“Had the salad been my entrée”

The National Hotel Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #8 of 24 Restaurants in Frenchtown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: NJ 12
Transit: The Link Bus (local Hunterdon County transit service), Transbridge Bus Lines (PA, NJ & NYC commuter service).
Reviewed July 15, 2012

On Yelp people raved about the atmosphere. Seriously? It's an old dining room painted a deep red with white trim. Fine. Not chic, not amazing, just what one might expect in a charming old town. The porch was lovely but across from a Citgo gas station. Not directly across mind you, but close enough to disturb what might have been a charming situation. I might have been able to stand the lower-key green & yellow of a disgraced BP, but Citgos are particularly decrepit.

The salad was excellent. You know, simple, dressed greens w/ crushed seasoned almonds and ricotta salata. Yums. The calamari was above average due to lemon aïoli drizzled on it. But then came my entrée. A straight-up disaster. It was supposed to be Indian Chicken Korma. I will not even describe it as it is not worth my time. I'll just say it was below average.

My dining companion despised the tasteless salmon dish but loved the chopped Fattoush salad .

Our waitress was adorable. She was also charming & attentive.

Excellent salads. Disappointing mains. Average meal. Actually, the entire meal was below average.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I've had a few(ok...a lot of) opportunities to meet up with friends after work at The National Hotel since it re-opened in 2009. I find that the front porch is a great place to unwind with a cocktail or two, and the chicken nachos are absolutely wonderful! It's not your typical gooey, cheesy, fattening nacho plate. Instead, it's a delightful appetizer that is topped with black beans, corn, fresh cheese and lots of fresh herbs. The tortilla chips, which I believe are made on site, are nice and light and almost melt in your mouth. My other go-to meals are the lamb kofta sliders, and the National burger. The kofta sliders are an item that I haven't seen served at any other restaurants in our area, and they are simply delicious! And, the National burger...what can I say? It's always good! With the change of seasons, we're usually surprised with a few new menu items, and I always rely on Marlon, the general manager, to give me the inside scoop on which one he thinks I'd enjoy the most. I'm really just a small-town girl who doesn't get too far out of town much, but I've certainly expanded my palate with all of the different exotic flavors that the National has to offer!

2  Thank HeatherW372
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Great ambiance .... friendly staff - fresh oysters and a great menu with selection for all.

3  Thank Dogra11
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Another desperate attempt at appearing cutting edge and hip. Sure there are New Yorkers who live out here and eat up this pretentious crap - that's why there's so much of it around here. Just give us normal local folk good American fare at a good price. Is that so difficult? Sheesh.

1  Thank toonybrain
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

We are so sorry to learn that you did not enjoy the culinary selections we feature on our menus. The National Hotel is known for traditional American fare, complemented by dishes that are infused with international flavors, from India to Latin America. We were honored to have received the "Best Burger" award in our area by dtown Magazine recently, and all of our menu selections are prominently displayed (with descriptions of the ingredients used) outside of our front door as well as on our website, to make sure that our Restaurant & Bar guests have a full understanding of the varied, affordable, and quality dining choices we offer. We are saddened that you apparently didn't select any of the classic American favorites we offer, and that you were expecting The National Hotel to offer exclusively American choices. Fortunately, Frenchtown and the surrounding Delaware River towns on both the Hunterdon County and Bucks County sides do have numerous restaurants that offer precisely (& exclusively) that type of American cuisine. Thank you for visiting us just the same. We hope to one day welcome you back where you might choose to try our burger, 3-cheese mac & cheese, wings, fish and chips, or even be open to trying one of our patrons' favorite ethnic-inspired dishes in the future.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I live in Frenchtown, and was very pleased when the The National Hotel was taken over by new owners a few years back. The improvements that the new owners have made have been even better than we could have hoped for and the old hotel and restaurant is now a focal point in town.

The National is a hotel and restaurant in the old style, harkening back to Frenchtown's origins in the 1800s, when it was one of three hotels/restaurants in town. The new owners have brought back much of the buildings original look and feel, with a few contemporary twists. The restaurant includes a formal dining room, bar room and porch seating, as well as a second bar (the Rathskeller) in the basement area. The bar room in the main area is a great place for informal dining, with a large antique bar and spacious tables.

The food is consistently very good and ranges from informal (nachos, wraps, salad and burgers) to full blown dinners (filet mignon, salmon, chops). Some of the offerings are quite creative and everything has been well above average, fresh and tasty.

The atmosphere is friendly, service is attentive and pleasant. The bars have a nice local feel to them and are populated largely by a mature crowd. It's a regular stop for us on a Friday night, for a relaxing small dinner and drinks.

The only negative I could mention is purely subjective - they do occasionally have live music - a guitarist or small group - and the place is really too small for it. It's loud and distracting, and although we're regular patrons we stay away on those nights.

1  Thank Karen D