The worst example: housekeeping didn't empty the master bath garbage! Ugh! The heating was complicated, but even that I could excuse as my own technological ineptitude, but not emptying the bathroom garbage and, seemingly, not mopping the floor ... that's inexcusable in a place that purports to be high-end. We had a good weekend because we went as friends -- and the 2BR suite was ideal for a girls' getaway -- but unfortunately the hotel staff ... well ... they didn't wow us. The spa staff I think much higher of. The spa staff and the pool setup are, in fact, the only reasons I would consider recommending the hotel to anyone else.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
GCLManager, Management at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We take all of our reviews very seriously.

We truly appreciate your decision to stay with us. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your spa treatment, time at the pools, and our restaurants.

Your comments have been addressed with management. we would like to thank you again for visiting Grand Cascades Lodge and taking the time to write a review. We hope you will stay with us again. Please feel free to contact us at any point if you would like to discuss further - info@crystalgolfresort.com.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,859)

Reviewed February 27, 2009

Upon arrival, my wife and I were told our dinner reservations were set for the Bistro. We HAD booked the Tavern. The reservations were changed but they made it seem like they were doing us a favor. We had lunch in the tavern which was OK burgers although we overheard the people at the next table say it was the first time they had EVER complained about a meal. I think the husband ordered something veggie. WE went to the boisphere which was very nice but could not get a seat although the place did not seem very crowded. The biosphere should be twice the size for how big the complex is.Dinner with the wine tastings was decent but at about $300 for it ,I thought it was overpriced.The lobster tail that came with our filet mignon was about three ounces and that was split between my wife and I. I got four bites out of it . Service was only adequate. They forgot to bring our dessert wine. We were never even offered coffee. The tip/service charge was included ,and although I consider myself a decent tipper when service is outstanding, I probably would not have left the $50 I was billed. So much for the good part. We went to bed and needed a little heat so we turned on the HVAC. The heater was a little loud and cycled on and off every 30 seconds it seemed. Although the room was nice, it did not have a chair which I could have used to put my socks on in the morning. The hot water was not hot enough. After getting to bed late, we were awakend by the fire/smoke alarm in our room. After jumping up and throwing on some clothes, I went to the hallway and found no one. Then I smelled the smoke. Someone in the next room was cooking bacon and it set off the alarm in our adjacent room. Although I usually like waking up to the smell of bacon, I was ready to strangle someone at this point. NO ONE came to our room to find out why this fire alarm went off. I wonder what would have happened if a real fire broke out. We were going to stay for the sunday brunch, but immediately decided to leave.At $600 for 0ne night and dinner for two, I thought it was overpriced

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
GCLManager, Management Representative at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2009

Thank you for posting a review about your stay at Grand Cascades Lodge. We take all comments both good and bad very seriously and are very disappointed to hear about your experience. We are constantly striving to improve the service at our 5 resort properties and we thank you for posting a review that will help us to improve our facilities in the future. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. President’s week is the busiest week of the year and we do our best to ensure guest satisfaction. All of your comments have already been forwarded onto upper management and are being addressed to ensure that these issues do not occur again. Please contact us at your convenience at info@crystalgolfresort.com if you would like to discuss this further with our Management Team.

Reviewed February 23, 2009

My wife and I booked a Spa and Stay package for Feb 15 - 16. We arrived at the Lodge to find a lobby crowded with people attempting to check-out. After ~20 mins and having received our spa vouchers, we were off to enjoy the afternoon at Elements Spa (down the road at the sister hotel - Minerals Resort).

After a relaxing afternoon, we arrived back at the Lodge to find the lobby still crowed with people, this time attempting to check-in. It turns out that ~ 75% of the people (including me) were told their rooms were not ready. This was 4PM (check-in time) and we were told it would be ~1 hr until the rooms would be ready. Normally not a big deal, however, we had dinner reservations at 6PM and both my wife and I needed to shower, etc.

After ~1 hr (now 5:15), we were told that it would be an ADDITIONAL 1 to 1 - 1/2 hours before our room was ready. Fortunately we were able to use the locker rooms at the hotel spa (Reflections) to get ready for dinner after the spa manager heard about our dinner reservations at 6PM. (By the way, the front desk kept telling us to use the pool locker rooms to get showered and ready for dinner. If you ever check them out when the pool is packed to capacity, you'll understand why it was poor judgement to even recommend this.)

Finally, we made it to dinner at Restaurant Latour in the hotel. This was probably one of the best (if not the best meals / dining experiences we've ever had). Food and staff are exceptional. If you get a chance after dinner, ask for a tour of the VERY impressive wine cellar.

Back to the front desk (now 8:30) to finally get our room. Did I fail to mention that they told me they would call my cell when the room was ready?..which they never did.

After finally arriving to our room, we both agreed that the room was very impressive. Roomy, nice bathroom, comfortable bed, gas fireplace, beautiful kitchenette. It was very comfortable and quite a relief after our disappointing check-in experience.

Overall we loved the room, spa and Restaurant Latour, however, if we ever return it will be during the week or on an off-weekend. Clearly the hotel staff cannot handle turning around rooms when fully booked.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

We truly appreciate your patience during our busiest day of the year. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your spa treatment at Elements Spa, dinner at Restaurant Latour and our room accomodations.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you again for visiting Grand Cascades Lodge and taking the time to write a review. We hope you will stay with us again and try out Reflections Spa. Please feel free to contact us at any point if you would like to discuss further - info@crystalgolfresort.com.

Reviewed February 23, 2009

I have been going to this spa for 15 years, lately they started selling some rooms as co-ops. Since this happened the service for the guests has gone down the tubes it was as the guests were second class citizens. This used to be a great place to get away its to bad they killed it.

Reviewed February 22, 2009

This place is unbelievable!!!......We took the kids for Presidents weekend after recommendations from a few friends! The staff is so attentive....They were very busy but continued to strive to satisfy us! Very good food at the Tavern and the Bistro restaurants..... Extremely professional staff and management. We felt like we were DINING IN THE CITY!!!! The pool was amazing and we took the kids skiing very nearby. There is plenty to do and we enjoyed every minute of it. We were completely satisfied with our trip and cannot wait to go back. We are planning to return for Easter Break!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2009

I booked a weekend stay at the Grand Cascades Lodge at a weekend where I had a large group outing at the Wild Turkey Golf course. The lodge had stunning views of the NJ skylands and the kids had a blast with the "biosphere pool". The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. There was great choice of restaurants at the complex from family style to formal dining. This is a great location for family reunions to group events. I have organized golf outings here for the last 4 years through their Golf Sales Director and would definitely recommend a golf and stay package.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2009

There are so many things to love about Grand Cascades..our fabulous 2 bedroom suite was beautiful and offered many additional touches. We loved warming by the gas fireplace in the living room, the convenient in-room washer/dryer (note: no sample laundry detergent is supplied), the heated tile floors in the bathrooms, the fabulous temper-pedic beds, the great master bath with a jacuzzi tub, the convenient underground parking, the nice pool/hot tub/sauna area, the large slide into the pool and the convenience to Mountain Creek for skiing/snowboarding.
However, as great as all that was we were a little disapointed that the wine tour did not include a sample of the wine and that everyone found the shower water to be luke warm. This was very disappointing after a day at Mountain Creek. We all resorted to taking baths to get warm. I assume the jacuzzi tub had its own heater because that water was MUCH warmer. While this was enjoyable it was time consuming filling the tub each time. There were two machines in the exercise room out of order and the pool/spa is beautiful but not large. I would think on a busy day it could get very crowded fast. The pool/hot tub/sauna closed at 7pm on Fri and 8pm on Sat. This was really disappointing because after a day at Mountain Creek and a quick dinner we felt rushed to use the facilities and would of liked to utilize them after 8pm!! We felt that was very early for a weekend!
I have been to Elements Spa and enjoyed it..Reflections looks beautiful and should be opening soon..they did say that prices will be higher than Elements but i look foward to trying Reflections.
Overall I am a very picky traveler who likes nice accommodations and these were very nice. If you are looking for a great spa weekend away this is it,but i do not think the high $500 a night price was worth it. If the hotel offers specials and discounted rates in the future we would consider going again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamburg
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek
#1 of 1 in Pompton Plains
Scottish Inns Milford
Scottish Inns Milford
#3 of 6 in Milford

Been to Grand Cascades Lodge? Share your experiences!