“Minimally acceptable for road warriors”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gloucester City
Reviewed November 6, 2007

Basically it wasn't a bad room. It had a newly renovated bathroom. The furniture, walls and fixtures were in decent shape. The bed was bigger than I expected, and reasonably comfortable. The restaurant was Indian. I wish I had not already eaten when I got there because it smelled good, (curry) and I would like to have tried something different than the usual fare.

The bad news is that the carpet was FILTHY!!! Grease, dirt and who knows what covered it. I spread the extra towels around the room so I wouldn't have to walk on it. The shower curtain was moldy. Not terribly so, but enough that I didn't want to touch it. The area wasn't the best. I didn't have any problems, and did not feel unsafe doing some local shopping. But I didn't waste time site seeing. In conclusion it's OK if you are just looking for a place to sleep, and I would stay there again if it was the only place around. But I wouldn't bring my family.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed September 4, 2007

I was also put up here courtesy of US Airways after they cancelled my flight. I could not believe they would put one of their customers up in a place like this, particularly after watching their employees get into shuttles headed for the Hilton and Marriott. To start, it's over 10 miles away from the airport and requires a phone call and 20 minute wait for their shuttle. As others have mentioned, the place is generally dark and dingy with rock hard beds and smelly hallways. I arrived late at night, so there wasn't much time to utilize the facilities. I only needed some water and an alarm clock. My clock didn't work and neither did either of the bottled water dispensinig machines in the complex. Enough said.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank Mike505
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We were put up in this place by our airline when our flight was cancelled. Shame on US Airways, this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at, and I work in the hotel industry. The sheets were dirty, large cracks and stains on the walls, dangerous exposed wiring on the provided hair dryer, cable (all 8 channels) was fuzzy until my husband played with the wire, worst of all was the awful smell in the room(years of smoke and something else). The AC hadn't been cleaned in years so that was no help. Couldn't leave the window open at night since anyone could watch or break in with the common outdoor hallways. The front desk staff (there were two people running the whole facility) was rude and unhelpful when asked for a different room and clean sheets. We were given one clean sheet and told that was the last one! Yikes! We walked half a mile up the local highway to buy some air freshner, the city was dodgey at best. Stay away if you can.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MN414
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Don't stay here unless you have no other choice. Ants in the bathroom, black cault around the bathtub, trash on the sidewalks, and empty beer bottles on the patio tables. We were here for 3 unpleasant nights - sightseeing in the Philadelphia area, we did not take time to require Expedia to change our reservations.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chemman
Reviewed June 24, 2007

This is known as a true flea bag hotel. I'm surprised the Health Dept. hasn't shut this place down! Sheets had small black bugs, blanket had stains and carpet filthy and had huge stains all over it. Kept shoes on and flip flops on in shower. The neighborhood was scary, no restaurants. Construction workers staying there drinking and hanging around pool drunk and then fighting - police called twice. Indian curry smell from restaurant in rooms. Yuck.

• Stayed: June 2007
5  Thank ThomasUtah
Reviewed June 3, 2007

I don't know where to start. If I could give this hotel Negative Stars I would. I made my reservation through the 800 number for choice hotels. When I arrived at the hotel my reservation was missing. After dealing with an Extremely Rude desk clerk I finally got the two rooms I requested. (Wish I had just left and went somewhere else.) The room I stayed in was rancid. The carpet had huge stains in it. (Wouldn’t want to see what they looked like under a black light). We had four lamps and one count them one light bulb. The coffee pot had not been cleaned in who knows how long. We found an ATM receipt dated in 2006 on top of the TV. The fire alarm did not have any batteries even though we were in a smoking room. We had no iron or hair dryer. The second of the two rooms did not have a security latch or a fire alarm. Contemplated contacting the fire marshal in the town but figured since it was not in a good area nothing would be done. Both of the toilets clogged and overflowed. Other guest in the hotel also complained of the same problems. When we arrived the swimming pool was brown. Why we stayed for four days I don't know but the pool was still brown when we left. I was told when I made my reservation in March that the pool would be open during my stay in May. I really don't think anyone should swim in their pool even if it appears clean.

None of the staff spoke very good English and when I asked for help regarding my bill I was told I by the desk clerk that I would have to wait until he finished his dinner. We also noticed that the family that owned the hotel lived in most of the rooms on the first floor. It was very scary.

Please I beg you DO NOT stay here. There are other hotels in better areas just the same mileage away to Philadelphia for the same price. I switched to a Sleep Inn in King of Prussia (paid the same price as the Quality Inn) and it was an awesome experience. Clean rooms, very very helpful staff, in a great area of town right next to the mall. Same overall company but the stay was like the difference between night and day.

4  Thank raven3591
Reviewed April 17, 2007

I read a couple reviews on Orbitz that seemed OK. I'm betting they were written by the mangers.

The place is awful. Located in a run down, scary part of town, they advertised wireless internet which did not work even after they moved me three times to new rooms that were supposed to be better.

The carpets are filthy, and at least 20 years old. The smell in each of the three rooms was of a very strong antiseptic mixed with some sort of perfume, you could literally taste it when you breathed. And each of the rooms was equally bad, equally smelly, and equally devoid of the promised internet.

One of the rooms I was sent to at midnight was 146. The sign on the building says the lowest number is 147.

The grounds around the pool were unkempt and covered with trash and cigarette butts.

The desk clerk was sympathetic but clueless. Quality Inn needs to revoke this franchise. If this is up to their standards, they have severe quality control problems.

I have been to worse motels but NEVER at a known franchise.

• Stayed: April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Smarmy
Rodeway Inn Center City
Rodeway Inn Center City
#56 of 88 in Philadelphia
Red Roof Inn & Suites Philadelphia - Bellmawr

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!