“Great food”

River Star Diner
Ranked #32 of 89 Restaurants in Hackettstown
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great atmosphere, food was great and the service as well. It reminded me of an old fashion diner. This place does it right.

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I like this for a quick lunch. Nice and consistent Greek food. For the money you overlook the casual attitude of the servers. The floors look clean as I am sitting here watching the busboy clean them. Overall good value as expected at diner.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Please take my advice and do not go here! I went into the diner the other day to grab a bite to eat by myself and sat at the counter. The waitress that came to serve me smelled like alcohol and seemed intoxicated she also had a runny nose and kept wiping it with her hands then serving food without washing her hands!I Then while sitting at the counter and getting a cup of coffee I noticed my cup was dirty and told my server about it after I complained I then watched as the server picked up the coffee cups in front of me and checked them before using them. Apparently a lot were dirty as I watched her throw them in with the dirty dishes! She didnt seem to be surprised by the dirt and I wasnt sure if it was because she was intoxicated or because this is normal for the place! As I debated on what I wanted to eat the kitchen door opened and I saw someone smoking in the kitchen - At this point I decided I didnt want to eat here and went to use the bathroom before I left - The ladies room is disgusting and apparently they need to empty the septic tank as toilet doesnt flush well and smells like sewage - I looked up and saw black mold on the ceiling and decided that was it - I was going to make my complaint known and leave. The one waitress who seemed to be management said yes we know about that and are working on it and went back to texting on her cell phone - Unfortunately she seemed like it wasnt the first time to hear this complaint - I will not ever go there again and will let everyone know about my experiences - none of it was good sad to say. Avoid this place unless you like filth and service that is so far lacking I cant even describe it!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

NJ Diners. Need I say more? We had a good breakfast on a cold winter day, seated with an absolutely great river view. There were even some ducks swimming for our viewing pleasure. I still don't know how diners can have such extensive menus but it is great that breakfast is available anytime.

1  Thank LJinSC
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I really hate writing something bad, but we have eaten at the River Star several times because it is convenient, the food is fairly good, the view of the river is very nice and the wait staff is mostly helpful and friendly. BUT, I have visited the restroom on each visit and find it less than clean. Each time I've been there, over a span of many months, the one cubicle has been out of order. The one time the door was open I found a mess in it! I mentioned to the cashier & her answer was, "we know about it". What more can I say?