“Beautiful Lodge” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamburg
Highland Park, New Jersey
“Beautiful Lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Cascade Lodge for the weekend of our first wedding anniversary, The lodge is lovely and the staff is friendly and helpful. Our room was beautiful however in was on the far side of the hotel and had to walk an insane distance to get to any of the facilities, our room was probably a quarter of a mile from the pool which was fine just don't forget anything in your room if you stay on that side.
Our anniversary was on a sunday and I was really looking forward to eating at the garden cafe, an outdoor restaurant in the middle of the grounds where they grow all their own vegetables in an adjoining garden and cook the food in an outdoor kitchen, unfortunately it was closed so we ate at the Crystal Tavern. The food was lovely and the staff was great.
Both the indoor and outdoor pools are stunning was had a great time swimming and relaxing and can't wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Vincent S, Front Office Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Mississippidrea,

We can't wait for you to come back! Thank you for visiting and for posting, and most of all for choosing our lodge for your one year wedding anniversary; that's a special occasion of which we are proud to have been a part. I am glad that you enjoyed the pools, the Crystal Tavern, and hopefully some of the other amenities of the hotel, and I am excited for you to experience Chef's Garden next time you stay. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and look forward to your return. Until then, safe travels,

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Pawcatuck, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Let me start by saying that the property truly is beautiful and they really have done a marvelous job with landscaping and venues. The outdoor infinity pool really is beautiful, especially looking out toward the hills. And, the outdoor cooking area really is outstanding. . . .and they grow a lot of herbs and vegetables right there.

BUT. . . . .they need to step up several notches in customer service. You just don't get the feeling that they truly value you being there. And, they don't seem to understand customers needs. For instance, good luck finding cold bottled water. it is only available in vending machines on the 3rd and 4th floors. So, if you are staying on the 1st floor, it's a hike. Also, the staff seem to never know when areas open or close, or if there is a hot tub outside. Really? Why have staff that don't know simple things like that? Or why not train them? Also, good luck finding coffee anywhere till after 8. Oh, and the hot tub inside was not working. Can't have a higher end resort with key amenities broken down for one day, much less two or more.

To be fair, my rating would go up substantially if they improved their customer service and attention to the small things. It truly is a lovely place and could easily be a go to resort.

Room Tip: Rooms are very nice, but they can be on the small side. Do yourself a favor and get one with a balc...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank KowboyKen
Dear KowboyKen,

Thank you for visiting Grand Cascades Lodge, and I thank you for posting feedback about your trip; it is both appreciated and helpful. I am very glad that you enjoyed the beauty of the property and the outstanding amenities that we offer, but I was sorry to read that there were definitely several members of our staff who did not go above and beyond to make your stay positively memorable. Likewise, I see that there are some areas where we can make changes to make our guests even more comfortable, so thank you for offering suggestions. We do offer complimentary bottled water at the front desk and are happy to deliver to our guest rooms and suites upon request. We offer coffee at the Crystal Tavern at 7am and in the Biosphere Café at 8am (in addition to in-room or by room service) and on weekends, complimentary coffee is provided in the lobby from 6am to 8am. However, we are a very large property as many other travelers have noted and even with these options, you may have to do a bit of walking to get what you are looking for, depending on timing.

Overall, I hope I am not wrong in saying that you enjoyed your time spent here, and we do hope to be your go-to spot. If you ever need assistance in making reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me or our front desk team.

Thanks for posting and hope you had a great weekend,

Millstone, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

The resort was very accommodating to our group of 45 people. We all had 1 bedroom suites. Very, very nice. The view from the balcony is spectacular. Our room overlooked the patio and biosphere pool area. Everything was always clean and comfortable. The full kitchen is an added plus but our group didn't need this. The bed was a tempurpedic mattress. it was like sleeping in a cloud. The pillows were also very nice and plentiful. If you so choose, there is a Jacuzzi tub. Or you can just take a nice shower separate from the bath. The staff were all very friendly. Always smiling, always saying hello. There was an issue with us having the wrong room when we checked in. It was corrected right away without any problem. They have delicious complimentary lemonade at the desk and coffee in the morning. A free USA today, which is nice. Read while you relax. The only downside of this place is if you don't want to walk much or take stairs, this may be a minus for you. I don't know if there is an elevator to go to the pool area, but I never found one. I didn't ask for one either, so it was just as much my fault for not knowing. We walked the length of the entire building from the country club to the lodge when we attended our meetings. It was pretty nice. I weighed myself when I got home and discovered I had lost 3 pounds from all the walking and stair climbing. LOL! One final thing, if you want to go out instead of eat in the resort, there are many great places on Route 23 and 94. Wantagh, Hamburg and Sussex are your key towns for GPS and food places. We went as a group so each person paid and that made the suites very affordable. It was a very fun weekend but I would like to spend an entire week here in the future if possible. Have fun. It's a great place.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are like a regular hotel room and set up is nice but if you can go for the suite...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Evettesmom,

I'm glad that you had the opportunity to visit our property with a large group of friends, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your warm remarks with our staff and with other travelers; thank you! Please do visit us again for leisure, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back whether it be for a week or for the day. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. Thanks again for posting, and hope you had a great weekend!

Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Great vacation with my adult nephew and his 2 children ages 9 and 10. The most beautiful hotel room I have ever stayed in and I have traveled most my life. I do wish they had some additional on site activities. The golf course looked beautiful and I was unable to golf due to a foot injury and looking at the golf course from the patio each day was killing me. Room service is pricey and not organized very well. The tavern restaurant had one of the best burgers and I highly recommend that. The lobby is very small. I thought overall that the price was just a bit over what it should have been for a one bedroom suite. Overall, I would come back here again.

Room Tip: Has a great kitchen in the suites. Bring your own food for some of your meals. Not many restaurant...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Patti P
Dear Patti P,

It was our pleasure to have you and your family as our guests, and thank you for writing about your trip. Sorry to read about your foot sidelining you from golf this time around, but next time for sure. Hopefully, you were able to at least enjoy a little mini-golf on our natural turf putting course. I was delighted to read that our suite received high marks from you, and of course, I cannot disagree. The full kitchen is a great, but daresay under-utilized, amenity for many of our guests. I was, however, disappointed to read about your less than spectacular experience with room service, and I will share this with our room service manager. As for the Tavern Burger, it is definitely phenomenal...especially with the applewood bacon and brie or bleu cheese crumbles (or if you really want to be outrageous the foie gras).

Overall, so glad that you enjoyed your stay and do truly hope that you will visit us again very soon. Until then, safe travels!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stayed at Grand Cascades - one of the three resorts of this complex. Amazing for families. We liked this one best because of the biosphere pool complex. It has a great slide and caverns as well as big jacuzzi and separate sauna room. There is no lifeguard on duty so plan to keep eyes on your kids. You can go explore other resorts that are part of this complex (they provide free shuttle) but they are as much as 20 minutes away. The other resorts have their own specialties - like if your family is super fitness oriented stay at Minerals. Another spectacular feature at Grand Cascades is the daily tour of the wine cellar at 3pm. All the rooms are not created equal - we booked a 1 br suite w/ fireplace and outdoor deck based on the web site because we were looking forward to a jacuzzi that could actually comfortably fit 2 adults (which is is technically a 3 person jacuzzi) We found out that the 3 person jacuzzi is available by request only and have certain room names - even though they are same price! (Longpond or Willowstream lookout suite) (your welcome)!!! We are going back and were sure to request the larger suite with the larger jacuzzi by name. There is a strict occupancy policy - so if you have more than 2 kids be prepared to pay more. It's worth it to get the suites with kitchen because on site food is VERY expensive and can make it super costly - so make breakfast and lunch in the room and save money for a dinner splurge and the farm to table restaurant! There are also some less expensive decent places to eat just off site of the property. The place is immaculately clean and well maintained. There are several chill places around the grounds to hang and catch the sunset. There was no traffic there or back from NYC which is HUGE when only getting away for a few days - travel time a little over an hour - incredible when we have sat in long island beach traffic for hours even knowing side routes.

Room Tip: ask for longpond or willowstream lookout suite for bigger room with bigger jacuzzi at same price
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank suzanne v
Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for visiting Grand Cascades Lodge, and thank you for posting about your trip, your experiences, and providing some great tips for other travelers who have yet to stay; I am certain they appreciate it also! Thanks much for recognizing our housekeepers and grounds crew, who do an amazing job keeping the whole property looking fabulous. I agree that Chef's Garden is definitely worth the trip and I'm glad you took the opportunity to dine there.

For Summer and Fall the upgraded one bedroom suite has the great perk of having a second fireplace outside on the balcony. It is true that there are two different layouts for this type of suite and the bathrooms are part of that difference. The jetted tub in the Long Pond Hearth Suite is slightly larger, but is still meant for a one person. Truly, only the largest of the two bedroom suites in the hotel has a full Jacuzzi tub. I recommend speaking with the hotel front desk directly after booking, to make sure that any special request is properly addressed. (973) 823-6511 is the direct number for anyone reading.

Thanks again for posting, and for your kind words, and we look forward to your return. Until then, safe travels.

Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This property is located in the mountainous are of northwest New Jersey. The clientele draw seems to be from New York and New Jersey.

If your main focus is golf (lots of beautiful courses) and hanging out at the lovely pools while being lifeguard for your own family, you will like this property. There are some nice (but not overly diversified, compared to other resort experiences) activities to do. Night time glow bocce ball was fun, the sunset golf cart ride, an afternoon at mountaintop on the lake (which had friendly, enthusiastic lifeguards and a very good archery instructor) lead the headlines.

Staff were very pleasant and friendly, helpful when approached. Front desk staff plentiful and helpful. Valets remarkably cheerful and upbeat as well.

Not a lot of spontaneous niceties or chatter, though, from guests, residents, or most staff.
I was born in NYC and raised in NJ, so I realize that this is a geographic specific thing, but I am always mildly surprised when I return to the area. It also may be from the fact that the resort has a residence/real estate base in that people can buy and maintain units for themselves, so it can function more like an apartment building, and people probably have their own routine and social base. Just mentioning this in case you are a traveler who likes to absorb the area culture through interaction.

Pools are advertised as having no lifeguards, and while they use signage to indicate children should not be there unsupervised, it did not appear to be enforced. I observed an approximately 9 year old with no judgement dunking a 2 year old repeatedly, leaving him gasping for breath and choking on water (no parents). I dodged 6 year olds running around with ignited wooded roasting sticks, dumping a pile of new sticks on the fire- they were supervised by a 10 year old (no parents) As you cannot count on parents to comply or demonstrate good judgement, there does need to be lifeguards and a staff member at these events.

The chef's garden area is lovely and beautiful to walk in, I was disappointed that it was closed during the week, leaving a big range between a formal sit down dinner and grab n go at the Biosphere Cafe. Off property dining was necessary frequently.

Our unit was spacious, nice, complete kitchenette and laundry. Do not put anyone larger than a preschooler on the sofa bed, it was not comfortable. The housekeeping team was efficient and could "blitz tidy" within minutes if you had them in while you were in the unit. 5 very polite, thorough staff members got a lot done in 6 minutes.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mg3542
Dear MG,

Thank you for visiting us at Grand Cascades Lodge, and experiencing some of the great beauty and comfort that our resort has to offer. And I thank you for taking a few moments to reflect and share your feedback with us and with other travelers, past, present and future. I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed the resort's mountaintop lake, indoor and outdoor pools, and golf courses, among the other great amenities that we offer. Yes, I definitely agree, it can be frustrating when other guests are not responsible for their children in some of the shared spaces, but our staff and our lifeguards do try to manage that to prevent other guests from having a bad experience. I appreciate your kind words to our friendly, eager employees, and I know that the praise means a lot, as they do work very hard.

We all hope that you will visit again, possibly later this Summer or Fall on a weekend to experience Chef's Garden, and if you need assistance booking please do not hesitate to contact me.

Once again, thanks for visiting and for posting!

Fort Lee, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

What a pleasant surprise!!! Just got back from a spa get-a-way with some girlfriends and found this place to be a hidden gem. The grounds, landscaping and gardens are spectacular. Service was stellar, and we really enjoyed the 2 restaurants that we dined in which were the Spring Cafe and Chef's Garden. Chef’s garden is farm to table and supplied from the beautiful and bountiful organic garden surrounding the outdoor patio bistro. We had a suite which was fantastic full of every amenity and with a large balcony with dining table for four overlooking beautiful scenic mountain views. A must see is the wine cellar tour which is one of the largest most impressive cellars in the world, absolutely amazing and our guide was friendly, incredibly knowledgeable and passionate about her trade and full of insightful stories. Fabulous spa treatments and services. I highly recommend Grand Cascades which honestly felt like it was a plane ride away and easy to forget that you're in the Tri-State area.

Room Tip: balcony a must!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lisa S
Vincent S, Front Office Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Lisa,

Thank you so much for choosing Grand Cascades Lodge and for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate that! "Hidden gem" and "girls getaway" are two phrases we hear all the time when talking with our guests, and it was my pleasure to read that you and yours had a wonderful, relaxing, wow'ing stay at our resort. For any travelers reading who are visiting us during the weekend in Summer, I genuinely recommend the Chef's Garden restaurant, as Lisa has, which is such a unique and amazing setting and the beautiful pictures hardly do it justice. Lisa, I am so happy that you had the chance to dine there and found it to be incredible. Me too!

Our staff is greatly appreciative of your thoughtful review, and we very much look forward to your next visit to Crystal Springs Resort. Until then, safe travels!

Rooms Division Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamburg
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek
Minerals Hotel
#1 of 2 in Vernon
3.5 of 5 stars 1,208 reviews
Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary

Been to Grand Cascades Lodge? Share your experiences!