“Good and spicy chinese indian food.”
Review of Tandoori Chef

Tandoori Chef
Ranked #72 of 164 Restaurants in Hackensack
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Tandoori Chef and Tandoori Dragon share the same premises and probably the same kitchen. The Chef is Northern Indian and the Dragon is Chinese Indian. We opted for the Dragon.

After being seated and given a menu when had about a 10+ min wait for the waiter to show up again even though there were only two tables occupied. Evenutally we got a different waiter and the service was superb.

We started with Bhel and Spicy Shrimp. The Bhel a street food based upon crispy noodles and whatever items takes the chefs fancy was mainly thick crispy noodles with green onion and a nice spicy sauce. The noodle were okay but the whole dish lacked imagination. For the best version go to Chinese Murch in Edgewater.

The spicy shrimp was another mixed bag, A set of small batter fried shrimp with a spicy sauces of peppers and onion. The garniture/sauce was outstanding - spicy and crisp peppers and onion. The shrimp were encased in a thick batter and did not have a detectable flavor. If the shrimp had been sauteed instead of deep fried, I would have been raving.

The main course was a Hakka noodle with vegetable, a thick soba like wheat noodle with a spicy sauce. The vegetables were crispy cabbage, firm carrots and green onion. Not an inspired dish but well prepared and nice level of spiceness. The other dish was the Mongolian lamb which had a deep strong lamb flavor and a favorful but gelatinous sauce which tasted fine over the well prepared basmati rice.

We sampled the sweet lime drink which was tart with finely puree flecks of black pepper. The Thai iced tea though sweet was as well a nice contrast in taste.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went on the weekend and grabbed the buffet which is about $12 / person. The had about 3 non-veg and 6 veg dishes. Dishes were tasty and staff helpful. Good restaurant for the area.

Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife actually introduced me to this place because she frequented it in the past with her co-workers. So I gave it a shot and being that I never had Indian before, I thought it was pretty good! The last time we went during lunch, we noticed that they had roach problem! There were only 4 that I seem and when I pointed it out to my wife; she freaked! They were on the floor and on the wall. When the host came over after he heard my wife jump out if the seat, we pointed them out to him, everyone else who was eating; stopped! He called some guy who works in the back and told him something in Indian and the guy got a broom and tried to sweep them up! Anyways, we havent been back since and the bottom line is, I wouldn't recommend this place

3  Thank Adamlech
Reviewed February 5, 2013

First of all let me say that I would've given this restaurant 4 stars but their service problems prevented that. I should've realized when I saw the help wanted sign for waiter and busboy in the window that was a foreboding sign. They were woefully understaffed and that kept everone from ordering in a timely fashion, waiting way to long to be seated even though there were open tables, and waiting way too long for your check.
Having said all that, the food is excellent! The tandoori chicken was very good. The lamb saag and bhindi masala (oka) were among the best I've ever had! Garlic naan was great!
I hope they get their staffing problem figured out soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our family friend had recommended this place to us. We ordered in from this restaurant, Goat Curry and Hyderabadi Fish. Food was delivered hot and on time. Fish was really awesome and very nicely cooked, although curry was little on sweeter side for me. While goat curry was oily, but tasted really good. Both dishes came with basmati rice as side dish, quality of the rice was OK, not great. Quantity was sufficient enough for two persons for lunch and dinner. We also thought prices were little on higher side, order of these two dishes costed us around $36 with taxes.

Overall liked the food, will definitely order in again. Perhaps will write another review if we visit the restaurant.