“Not Good”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gloucester City
Reviewed April 24, 2008

My two children and I were put up here by US Airways because of flight problems. First problem we encountered was at the airport. The Quaility Inn with the pick up phone in the baggage claim area is not the one that accepts the airline vouchers. One had to call a number on an advertisement to contact hotel for shuttle.

We just missed first shuttle and it was 15-20 minutes for the next.

The hotel is not near the airport. It took 15-20 minutes at high speed to get to the hotel.

There were others with us with airline vouchers but the clerk was fairly quick in processing us. The airline messed up and didn't actually give me a voucher for the hotel - only food vouchers. I didn't realize this until the clerk went through all 10 vouchers I had and deterimined that there was none for the hotel. Granted this was not the hotels fault and the woman did give me the US Airways rate so that I can be reimbursed (I hope) for my $90.

The lobby was small with low ceilings. The hallway to the back door was dirty. There were 3 -4 buildings all with outside corridors. Ours faced the highway and our neighbors listened to Indian music late at night. Good thing I had sleeping pills.

The bath was mildewy. The rugs not very clean the bed clothes were the new Quality Inn type that I have seen for a few months now.

This is the second Quality Inn I've stayed at in the last month that just doesn't measure up to what one should get at a national chain.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed March 23, 2008

We were another directed to this hotel by the ineptitude that masquerades as the airline US Airways. I have to say that i wasn't at all happy at being offered a 'take it or leave it' hotel of this standard.

After the seemingly obligatory forty minute wait for a hotel shuttle bus to appear (despite at least four of each from the likes of Marriot, Hilton etc arriving in the same period), we gleefully crammed ourselves onto the laps of the other morons of this world daft enough to book a flight with the world's most pathetic excuse for an airline. Thirty five minutes into the journey, we were simply relieved to see anything other than a power station or other industrial landscape through the crowded window view.....so the fact we'd crossed into NJ State either escaped us....or by this time we simply just didn't care any longer. All we wanted was a bed for the night and to get out of this god awful place by morning.

After checking in (surprisingly quickly) we returned to reception and asked the receptionist if there was any store nearby where we could buy a few essentials (as US Airways had managed to get our bags to go where they apparently couldn't get us to follow!) At this point, the bus driver who collected us from the airport volunteered to take us to the local K Mart (1/2 Mile away) and wait until we had bought what we needed to buy. Being Brits and more than happy to walk, we told him to leave us to it and fully expected him to not be there when we emerged 30 minutes later. Gladly, he was...not that the walk would have been unpleasant. The area IS a bit of a dump as alluded to by other posters, but we didn't find it to be at all intimidating or dangerous....just industrial.

Once back, we enjoyed a couple of beers in the excellent bar and then tried the on site Indian restaurant. I've been a long time critic of US Indian retaurants (We are TOTALLY spoiled in this respect in the UK).....and i have to say that this is the best i've encountered Stateside. The Chicken Wings (with an Indian twist) are to die for. The rest of the meal was a mixture of good and blandly average....but for the US, this place is a major triumph....and nicely appointed too!

The shuttle in the morning was prompt and efficient, so overall, desite not ever wanting to step into this establishment, i have to confess to being very pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2008

I didn't go there to spend time at a hotel, it was a place to sleep and that's about all I would recommend it for.
The pool was green.
the lobby stunk.
the clerk was in training and the manager didn't seem to care that we were paying customers and just sat & talked on his phone while we waited 40 minutes to be checked-out by a rookie that had no clue what he was doing(no line up).

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank manonfire1978
Reviewed January 2, 2008

This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. The wrinkled sheets had holes and were stained. The ceiling in the bathroom had black mold growing on it -- no joke. Plus, I have allergies and specifically requested a non-smoking room, but it reeked of that odor-busting cleaner. Worst of all, the cleaning carts came barreling down the hallway -- loud as thunder -- starting at 6:30am. (Add that to the loud talkers above and beside us, and it made for a sleepless night). I couldn't wait to get out of there; we cancelled our second night there and crashed with friends.

• Stayed: December 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 6, 2007

Basically it wasn't a bad room. It had a newly renovated bathroom. The furniture, walls and fixtures were in decent shape. The bed was bigger than I expected, and reasonably comfortable. The restaurant was Indian. I wish I had not already eaten when I got there because it smelled good, (curry) and I would like to have tried something different than the usual fare.

The bad news is that the carpet was FILTHY!!! Grease, dirt and who knows what covered it. I spread the extra towels around the room so I wouldn't have to walk on it. The shower curtain was moldy. Not terribly so, but enough that I didn't want to touch it. The area wasn't the best. I didn't have any problems, and did not feel unsafe doing some local shopping. But I didn't waste time site seeing. In conclusion it's OK if you are just looking for a place to sleep, and I would stay there again if it was the only place around. But I wouldn't bring my family.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2007

I was also put up here courtesy of US Airways after they cancelled my flight. I could not believe they would put one of their customers up in a place like this, particularly after watching their employees get into shuttles headed for the Hilton and Marriott. To start, it's over 10 miles away from the airport and requires a phone call and 20 minute wait for their shuttle. As others have mentioned, the place is generally dark and dingy with rock hard beds and smelly hallways. I arrived late at night, so there wasn't much time to utilize the facilities. I only needed some water and an alarm clock. My clock didn't work and neither did either of the bottled water dispensinig machines in the complex. Enough said.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank Mike505
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We were put up in this place by our airline when our flight was cancelled. Shame on US Airways, this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at, and I work in the hotel industry. The sheets were dirty, large cracks and stains on the walls, dangerous exposed wiring on the provided hair dryer, cable (all 8 channels) was fuzzy until my husband played with the wire, worst of all was the awful smell in the room(years of smoke and something else). The AC hadn't been cleaned in years so that was no help. Couldn't leave the window open at night since anyone could watch or break in with the common outdoor hallways. The front desk staff (there were two people running the whole facility) was rude and unhelpful when asked for a different room and clean sheets. We were given one clean sheet and told that was the last one! Yikes! We walked half a mile up the local highway to buy some air freshner, the city was dodgey at best. Stay away if you can.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Days Inn Runnemede Philadelphia Area
Howard Johnson Express Inn Bellmawr/Philadelphia Area
Red Roof Inn & Suites Philadelphia - Bellmawr
Days Inn & Suites Cherry Hill - Philadelphia

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!