“Beautiful hotel/grounds- but not such a great value”

Grand Cascades Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The hotel is very nice, if you're into golf, its a great place to go. The spa /pools are worth a day's visit, but the overall service at the hotel was medium quality- and it was a bit overpriced for what you get.

We organized a number of people staying at the hotel as a part of a room block. Some of our friends really enjoyed the experience, but our room had some technical problems (phone and some other things didnt work) so we called down to report the problems. It was late at night, and to their credit they sent someone to work on it right away, but it would have been better if they had waited until morning/ or offered to let us switch rooms. The repair man came to our room at 1am and was there for about 15 minutes while we were lying in bad... I finally asked him to leave even though he had not successfully repaired the issues.

The food was very good, and the grounds are lovely, but for the price we paid, I would have expected a bit more in terms of service and room quality. Because we were the organizers of a large room block, I would have also expected that they treat us better when we had our problems with the room.

I got a survey a few weeks after our stay and I noted the issues with the room. They offered me a 25% discount on a future stay, a gesture which helped make me feel better about the experience- but probably wont lure me to come back for another stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank offtracktraveler
CrystalSpringsNJ, General Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear offtracktraveler,

Thank you for choosing Grand Cascades Lodge for your recent group gathering. Our property offers a variety of unique, luxurious amenities for families and friends looking for a relaxing and rejuvenating getaway - including the Tropical Biosphere Pool, award-winning Reflections Spa, 135,000+ bottle Wine Cellar and the Resort's seven golf courses.

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to learn that our service did not meet your expectations. Providing our guests with the best possible experience is our top priority, so if at any time during a guest's stay they are not completely satisfied with their room, we encourage them to contact a manager. We are more than happy to relocate a guest if other rooms are available.

I hope you allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations during a future stay at Grand Cascades Lodge.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband, three kids and I met my parents and two sisters and their families for a mini-vacation over Spring Break. We wanted somewhere with activities for kids and adults. The Biosphere pool was the main draw as well as the list of activities. Unfortunately once we arrived we found there really wasn't much to do besides the Biosphere pool. We were there from Sun-Wed and there were no activities available that suited our children, ages 9,7 and 15 months. The food was very good but definitely overpriced. (We have traveled the world and have lived in some very expensive areas so we have a good sense of value.) We were not given the opportunity to do any wine tasting which disappointed me. I am a personal trainer and attended a yoga class at Mineral Springs. I enjoyed the class but trying to find it was ridiculous!! The classes and fitness area was "odd" for lack of a better word. I brought my older kids to the "daycare" thinking they could hang out with other kids but it was really a baby/toddler nursery. I let them play in the arcade but felt very uncomfortable leaving them alone. We did participate in the hike and enjoyed that very much (not the family one but the more "challenging" hike which was fine for my kids). The hotel rooms were very nice and we loved the full kitchen in the suites. The bathrooms were huge but the jacuzzi jets needed better cleaning. Unfortunately the kids got the king size temperpedic and we got the sleeper sofa. That was the single most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on (and I am former military). Overall, the room worked for us, the pool was great but we would like more family/childrens activities and more reasonably priced dining options.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank hrw2mom
Vincent S, Front Office Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Hr2wmom,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grand Cascades Lodge. We truly appreciate it. I am glad that you found your suite to be spacious and comfortable and that you enjoyed our Biosphere pool and family hike. I understand that the sleeper sofa is not the ideal option for two adults, and I am sorry that you did not have an opportunity to enjoy all that our resort has to offer, as there are many outdoor amenities added to our events schedule during the warm Summer months. If you enjoyed the hike, you would most definitely enjoy our fishing, archery, canoeing, biking and other Summer activities. We hope that you will choose Grand Cascades again, and I encourage you to contact myself or one of our front desk managers to assist you in booking a future stay. Thank you again for writing!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

First I would like to say this is a beautiful property and the room was gorgeous!
Second, I would like to recognize one individual in particular that truly stood out to me and my guests - Darlene at the front desk was one of the most friendly people I have ever met. She was very helpful and had a wonderful smile that could light up any room! I felt very comfortable knowing that I would be taken care of with her professionalism and very apparent dedication to her job. You go girl!!!!

I would recommendation this resort to anyone!

-one happy guest, Lindsey C.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
CrystalSpringsNJ, General Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Lindsey C,

Thank you for sharing your great experience with us and our guests. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the world-class amenities and hospitality at Grand Cascades Lodge. Providing our guests with the best possible service is our top priority, so I'll be sure to share your positive feedback with Darlene and the hospitality team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Crystal Springs Resort again soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I went here over the weekend and we loved it. Every aspect of this weekend was amazing. The restuarants, the location, the Spa (couples massage), the room (we had a studio suite), the Biosphere, etc were above and beyond our expectations. Everyone was so friendly and very helpful!

My only complaint is that reservations are needed for dinner at the hotel restuarants (which was no biggie because we just sat at the bar and ate there) and that there was no hair dryer in the room bathroom. Other than that we loved it and will definitely be back in the summer. Thank you so much for a nice romantic weekend with my husband. Very luxurious!

Room Tip: we had the studio suite on the 5th floor and it had a gorgeous view of the mountains and the golf co...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear VANSAL,

Thank you for your review. We're happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your recent romantic getaway at Grand Cascades Lodge and took advantage of our great amenities, including the tropical Biosphere pool, Reflections Spa and resort restaurants.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Crystal Springs Resort again soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The beautiful setting of grand cascades lodge is priceless, but the glory of the hotel is starting to fade. Once new and impeccable, the hotel is starting to age and needs a bit of maintenance attention (water stains on ceilings in hallways, wearing of carpets and bedding) from normal wear and tear. The staff is still highly attentive though, making you feel special. If you are a couple coming without children, you may want to avoid the biosphere. We came up for a weekend in early march and went down to the biosphere for a dip in the hottub at 9:30 (thinking that was late enough that there wouldn't be many people there) and the biosphere was PACKED with children! Parents were letting them run wild and it was hard to find some quite without children (they were even in the sauna and steam rooms-which was disappointing and the staff should have been more watchful of that). It is still a romantic getaway though if you avoid the pool!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room that overlooks the mountains and golf course (but NOT one right over the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveler2385

Dear traveler2385,

Thank you for choosing Grand Cascades Lodge and Northern New Jersey's beautiful countryside as the destination for your recent romantic getaway. We know you have several choices when you travel and appreciate your return visits.

We take pride in providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service, so it's great to read that our team's attentiveness and friendliness was recognized.

I'm sorry to hear that our appearance did not meet your expectations. Your concerns have been shared with our teams of engineers and housekeepers who work very hard to keep our hotels looking great.

The tropical Biosphere pool is certainly a popular resort amenity among families and was very busy during the month of March when children were out on spring recess. We're sorry the Biosphere did not provide the quiet oasis you were looking for Saturday morning. Your comments regarding the use of the Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room were addressed with our pool supervisors and lifeguards, as these amenities are intended for adults only.

Thank you again for continuing to choose Crystal Springs Resort. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations during a return visit to Grand Cascades Lodge.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I have gone to GCL for weekend getaways but this time we brought our children with us for a night away and they had a blast. The staff there is always willing to help in any way to make your stay a nice one. Our girls spent most of the weekend in the great biosphere pool with the waterslide and at night the fire pit marshmellow roast was a huge hit. So much fun!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Aim225,

Thank you for your kind words. We take great pride in providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service.

We are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent visit to Grand Cascades Lodge. The tropical Biosphere pool, water slide and marshmallow roast are fan-favorites for guests of all ages, while our luxurious spas, award-winning restaurants and wine cellar provide for the perfect setting for a romantic couples getaway.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Crystal Springs Resort again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We also stayed Easter weekend and booked a one bedroom king suite. It did have a Tempurpedic bed which was stiff. The suite we had was on the fourth floor with a balcony. We loved the kitchen & washing machine/dryer setup, but were baffled by the fact that the dining room table had only three chairs, we had to use the larger chair from the desk. We brought all of our food from home (saved tons of money this way), so I cannot comment on the restaurants.
The bathroom was not what was pictured. It was a little smaller, and had only one sink, but it had it's own climate control and heated floors.
The patio was nice, but the table and chairs were quite dusty.
With respect to the amenities, the pool area is congested and you do have to search for a chair. Both days, we managed to get two chairs, but it was a little difficult.
Not to preach, but for some reason people (guests) felt entitled to yell at the pool staff due to lack of seating, It's not their fault. They worked diligently to help when they could.
The spa was very nice, the steam room was wonderful and they offered small treats to eat and drink after your service.
At night, at the outdoor fire pit, children were offered free marshmallows to roast on long sticks. We thought this was a lovely gesture.
If you do plan on going to Grand Cascades Lodge, I would recommend a non-holiday weekend.

Room Tip: We had a lovely room on the fourth floor with a nice view of the mountains.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank O&Msmom

Dear O&Msmom,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Grand Cascades Lodge as the destination for your Easter weekend getaway. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and were able to experience the tropical Biosphere pool, Reflections Spa and marshmallow roast during your visit.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our top priority. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Crystal Springs Resort soon.

Grand Cascades Lodge at Crystal Springs Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamburg
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek
#1 of 1 in Wantage
Minerals Hotel
Minerals Hotel
#1 of 2 in Vernon

Been to Grand Cascades Lodge? Share your experiences!