“Very Expensive but good food”
Review of Frenchtown Inn

Frenchtown Inn
Ranked #4 of 23 Restaurants in Frenchtown
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The food was good. The waitress was very friendly and attentive. But we were under the impression that Friday night was a more relaxed type of menu. Their special that night was Salmon which was $29.00. (They seem to forget to tell you the prices of any of the specials.) So I think that $3.00 for each ice tea. and each coffee was too greedy. There was not much to choice from under $18.00. and the portions were not that big. No one need a "doggie bag."

Reviewed September 26, 2013

This restaurant caters to the locals and a somewhat older crowd, which is a good thing! Fine dining in the evening is lovely as is lunch on the porch. The food is very good and the service is friendly and efficient. A bit pricey, I think, but nonetheless I enjoy going there.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

had to wait about 15 minutes before we were greeted by our waitress - food was good - could use a bit more updating.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had heard this was "one of the best restaurants in New Jersey". Really?? The dining room is charmingly decorated. The bar room where we sat for dinner is visually warm and appealing. The food however, was surprisingly disappointing. The menu items were nothing unusual or creative-- ceasar salad, fried crab cakes -- and even that could be excused if the dishes bursted with flavor in one's mouth. That was not the case, though. My husband's steak was cooked properly and that was about the highlight of our meal. The crab cake and "jumbo" shrimp appetizer was a let down. The cakes were too heavily friend instead of sauteed and the shrimp was merely boiled with no seasonings, and the side sauces of wasabi and I'm-not-sure-what were bland and did not do much to enhance the flavors. My Chilean seabass was almost mushy and again served on a bed of diced veggies which didn't taste like much. There was some kind of sauce which was creamy -- a lighter herb or fresh veggie puree would have been perhaps more flavorful and more reflective of the season's bounty. Especially considering the wonderful produce coming from the many local farms in the area. The wine list was limited as well, and again, my husband made better choices than I did there, as he ordered one of their drink specials of the summer which were served (cutely) in mason jars. He had the rum punch which he enjoyed. Overall, though, the meal was a letdown. We probably won't be returning for anything other than drinks at their bar.

2  Thank whocares99
Reviewed August 28, 2013

So maybe lunch should be avoided at this old standard. I was really quite surprised at the tasteless food and really below average service. We were a party of two, on a weekday for lunch. We were told to pick anything and waited at least fifteen minutes for anyone to approach us with a menu or a water, yet many of the other tables were being helped. After the water arrived bread came 15 minutes later. No drinks were able to be ordered so we simply waited as there was no one around to even asked unless we got up and walked to other side of terrace. A good 40 minutes into our wait our order was taken. The meal was below average for a local diner let alone The Frenchtown Inn. I will not recommend nor will I make the effort to come back with so many other better options in the Hunterdon County Area. Makes me sad.

2  Thank triptroll