“NICE PLACE... COULD BE BETTER.”

Grand Cascades Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This place was beautiful. It reminded me of frontier land in Disney. The weather was cold and the trees are still bare here but I imagine it's quite beautiful in the summer. The front desk person was just OK, didn't make me feel truly welcomed. The restaurant/bar personnel are friendly but their prices seemed a little high. For such an elegant bar, I was surprised to hear a female manager berate a server in front of the guests. Not cool. I asked the bartender who that was and she said she's a manager. Room service was pleasant but could have been on time. I will say that I was very pleased at the cleanliness of my room and the fireplace was a nice comfort (it gets pretty cold here at night). I visited the indoor garden pool and it's quite lovely. There was a young man, I believe he was the manager, who came up to us immediately to see if we needed anything. He told us a little history of the area and seemed much more attentive than any other person we spoke to that weekend. My husband thought the prices in the pro shop were a little expensive considering it being so early in the season and much of what they carried was merchandise left over from last season. I don't play golf but he said he would come back to play all of the courses.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool area on the third floor. The scenery is great and the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vincent S, Front Office Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Grand Cascades Lodge. We are glad that you enjoyed our property and amenities and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We will most certainly investigate your comments regarding your experience at the restaurant, and we are sorry that our front desk agent did not truly make you feel warmly welcomed. Please contact any of our front desk managers if you would like to discuss your stay further. We would love to have you visit again and hope to see you and your family soon. Thank you again!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

FIrst time visit. One night stay for business. Large group used two restaurants, meeting rooms and had a wonderful dinner and wine lesson in the Wine Cellar. The room is beyond expectations. Its really a one-bedroom condo with full kitchen (high end finishings), dining table, breakfast bar, living room with sofa and love seat, flat screen tv mounted on wall, corner fireplace, terrace with table and 4 comfy chairs, huge bathroom with shower stall and soaking tub, double sinks, large king bedroom with foam tempurpedic mattress (very comfy) and washer/ dryer!! Several closets. Would be very comfortable for an extended stay. The lodge is huge so be prepared to walk quite a bit. Lunch in the restaurant near the pro-shop. Good. Good service from Caroline. Dinner in the Wine Cellar. Excellent food. Wonderful wine tour. Dessert wasn't very impressive. Breakfast in the meeting room was very good. Just a beautiful place. Outdoor fire pits, comfortable seating, lots of activities. Beautiful view. Wished I could stay longer. Will return.

Room Tip: Very quiet lodge. Heard no noise from neighbors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
CrystalSpringsNJ, General Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Jackiepaddy,

We appreciate you writing to tell us about your stay here at Grand Cascades Lodge. It is wonderful to hear from business travelers who are able to experience our restaurants, award-winning wine cellar and unique team-building activities.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon for a leisure getaway when you can enjoy our tropical Biosphere Pool, have dinner in the Chef’s Garden, or try out our new Adventure Center!

All the best,

Reviewed April 30, 2013

This piece of paradise just 52 min from NYC remains one of our favorite places in the Northeast. I was thrilled to be back at our honeymoon spot, as this remarkable hotel is truly classy and luxurious - not to be missed!

I was a tad disappointed and surprise when I arrived at my $350/ nt room to find a gorgeous view and an ugly bed (see photos). Not very inviting. I was also surprised (again) to find the valet guys, both young and old, so much more courteous than the Front Desk staff. The young man who carried our bags to our room treated us like royalty and recommended many great hotel events and amenities. I think the front staff may respond better to the folks who look more wealthy - Upon check in and check out, my hubby and I look pretty casual and our reception by staff seems to be influenced by this, which is unfortunate. We don't look like golfers or business people, but we spend a lot of money on the room, at the pool bar, the restaurants, etc and we are VERY good tippers.

That said, we truly love Grand Cascades and the Biosphere Pool is worth all the money!!! Its Hawaii just an hour from our home!!!!! Cant wait to go again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SaraPaul

Dear SaraPaul,

Thank you for choosing to return to your honeymoon destination, Grand Cascades Lodge! We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your recent stay, as your feedback helps us to improve the resort and ensure that all guests enjoy their time here at Crystal Springs.

Providing our guests with the best possible service is our top priority. We have passed your kind words on to the bell staff, who take great care in welcoming our guests. We sincerely apologize if the front desk did not meet your expectations. We have shared your experience with Hotel Management and your concerns will be addressed.

Thank you again for choosing Crystal Springs Resort. We look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Cascades Lodge again soon.

All the best,

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Dining experience at Tavern was very poor. Despite many (12+) tables available, host sat us near exits where people came in and out all night. Would not accomodate our request to change seating. We were also disappointed to find pool bracelets left on the pillow from previous guests. Although my husband and I went for an overnight stay to relax away from our children, the resort was filled with them~ we decided to not even go into the biosphere pool after we walked through and it was wall to wall children. When we ordered room service (chips and salsa) were told that there would be an extra $4 charge for cheese. When the nachos arrived (45 minutes later) there was about a tablespoon or less of cheese provided- certainly not $4 worth. With the price of our room ~$350, one would expect at least a fridge with drinks available, however the only water was available down the hall for $3 a bottle. I am the last person ANYONE would consider a penny pincher (not by a LONG SHOT) but the poor customer service combined with the outlandishly high price of silly things like water and cheese will certainly not have me stay here again OR recommend it to anyone! In fact, we were so frustrated by the high prices that we checked out early and had breakfast down the road.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Heather B
CrystalSpringsNJ, General Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Heather B,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Grand Cascades Lodge. Your feedback is very important, as we want all of our guests to enjoy their stay with us. Please know that your review has been shared with management and your concerns are being addressed with Housekeeping and Food & Beverage.

March and April are popular months for families looking to take advantage of "Spring Recess" and the Resort's kid-friendly amenities, including the Tropical Biosphere Pool. We certainly understand that this environment can have an impact on couples looking for a more tranquil and relaxing experience. The jacuzzi, steam room and sauna are reserved for adults only, as is Reflections Spa and Restaurant Latour.

Providing our guests with the best possible service is our top priority. We encourage you to contact us at your convenience so that we may personally address your concerns.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The hotel is very nice, if you're into golf, its a great place to go. The spa /pools are worth a day's visit, but the overall service at the hotel was medium quality- and it was a bit overpriced for what you get.

We organized a number of people staying at the hotel as a part of a room block. Some of our friends really enjoyed the experience, but our room had some technical problems (phone and some other things didnt work) so we called down to report the problems. It was late at night, and to their credit they sent someone to work on it right away, but it would have been better if they had waited until morning/ or offered to let us switch rooms. The repair man came to our room at 1am and was there for about 15 minutes while we were lying in bad... I finally asked him to leave even though he had not successfully repaired the issues.

The food was very good, and the grounds are lovely, but for the price we paid, I would have expected a bit more in terms of service and room quality. Because we were the organizers of a large room block, I would have also expected that they treat us better when we had our problems with the room.

I got a survey a few weeks after our stay and I noted the issues with the room. They offered me a 25% discount on a future stay, a gesture which helped make me feel better about the experience- but probably wont lure me to come back for another stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank offtracktraveler

Dear offtracktraveler,

Thank you for choosing Grand Cascades Lodge for your recent group gathering. Our property offers a variety of unique, luxurious amenities for families and friends looking for a relaxing and rejuvenating getaway - including the Tropical Biosphere Pool, award-winning Reflections Spa, 135,000+ bottle Wine Cellar and the Resort's seven golf courses.

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to learn that our service did not meet your expectations. Providing our guests with the best possible experience is our top priority, so if at any time during a guest's stay they are not completely satisfied with their room, we encourage them to contact a manager. We are more than happy to relocate a guest if other rooms are available.

I hope you allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations during a future stay at Grand Cascades Lodge.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband, three kids and I met my parents and two sisters and their families for a mini-vacation over Spring Break. We wanted somewhere with activities for kids and adults. The Biosphere pool was the main draw as well as the list of activities. Unfortunately once we arrived we found there really wasn't much to do besides the Biosphere pool. We were there from Sun-Wed and there were no activities available that suited our children, ages 9,7 and 15 months. The food was very good but definitely overpriced. (We have traveled the world and have lived in some very expensive areas so we have a good sense of value.) We were not given the opportunity to do any wine tasting which disappointed me. I am a personal trainer and attended a yoga class at Mineral Springs. I enjoyed the class but trying to find it was ridiculous!! The classes and fitness area was "odd" for lack of a better word. I brought my older kids to the "daycare" thinking they could hang out with other kids but it was really a baby/toddler nursery. I let them play in the arcade but felt very uncomfortable leaving them alone. We did participate in the hike and enjoyed that very much (not the family one but the more "challenging" hike which was fine for my kids). The hotel rooms were very nice and we loved the full kitchen in the suites. The bathrooms were huge but the jacuzzi jets needed better cleaning. Unfortunately the kids got the king size temperpedic and we got the sleeper sofa. That was the single most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on (and I am former military). Overall, the room worked for us, the pool was great but we would like more family/childrens activities and more reasonably priced dining options.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank hrw2mom
Vincent S, Front Office Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Hr2wmom,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grand Cascades Lodge. We truly appreciate it. I am glad that you found your suite to be spacious and comfortable and that you enjoyed our Biosphere pool and family hike. I understand that the sleeper sofa is not the ideal option for two adults, and I am sorry that you did not have an opportunity to enjoy all that our resort has to offer, as there are many outdoor amenities added to our events schedule during the warm Summer months. If you enjoyed the hike, you would most definitely enjoy our fishing, archery, canoeing, biking and other Summer activities. We hope that you will choose Grand Cascades again, and I encourage you to contact myself or one of our front desk managers to assist you in booking a future stay. Thank you again for writing!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

First I would like to say this is a beautiful property and the room was gorgeous!
Second, I would like to recognize one individual in particular that truly stood out to me and my guests - Darlene at the front desk was one of the most friendly people I have ever met. She was very helpful and had a wonderful smile that could light up any room! I felt very comfortable knowing that I would be taken care of with her professionalism and very apparent dedication to her job. You go girl!!!!

I would recommendation this resort to anyone!

-one happy guest, Lindsey C.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
CrystalSpringsNJ, General Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Lindsey C,

Thank you for sharing your great experience with us and our guests. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the world-class amenities and hospitality at Grand Cascades Lodge. Providing our guests with the best possible service is our top priority, so I'll be sure to share your positive feedback with Darlene and the hospitality team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Crystal Springs Resort again soon.

Grand Cascades Lodge at Crystal Springs Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamburg
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek
#1 of 1 in Wantage
Minerals Hotel
Minerals Hotel
#1 of 2 in Vernon

Been to Grand Cascades Lodge? Share your experiences!