“Amazing food”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

The Frenchtown Inn has a nice, relaxed atmosphere. The food is excellent and beautifully presented. The service was great. In warm weather, it is nice to sit on the porch at the Inn.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

We had a very good meal and the atmosphere was pleasant. Walking around the town and visiting the shops was just great fun. I would highly recommend the Frenchtown Inn.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Four of us went for brunch on Easter. We ordered the Beef Wellington and the rack of lamb for mains and had the crab cakes and shrimp, caprese salad, spring house salad and beet soup for appetizers. Our seating was prompt and the staff was courteous. Our orders arrived in a reasonable time period and the food was presented very nicely. I had the crab cakes and the Wellington, a taste of the tart and the cappuccino.

The three little crab cakes were nicely seasoned and fresh, although a bit on the precious size. They were each topped with a dab of nice aioli. The three naked shrimp were a throw-away as they were essentially tasteless. There are lots of ways to make shrimp tasty but boiled the way these were is not one of them. For $13.98 I would have rather had a couple of larger crab cakes as they were the stars of the dish and worth ordering as a main.

The Wellington at $37.00 arrived with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and haricot vert. The accompaniments were all right, but a bit flat for my taste. The garlic in the mashed was a bit too subtle, merely a hint. I love to see and taste the roasted garlic in garlic mashed. The Wellington was done to the requested rare, medium rare state, with a nicely crisp pastry shell. The portion size was average. The duxelle was an interesting take. Generally when I have had/made this component, the meaty mushroom flavor is intense, making a nice compliment to the beef. This duxelle was light, both in color and texture with more of a set custard base. The mushroom flavor was nice, if a bit subtle. I can see the appeal if you feel that Beef Wellington can be a bit too heavy. The beef itself was decent quality, although the other diner did remark that his was a bit tough.

the other two diners commented that the rack of lamb, which looked beautiful, was very well done as a dish. Both diners who ordered this dish were pleased. The other comments were that the beet soup appetizer was interesting, if not a bit unconventional and the caprese salad used fresh ingredients, although again it was a bit on the smaller size.

Desserts and coffee.

I decided to forgo the desserts and opt for a cappuccino. The diner next to me ordered a chocolate/peanut butter tart, which admittedly, was the bomb. He insisted on sharing and I can confirm that this dessert hit the mark. I would almost say, best of show.

I always try to be as accurate as I can describing my dining experiences. I am an adventuresome diner. I like innovative cooking and bold flavors, so judge my comments accordingly. I also feel that if I just gush praises or heap criticism that nothing is passed on, so let me sum up by saying this: Yes, the chef is good. Looking around the dining room, he clearly knows his clientele and cooks to their taste. If you have a more conservative palate, you will be right at home.

And this brings me to the $3.98 cappuccino. This is not the province of the chef, but the bar. And yes, it was that bad. The coffee tasted burnt and it was overloaded with milk with a thin foam cap on top, strictly for show. In Rome they serve something called a latte macchiato, which is steamed hot milk in a tall glass with a shot of espresso. Kids love it, but it has nothing to do with a cappuccino. This was an unflattering imitation of that. I should have sent it back but as a guest at the table, I decided not to make a stir. Maybe I should have as I just couldn't finish it.

I would definitely return, maybe at a less pressured time than Easter, to sample some of the chef's other creations and explore his talents. I'll just skip the coffee.

1  Thank RJM3
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Four of us ate at the Inn for Easter dinner today. We all enjoyed our starters and our meals very much - I had the Beef Wellington and it was perfectly cooked. Initially the service was very attentive but the wait for our desserts was inordinately long. It was a great day to be in Frenchtown and after dinner we walked on the bridge to PA and enjoyed looking at the River.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We dined here for our 36th wedding anniversary. From the phone call to make the reservations clear through well wishes as we left, it was a masterpiece.
You have three choices-the Brick Room, which is more formal dining, the grill room which has a bar in it, still very nice, if a tiny bit more casual, and the front porch outside. We chose the brick room and it was the right choice for us.
The food was fantastic! Better than anything I have had in New York City, or anywhere else. I had the rack of lamb, prepared perfectly, with the most delicious honey sweet potatoes I have ever had, and french green beans. Hubby had a seafood chowder for starter, and a quail and roast duck entree he said was fabulous. For dessert we shared a flour less chocolate soufflé, with raspberry chocolate truffle ice cream. Our server told us it was gluten free,and her favorite and she did not steer us wrong! IT WAS WONDERFUL! And such a surprise for me to have an option for dessert that was not another creme brûlée or ice cream.
The walls are decorated with the most beautiful paintings by Alexander Volkov. When I expressed my interest in them, I was brought an album of his work and encouraged to peruse it over a second cup of coffee! What a thoughtful and nice thing for them to do. We loved this restaurant, and will be back.

1  Thank letsgomama