“I wanted to like you, so I tried you again....”
Review of Bea McNallys

Bea McNallys
Ranked #18 of 90 Restaurants in Hackettstown
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The Irish in me couldn't resist.... I have been eating at this spot for 20 years through the name changes and this one is my least favorite in fare....I know Irish food, an am a restaurant brat, so I wasnt holding it in comparison with my family's food in Ireland,or with the top spots in Ireland, but hoping it was a hearty simple fare with more volume than price, more home cooked comfort than new age twists on ingredients....Twice I was there with big tables... I went along with the crowd, not my choice.... We all offer eachother tastes.... I take everyone up on that ! I order sheppards pie ..... They changed it so its not as greasy and it is a bit aromatic in flavor, hearty, not salty. The potato design on top was clever but top should be delicious not cute, it was overworked and dry , pastry tube forced.;meaty vegetable below was good moist consistency ...a good filling comfort dish, my favorite of the Irish fare if I had to pick, but my neighbor makes it better .
. Corned beef was a disappointment because it was too lean of a cut, served cold and dry on a plate with gorgeous carrots... No flavorful broth to keep it moist and hot... Boiled potato tastes like boiled water.......Ireland's not known for amazing exquisite food, but for the love of God, they are known for the potatoes! They should be the best thing on the menu , on the sheppards pie, with corned beef.....but the easiest to make was the lousiest on the menu.... The baked macaroni and cheese!!! It tasted sour like the milk had curdled and oily like a cheap cheese was used and was hated by 4/5 in my party.... I tolerated it, traded my dish for it to keep someone from making a complaint because I just wanted to get out of there without a sour note..... And the waiter was so friendly and attentive that I cared more about the enjoyment of company than critique to ruin the moment.Too many beautiful rooms to choose from, go simple with a burger and fries and one of their healthy fresh salads, expect 3 stars but go for a pretty place and friendly face....

1  Thank Bornhappy

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Great food and a good beer selection. I will definitely be going to Bea McNally's again in the near future!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

My son and I enjoyed lunch here today. I had Quesdillas and my son had a Reuben with waffle fries. We also had a nice IPA beer with a subtle raspberry flavor that was excellent for lunch. We've been to this building numerous times, while it was other dining establishments. The renovation is VERY nice. One room had a gas fireplace with tables set up right next to it, and it would be lovely for a winter dinner. There are lots of beer selections and prices range from $3.75 - $6, with most being $%. We will definitely be back again, and bring more friends and family with us.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This place took over the old Charlie Brown restaurant and invested quite a bit in renovations. The restaurant is upscale from Charlie Brown and the decor much nicer. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to dissuade the locals from coming in dressed in flip flops, cut-offs and baseball caps, which for some reason many people refuse to remove while dining. A good menu, with a good selection of sea food and quite a selection of bar food. Much of what you would expect in an Irish Pub. Lots of beer choices and a very good dessert menu. It can get loud, usually lots of kids.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Met relatives for dinner on a Saturday night. Server recommended the "Fish & Chips" entree as one of the most popular items. While the fish was plump and tasty, there seemed to be more way more chips than fish. My wife ordered the pastrami sandwich which was sent back because it was 95% fat and and soggy which indicates it had been sitting under a heat lamp for awhile. She ordered a replacement dish (ravioli w/cream sauce) which, in my view, was awfully brave for an Irish Pub. Surprisingly, it was good, although a far cry from what an Italian restaurant might prepare. Our relatives order the Corned Beef & Cabbage (good and plentiful portions for anyone) and the Tuna entree and both items were enjoyed. All in all, I'm not sure I'd make the 45 minute trek to dine here again other than for a beer and some appetizers. The place is very nice inside and clean with very friendly servers. One downside is that this place is VERY noisy and the bus staff is EXTREMELY noisy when cleaning up tables. It sounded like they were simply throwing the glassware on the ground vs. into a rubber carrying tray. Part of that has to do with the hardwood floors in the room we were dining in though.