“Happy Hour is the perfect time to visit.”

Rosa Mexicano - Riverside Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Rosa Mexicano - Riverside Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 164 Restaurants in Hackensack
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 4
Transit: Bus 756 Fort Lee (exact fare, $5.55) to Hackensack Ave and Commerce Square, walk to The Shops at Riverside Square straight on Hackensack Ave.
Description: Our first Rosa Mexicano to open in New Jersey is located at The Shops at Riverside in Bergen County. The 160-seat restaurant features a spacious bar and lounge area, as well as outdoor and private dining options. Under the creative direction of architect and designer Timothy Higgins, the decor features vibrant colors such as vivid pink, deep maroon, rich butterscotch and warm yellow. Traditional craftwork and adornments include Oaxacan wood carvings of mythical animals, custom wax-dipped artwork, Mayan Indian textiles, and folk art masks. Tortillas are fresh-made on-site at a station featuring colorful tiles and a hammered copper hood. Through the unique designs and cuisine, all will encounter an authentic Mexican experience at Rosa Mexicano.
Reviewed March 19, 2014

It's very difficult for us to drive to NYC without stopping at one of the Rosa Mexicano restaurants. Today's trip was for a "bagel run" and the return trip would be taking us by their Riverside Square location just as dinner time was arriving. We didn't want a huge meal since we expected to enjoy a bagel or two once we got home, so a couple of apps in the bar area seemed like the perfect choice.

It turns out we were within Happy Hour so a couple bottles of Negra Modelos ($3 each) quenched our thirst while we perused the Cantina Menu and the regular Tavern Menu. The Cantina Menu is primarily small plates offered at $7 each after 4 pm. The regular menu has larger portioned apps, salads, and entrees.

Our server brought us some tortilla chips and salsa to go with our beers and we ordered another favorite of ours, their freshly made Guacamole ($14). This was the first time we had to specifically request some warm, soft tortillas to go with the Guac, but the server brought them right away. Also, we saw on the Cantina Menu that from 4 pm to 7 pm they offer "unlimited refills" of the Guac. This is a fantastic deal, but they make so many delicious dishes that we didn't want to not have room to enjoy something else.

Off the Menu de Cantina my wife ordered the Tacos de Rajas (2 pieces; $7) - roasted peppers in escabeche. My choice was from the regular menu, Tacos de Mahi Mahi (3 pieces; $11) - the fish marinated in lime, serrano chile, bacon, truffle oil, and queso fresco aioli in crispy corn tortillas. Both dishes were full of flavor and just enough to eat after the guacamole to hold us until we got home a few hours later.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Great food albeit from a chain restaurant, the at table guacamole is excellent to start with and the choice of main dishes is excellent. Good Mexican beer choices as well..

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Have dined at least six times. Felt guilty for not writing review till now. Went NYE 2013 for dinner & dance pkg. Food very authentic. I'm from Chicago with many authentic Mexican. Disappointed in NJ not many good Mexican more Guatemala immigrants. For a chain rest very good pricy but in NJ!. Attended a sample cook class one Saturday on dessert and really fun. Moved to S Jersey but have gone to Rosa in Manhattan. .Hackensack better decor. Manhattan sort of sterile but food good. Downside for NYE closed at 12:15 so out the door too quick. Probably liquor license issue. Best Mexican in Hacky.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

My wife and I absolutely love Rosa Mexicano. Their food is always fresh, the service is always good and I've always walked away with a great experience.

Their carne asada skillet is to die for. Just mouth wateringly delicious and always cooked to perfection. With creative complementary sides.

Also, the chips, salsa and guac are top notch and super fresh.

We've also been very impressed with their desert line-up, which tends to change seasonally. Sometimes it's even the best part of the meal. They've made some absolutely amazing homemade ice creams and chocolate creations.

I also love their cheerful and colorful décor. Just a beautiful restaurant!

My only complaint is that they are not located within 1 mile of my house! I would go there every week!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Rosa Mexicano was a delightful surprise. I'm used to those pre-made guacamole appetizers at mexican restaurants, for that reason, when Maria approached our table pushing a tray full of fresh avocados, tomatoes, cilantro and other spices, I was baffled. It was amazing!
The entrees were great as well, Mexican food with a creative twist.
I definitely recommend it!