“An Overall Great Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Cascades Lodge

Grand Cascades Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamburg
Anguilla
“An Overall Great Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I booked the Grand Cascade to celebrate our 12th anniversary. We had been visiting with my father in New Jersey and wanted to find a nice place not too far away. Grand Cascade was just the answer. I couldn’t believe this place was in NJ. I lived most of my life in NJ and had never heard of it.
We booked a Jr. Suite with a spa package. The room itself was nice (although housekeeping could have done a better job dusting) but the room had a view of the parking lot and you could constantly hear people moving their luggage in—not exactly the romantic view we had in mind. They did not have a room that they could move us to the first night but for the second night of our stay they moved us to a one-bedroom suite on a higher floor with beautiful sweeping views of the mountains and the golf course. We had a big balcony where we enjoyed the bottle of champagne which they provided in celebration of our anniversary. I must say I was very impressed that management made an effort to meet our request.
There weren’t any major downsides to our stay, just a few minor things that I will mention. Firstly, I found that the staff at the front desk were cordial enough but certainly not friendly. When you are paying the kind of money that Grand Cascade charges you would expect a very warm reception. Secondly, at check-in they asked us if we were interested in turn down service and asked us to indicate at what time we would like the service. The time was noted in the computer. Despite this, we did not receive turn down service on either night. When my husband told them about this, the person with whom he spoke proceeded to explain to him what turn down service is. Being well seasoned travelers, we know full well what turn down service is and we didn’t get it.
Thirdly, the concierge woman was just plain grouchy, looked tired and overworked and didn’t seem particularly interested in helping us with dinner reservations. She seemed a bit annoyed that we didn’t make up our minds regarding a dinner choice quickly enough for her liking.

I had a deep tissue massage at the spa which was very good. The therapist really knew her stuff and I very much enjoyed my massage. The only downside was that the spa is a bit noisy and busy. There was incessant chatter in a place that was supposed to be quiet and relaxed.

Crystal Springs consists of several different properties. On our first night after dinner we went across to the Mineral Springs nightclub. It was a fun scene and we found what we felt was a bargain on the wine list. The bartender however was rather surly and inattentive.

The biosphere pool was beautiful with the waterfalls and plant life. I enjoyed the whirlpool and steam room when there weren’t noisy children running in and out of them. It was difficult to find a lounge chair in the biosphere as this is a very popular hangout for all visitors to Crystal Springs.

The highlight of this property in my opinion is the food. Every meal we had was excellent. On the night of our anniversary we splurged--and I do mean splurged because it was extremely expensive--on the seven course wine pairing menu at LaTour. We were not disappointed. I highly recommend this. We also had a tour of the wine cellar---extremely impressive. My husband is in the wine business and we are big wine drinkers and big foodies. We enjoyed the tour and the maître’ d was extremely knowledgeable about wines and was full of passion. Everything we ate at Grand Cascades was delicious and we tried all of the restaurants.

I was particularly impressed by the fact a manager got in touch with me after I completed the visitor's survey. I mentioned on the survey that there was a discrepancy on my bill that I noticed as I was leaving but didn't have time to wait in the long line. Before I even had the opportunity to call, the manager contacted me via telephone straightened out the problem and went through the few negative points I raised in the survey.

Overall it was a fabulous weekend. The property is breath-taking, the rooms are spacious and well appointed, and the staff is friendly and helpful (save the few exceptions already mentioned). I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: You difinitely don't want a room overlooking the parking lot
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank barl16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was the 3rd time I have been to this hotel. The first time was during a ladies weekend with 8 other women. We shared two suites and had cocktail hour in them before going out. During the day, we got our massages and relaxed in the biosphere. It's the most beautiful atmosphere ever! It's surrounded by mountains so every view is superb. The hotel is clean, and beautifully decorated. The staff is friendly and attentive and the food is delicious. My only issues with this place is the price (it's pretty expensive, especially if you eat there) and also the snack bar at the biosphere. The line takes forever, even if there is only one person ahead of you. But this should not stop you from checking this gorgeous place out. The spa itself is worth the trip. The staff at the spa is very professional and the experience was perfect. I had the full body massage once and the couples massage twice, as the last two times I went there I was with my family. My daughter and nieces loved the place too. The water slide at the biosphere was their favorite. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Clinton, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I spent a night here for our anniversary. We upgraded to a one bedroom suite which was really nice. It had a kitchen, sitting room, nice bathroom(huge), fireplace and a very large balcony with a fireplace. The balcony was very large, we could have had a nice meal out there with 6 to 8 people. The view was amazing.
We went during the week, so things were quiet, but hope to go back for a weekend and take our four kids since there are a lot of activities offered. The biosphere pool was wonderful, so relaxing with a nice hot tub and the pool even had a slide. The staff mentioned that there is a shuttle that will take you to their other property which has even more pools. I would definitely recommend staying here. We had a couples massage which was great. The spa was amazing!! One of the best I have been to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

It certainly is nice.... But the hotel is not staffed with efficent high quality service individuals... If you know what I mean. They are not very informative and Im not sure if it is due to lavk of communication from management? Or they simply don' t want to know. If you ask them about a poster or event that might be posted in the lobby, they can't answer you. They are not on top of their game. For a high quality type of hotel you might expect the staff to be trained to be customer service friendly?

The pools and areas are nice, but we were there a few weeks ago and decided to play outdoor tennis....OMG!!---- the courts around the realty office is DILAPIDATED!!!!! It was horrific and an eyesore. Did they expect us to play on that? We were thinking of going into the realty office to inquire about homes in the area... But after seeing that... We had a change of heart. Not only was in unplayable where someone can fall and trip and sue the hotel or area.... It must have been like that for awhile! Those courts look like they were neglected. They have beautiful greens for golfers... But they coiuldnt spend a few bucks to redo those courts and make it nice?? It looks like it is meant for drug dealers to go to. Please please fix those courts... Are you waiting for a major law suit? Believe me, fixing it maybe a lot cheaper in the long run.

Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Apples A
pine hill, nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I wanted to getaway for a night for our anniversary and found this place only a few hours from home. The reviews are pretty accurate for this accommodation. The place is beautiful and picturesque. The room we had had a full kitchen living room bedroom and bathroom. We paid extra for a patio with a fireplace overlook ing the golf course which we used all night and really enjoyed. We are not folders but we did use the spa which was top notch and a good reason to go back. The food on the premise was very good and our waiter during our dinner was very attentive. Dinner was a little pricey but for a special occasion it was worth the splurge.
Now on the down side. Our breakfast waitress was about as dippy as they come. She had to be reminded 2x's for everything, however the food was good. The Biosphere pool area, whole very nice is actually sm additional charge to use. The pool is not heated and the area was not that warm, so exiting the pool was was freezing. Although the people at the check in desk were cordial but for the money you pay it should be more then cordial. Also at the end of our spa treatment we were given a foot scrub and we were just left there. No one ever came back. To tell us we were finished or what to do. We ended up just getting up and leaving. Kind of a downer to an otherwise awsome spa experience.
I would probably go back if I hit a good deal.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank tripgirl74
Edison, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

This hotel is a perfect spot for a weekend getaway during the summer. The hotel grounds are beautiful, the rooms are very large and the pools are great. The biosphere pool is great if the weather doesnt cooperate-- if the weather is nice, there are a large number of outdor pools to choose from. Also, the shuttles to the other resorts allow you to experience the food options, pools etc at the other related hotels. The spa is excellent as well. The only negative is the food. While LaTour is outstanding (witha an unreal wine list and cellar), the rest of the restaurants -- in particular, the garden-- were disappointing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
wayne, nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

A highly underrated resort, especially if you are a golf enthusiasts. Located in a secluded portion of Northern NJ. Beautiful countryside, championship golf, and world class wine and food. Highly recommended for all groups - couples, friends, families.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamburg
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek
Minerals Hotel
#1 of 2 in Vernon
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,339 reviews
Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary

Been to Grand Cascades Lodge? Share your experiences!