“Excellent Family Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamburg
New York City, New York
“Excellent Family Hotel”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

The only negative was our room. We got the last one available on Labor Day weekend. It was a standard room with a the tiniest of bathrooms. Make sure you don't go with the standard rooms as the other rooms are MUCH nicer and larger. The hotel could use updating and it is a little too dark inside, but the grounds are beautiful.

Now for the positives: great food, excellent pools and facilities for kids.

We went to the Water Park nearby, which was nothing special...I wouldn't recommend it. Your best bet is to stay at the hotel, as there is not much going on in the area. It is a great place to spend a few days with the family as there is lots to do and a friendly staff.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't go with the standard rooms as the other rooms are MUCH nicer and larger.
1 Thank kenny a
Vincent S, Front Office Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
Dear Kenny A,

Thank you for visiting and for writing your review; I greatly appreciate it. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed the many on-site amenities we offer at Grand Cascades Lodge. Sorry that Action Park was not the right fit for you, but when you visit again, if you are looking for some local attractions, please visit our concierge for assistance. For Fall, in particular, apple and pumpkin picking at the local orchards and farms and hiking the Appalachian Trail are very popular, as is Autumn Ziplining. Our annual Oktoberfest and Mountain Rodeo are also coming up soon. They provide a great balance to our indoor pool complex. Then again, it's tough to leave the Biosphere once you are there and relaxed.

Whatever shape it takes, our staff looks forward to your return stay. Until then safe travels,

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
NYC
Reviewed August 31, 2014

A three-day vacation with family - the room (1 Bedroom suite) was very spacious. Kids on pull-out couch in living room - everyday they came with turn-down service which was convenient. Started out in the Biosphere pool but then found the Infiniti pool which we preferred - the kids loved the Vortex! Beautiful property, I kept saying to my husband, "I can't believe we're in NJ!" Definitely felt like a real get-away. The Sunset Golf Cart tour was a highlight for my kids. The Mountain Top Adventure also fun - but don't expect to spend the whole day there - probably 3-4 hours is enough.

Next time we'll bring food and use the very nice kitchen setup. The restaurants were nice enough but extremely expensive. I'm accustomed to hotel prices, but these seemed a bit over the top.

At any rate, very nice staff, beautiful property, lots to do with the kids - looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor - beautiful views of the mountain.
Dear Ellen V.,

We look forward to you coming back as well! Thank you for posting and glad that you and your family enjoyed a summer vacation here at Grand Cascades Lodge. I'm also glad that you had a chance to "adventure" on our mountaintop, which, as a frequent hiker to that location, is quite lovely. If I did not live in this area, I would also find myself saying, "Is this really NJ?" Yes, it is!

I appreciate your post and hope to see you again soon. Until then, safe travels,

Woodmere, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

My wife, our 2 boys (15 & 11) and another family went to GCL for a weekend getaway before the kids started school. We figured it would be a nice way for everyone to unwind after all the kids came back from camp.

We booked about a month in advance and reserved (2) king 1-bedroom suites with a nice size kitchen, balcony, pull-out sofa, fireplace, jacuzzi tub and full bathroom with heated radiant flooring for $390/night each. I find this priced below what you'd typically pay for similar accommodations. The wifi was not accessible in our room (354) except by the kitchen area which was very weak. In the living room, bathroom, master bedroom and balcony wifi was not accessible. On the first night, around 2am I noticed the room ac unit in the wall was not working properly. Thermostat was set for 60 but read 72. The next day I had to call several times for the issue to be repaired. The ac issue was resolved around 5pm the following day.

It took about 2 hours to drive 60 miles from Western Nassau County (Long Island) leaving around noon on Friday. Once we arrived, we were greeted by a welcoming valet attendant (Jon) who took all our bags and once we quickly checked-in, escorted us to our room on the 3rd floor. Technically, the 3rd floor is the 2nd, as the lobby is on the 2nd floor, Lobby Level. Our room was quite a ways from the elevator bank (only 2 cars) and walking to breakfast at the Tavern, is a very far walk. Elevators at times are slow and your better off just taking the stairs (which are all very clean and seem to be the #1 choice instead of elevators).

The grounds, rooms and amenities are all very nice, clean and, overall, in good condition. The biosphere (indoor/outdoor pool area) has amble seating, but if you come after lunch seating will be limited on overcast days. The biosphere is 2 levels down from the lobby, 1 flight involves stairs. Why they designed it this way is beyond me, but, there is a handicap elevator if your unable to walk the flight of stairs to the pool deck.

My only and biggest disappointment with this property involves the staff and the general operation of the Tavern. If it occurred once, I guess that's just the way they handle the food and beverage department here, but since I was disgusted and mortified twice, it's safe to assume they are lacking in customer service which corresponds to other travelers reviews here.

On our first afternoon here, after driving a couple hours, both families were hungry and the front desk clerk advised we go to the Tavern for lunch. After walking for almost 1/4 mile down an endless hallway, we were told that they don't serve lunch from 3-5pm to prepare for dinner, however we were welcome to order from the bar and "take-out". Finding this unacceptable, I asked for a manager after I quickly walked inside and saw several tables occupied with guests having meals. A manager came and explained that they needed to prepare for dinner but would be more than happy to accommodate our group of 8 at a table. While waiting outside I saw another man, who appeared to be some kind of manager, quickly walking in and cursing under his breath about "who this group of 8 people were....". Being curious, I followed him in as he walked over to the table that was being prepared for us. He started to curse the other manager and stormed away when she told him we were sitting here anyway. I was beyond appalled and in disbelief that someone in the hospitality business, especially food and beverage in a hotel/resort setting would act this way in front of your paying guests and disrespect a fellow co-worker. I'm sorry, that is unacceptable, unprofessional and disgusting. On an up note, Crystal, our waitress, was very friendly and promptly took our orders. In a way, she defused the tense situation we just went through. A++

The second occurrence happened the next morning for breakfast. Same location. Again, after walking almost 1/2 mile from our room down endless hallways, my son and I were told there would be a 15 minute wait for the buffet. I asked if we can sit at the bar and was told, "sure, as long as there is room". Walking toward the bar, we noticed a small table partially set-up and asked if we could sit there instead. "sure, it's all yours" we were told by the same hostess who allowed by 11 year old to sit with me at the bar for breakfast. I also want to mention that I noticed about a half a dozen tables empty with about a dozen or so tables empty "outside" where the buffet food was available.

Anyway, while I was loading up my plate, my son sat at the table and was being interrogated by numerous wait staff inquiring if we were doing the buffet or a-la carte. I returned and no less than 3 minutes later a waitress came up to our table and asked where did I get my food from. I was told that the buffet people are not allowed to eat where I was siting and that I could only eat the buffet food outside. Well, I wasn't having any of that and continued to eat while refusing to be segregated from the a-la carte guests. Several minutes later a waiter came up and handed me a bill. Intrigued, I asked what the bill for for since I didn't receive any service. We didn't get glasses of water on the table, salt and pepper was missing. The only cutlery was a fork accompanied with a napkin and a place setting. Didn't get offered coffee or even asked by any wait staff if everything was ok. Since we didn't receive any service I refused his bill and told him to come back with a manager.

Sparing details, a manager arrived shortly thereafter and explained that the buffet is a separate restaurant. The buffet is ran by the banquet department. She explained that she was disappointed we were not happy not treated with respect not like paying guests. In any case, she went on and on about the logistics of the two "restaurants", all while my breakfast was getting cold. I ended up the conversation saying, "please, as a paying guest, I don't need to know this and your staff needs a refresher course in hospitality and customer service. They are clearly lacking in that department."

Breakfast for an adult and 11 year old was $38 with tax. No gratuity.

My group of two families spent the remainder of the day at the biosphere. The amenities are very good. Sauna and steam room - right off the hot tub below the water slide - is all built into the outdoor theme. Wait service is limited, but at the entrance there is a bar and snack station.

On Saturday evening we ate at Bistro. It's their Italian restaurant directly between the hotel lobby and the rear exit to the patios. Guests frequently cut thru to get outside. In my opinion, poor location placement. Food was very good and priced right. The tuna was average. On the kids menu, pizza, grilled cheese and other kids favorites are available and priced right.

The patio area contains several lounge areas with gas fireplaces and fire pits. Ping pong, pool and other games are available.

Overall, the property is on a beautiful setting with very good amenities however we wouldn't return in the future. Management and lower level staff need customer service training to correct serious deficiencies.

Stayed August 2014
6 Thank PipeDoctor
Dear Pipe Doctor,

Thank you for visiting Grand Cascades Lodge, and for taking the time to post about your stay. First and foremost, I am very glad that, your restaurant experiences aside, I believe I'm not wrong in saying that you enjoyed our resort, the rooms, the amenities, and I hope you found the majority of your experience to be fun and relaxing. That is our goald and that is what our resort is about. And, I do hope you will return!

I am thankful that you provided such a detailed review of your stay, which adds fairness and credibility to your post, and for us, allows us really to dial in on specific issues that affect our guests, and, ultimately to resolve them. Thank you! I know that our Food & Beverage Team will look closely at these situations and make changes based on them.

If you would like to discuss any of the details of your stay further, I would be happy to be the point of contact for you, and, even if you don't dine at the resort again, I hope that you consider visiting again.

Thanks again for your time, and hope you had a great holiday,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in August 2014 with my two children. We stayed in a 2 queen room that was clean and classically decorated with a pretty view. The grounds on the property were beautiful. The kids had fun roasting marshmallows, playing night miniature golf, playing ping pong at the outdoor recreation deck. The outdoor pools were lovely --infinity pool , whirlpool pool. The only minor negative was the indoor pool was cold. I was told that it was 86 degrees but it felt more like 65. Not enjoyable for us "older" people. I would like indoor pool to be like bath water! The food was good ,breakfast buffet better than dinner which was expensive and not kid friendly. Overall great time .

Dear GingerRita,

Thanks for choosing Grand Cascades Lodge for your Summer retreat with your kids, and I am so happy that you and they enjoyed your stay and all the great kid-friendly activities and amenities that our resort has to offer, especially during break when children are off from school. I appreciate you taking the time to post your review, and truly look forward to your return visit to our property. Please contact our concierge or front desk if you need any assistance, most especially with dining--we are here to help! Thank you again, and hope you had a great holiday!

BURLINGTON
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Stayed recently for two nights at the Crystal Springs Golf Resort, at the Grand Cascades Lodge. This is a beautiful rustic, yet modern hotel complex adjacent several nice golf courses, nestled nicely in the Appalachian Mountains.
We had a gorgeous one bedroom suite, very well appointed and decorated, with a patio overlooking the golf courses, and the resort was very friendly.
Played golf at Wild Turkey and Ballowen Golf Courses, both awesome courses, need carts for sure, long spaces between holes
Restaurant at Golf Shop very nice, but a bit on the high side, Kobe Hamburger was $ 25, thought it was priced a bit high.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Golf Courses
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rosscup
Dear Rosscup,

Thank you for visiting Grand Cascades Lodge, and we appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with other travelers. I was happy to read that your suite provided all the comfort you needed and that you had an opportunity to play on some of our great golf courses (Yes, I would not recommend trying to walk the expansive track unless maybe we build a boutique hotel at the turn :) ). On behalf of our staff, we appreciate your kind words, and most definitely look forward to your return. Hope you had a great holiday.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

There are no words to describe our experience at the Grand Cascade Lodge. The scenery all around the hotel is magnificent and the attractions are fun and perfect for those who love outdoor sports. My husband and I came for our 10 yr anniversary. We couldn't have chosen a better place. I have never encountered such courteous staff anywhere (thank you Tom S. ); they r extremely accomodating and helpful. Our room was gorgeous, comfortable, and cozy. Gosh, those mattresses! The spa is so relaxing and a must see.The ambiance creates a very relaxing atmosphere. This place is definitely worth every penny and I would come back here in heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Mark Levin,

My humble thanks for your review of Grand Cascades Lodge, and I will certainly share your comments with our staff, most especially our Front Desk Clerk, Tom. Simply put, it was our goal and great pleasure to create a memorable and special anniversary weekend for you, and I am so glad that we succeeded. Very much looking forward to your return, and until then, safe travels.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Stayed here two nights for a wedding. It was the picture perfect setting and the staff is extremely helpful all throughout. They have two awesome pools. top class golf and fantastic restaurant & bar. the room we stayed in was a studio apartment setting which felt more like a one bedroom with a full kitchen etc with small outdoor space..

Room Tip: try to ask for a room with the mountain view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nycnls
Dear Nyclns,

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Cascades Lodge and hope that the wedding exceeded all guests' expectations. Thank you for your posting, and we look forward to having you visit again for leisure. Until then, safe travels,

Rooms Division Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamburg
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek
Minerals Hotel
#1 of 2 in Vernon
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,363 reviews
Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary

Been to Grand Cascades Lodge? Share your experiences!