“False Advertising”
Review of Delaware River Tubing - MOVED

Delaware River Tubing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Delaware River Tubing is the absolutely the best Tubing, Rafting, Kayaking and canoeing on the entire Delaware River! A must see. We are the Original Tubing Business. Delaware River Tubing sets the bench mark, we are the true river professionals. Every try to be us but we have the very best section of river, the most scenic, fun and historic! Just miles from where George Washington crossed. We are the first to have upgrade tubes, we invented the three chamber tube AND we invented "The Stay Together Straps" which are free to everyone to use. We are the only River Tubing, Rafting, kayaking and Rafting business that is all inclusive! Free Parking, free bbq meal midway with the Hot Dog Man! Free stay together strap, free life jacket, Free shuttle to and from the river! Our boat rental is the most fun thing to do in NJ, NY, PA. Outside adventure!
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have never written a review before but felt compelled to this time. When we arrived at the Delaware River Tubing Company, I saw a sign that said "No Hotdog Man today". My friend and I thought it was just bad luck on the day we went and figured they would give us back a small refund as we had paid through groupon. What we found out is that the Hot Dog Man has not been open all season. If that is the case, why offer a BBQ meal when you know that it is not an option? The website should have written the truth, not had the false advertising that they did. We would have just brought food with us. When we asked for a refund they told us they would upgrade our tube or give us $3 to use their merchandise. Neither of those options would be a good lunch. I would recommend going to Bucks County River Country instead as they give that they advertise.

4  Thank TLopez1
in 8 reviews
"rafts"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed July 13, 2013

They tubing itself was quite enjoyable. They had buses running regularly which was nice and there wasn't much wait time getting to the river. I would say DRT check in was very efficient. The hot dog stand was open for our trip down the river which was nice. A bit of a line but again they kept it moving and it was very efficient. I can understand why they would have it closed during days where the river is high so although other people were upset in past reviews I would just call ahead if that is something you are concerned about. The end of the trip is where I have a problem; when you get out of the river it is a big muddy hill and the people working offer no sort of help. First of all it is dangerous as the day progresses and more and more wet bodies have passed through leaving no traction to get up the hill. Secondly my mother fell walking up the hill trying to carry the tube and the young man standing at the river bank just stood there and while other customers (complete strangers) were helping her and we were carrying all the tubes he just said smugly "people fall every day there's nothing I can do about it. So although it was a fun activity it left us with a rather sour taste in our mouths.

3  Thank Katie C
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was there last Sunday. My first and probably last time.

My experience overall:
Bad case of false advertisement; misleading website for things that are not available.
They are really understaffed and probably because of that, also terribly disorganized.

The website promotes 'Free BBQ meal with all river trips'. Not true.
And changing rooms/shower included. Not true.

The 'famous River Hot Dog man' is not open for the season. The changing rooms are two tents with no privacy and the 'shower' is 1 hose for all.

A truly honest business would have posted the warning about the food on their website or make an adjustment to the price or at least give up the parking fee.

They take advantage of the obvious: you planned you whole day around the trip; you drove there; you payed for the parking by then; the scorching heat while you are going through all that and you only want to get to the river! If you are one of those lucky customers that were offered the 'upgrade', good for you. Otherwise it was 'no food' and no free 'upgrade' either.

It's the truly 'at your own' experience in the sense that you have to fend for yourself even before you get to the river. Once you pay, you get your bracelet bang and go to the line for the bus in the area where you are supposed also to be given your life jacket and your tube. Instead of waiting for their turn to be handed a tube, people just get off the line to guarantee a 'nicer' tube and it's each on their own. If you follow the rule you may end up with a deflated tube or having to wait for a good piece of equipment to show up.
By this time you know what an idiot you are for wearing a band that supposedly would grant you a nicer float, when apparently it is so easy for others to cheat.

They had two staff members in the equipment/bus area : one very kind, doing what he could in that heat; and one very rude that seemed annoyed that I didn't want the deflated old tube he had 'found' for me.

Then you are 'dumped' in the river for your adventure. That would be just a suggestion but, f you advertise your business as family attraction, I think it would a more professional touch if your staff offered some 'basic' assistance in the dump site to people that seem obviously first timers or with kids.

Finally, the river. The only good thing on this.

Then, getting off the river that it's more or less the same mess as it happens in the drop off. Expect to get very dirty with mud here.

You are back to the place, hoping to clean yourself a bit and change clothes ( because that's what you are made to believe thru their website) and you see that the shower is a very much solicited hose.

The 'changing' room is actually a tent and it's not clear if it's supposed to be a 'group' changing or not. It's big but there is no divisions at all. Besides that, it didn't close from one side so you were bound to be in the awkward situation of having a person, men or women or a kid just walk in on you from the wrong side of the tent.

It's all fun and all but you are also bound to meet rudeness in these situations.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I believe that , whatever you are, if you ever walk in someone naked/half naked and none of you were expecting, you are required to express some kind of apology. If it happens to be in a place with no clear rules of privacy levels ( like a tent in a very disorganized place) a basic courtesy like below is still in order:

'Excuse me, I didn't know you were here' Do you mind if we share the tent with you?'
Chances are that the person wouldn't mind. But if she/he does, it still in their right.

It's rude to skip this simple gesture of courtesy just because you and the person happen to be of the same gender. My opinion of course.

Thank you.

4  Thank ClaireLVNJ
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This journey was very nice and fun a year ago, now is terrible, do not try it. This is why;
- The equipment and the buses are not clean or in good condition.
- The service you are paying is for a drop off at the river side and a pick up in a muddy and slippery area after 4 hours. No signs, no persons to assist you, no personnel for emergencies and no possibility of finishing the journey before.
- They took away the hot dog man, which was the attraction and the possibility of stretching your legs.
- There is no correlation between your payment and what you receive in change.
- food and restrooms only at the parking lot. A single hose to clean your body/shoes, you have to wait a lot of time to use it.

They charge you more than $30 and they just drop you in one side of the river.

4  Thank Rafael P
See more reviews
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This past weekend my fiance' and I decided to go tubing down the Delaware River. We chose to use the Delaware River Tubing Company because last year they were very organized and easy to work with. Unfortunately, due to state regulations, this trip was not run as smoothly.

To their credit, the staff did an excellent job handling the high volume of tubers during our arrival. At the ticket window the prices were not reflective of those on the website. There was no mention of a $2.00 river entry fee and there was no mention that their "famous hot dog man" was either closed or not operating this season. Again, to their credit, they offered a $5 discount or a free upgrade to a better raft. We opted for the raft, but were overcharged by $5. The price on the website was $32.00 for weekends. We ended up paying $37 and change per person for the trip.

The trip down the river was great. The river was moving quicker than normal, but that was to be expected due to the heavy amounts of rain we have had this spring.

After a little under three hours we finally came to the exit / staging area on the river. Though there were three company employees there to help, the landing area was sloppy, slippery, muddy, mess. Several people slid back down through the mud into the water while several others slipped an fell into other non suspecting people.

Though we were able to make it up the landing it was clear that this was unsafe and something should have been done to make sure no one got hurt.

Back at the venue there was one hose for 50 people to wash off with. Furthermore, the tents they had set up for changing were NOT segregated into smaller changing areas. Although I could have waited, I had to change in one open-room tent that had both open windows and an open door. Last year, the tent was divided using dollar store shower curtains to provide privacy. This year there was nothing. This was kind of sketchy.

To their credit, the Delaware River Tubing Company contacted me and offered to give me free passes. Although the back half of the experience was a bit rough around the edges, they have tried to make good and have said that they are working to enhance the return experience. I thank them for that.

Please don't let my review steer you away from using this company, but be aware that things are a bit up in the air right now.

One more thing, don't forget sunscreen.

3  Thank KRB1977