“Real Life 'Lazy River' ride”

Delaware River Tubing
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have to admit the Lazy River is always my favourite ride at any waterpark. We had just come from the hustle of Manhattan and were looking for a stop between New York and Philadelphia, this river tubing was perfect. The website says most of it. You do have to pay extra for parking and the facilities are basic but adequate. So the total for a family of 4 was $130 ( including parking ).

We went mid week, and there were no lines. We got changed into our swimming costumes, signed the waiver forms, paid and picked up our tubes and were in the river in 10 minutes. The first half of the ride was quite tame, you are just drifting down stream. The middle of the river is where the current is fastest, but its all quite slow, and the river was never deeper than 4 feet and seemed 18 inches to 2 feet in most places.

I cant see how people can have missed the signs for the burgers/hot dogs as there are 4 or 5 signs from up to half a mile before. It was great to have a break, and the cheesebuger, lemonade and icecream hit the spot.

After the stopping point the river was a little more interesting, with beautiful houses on the river bank on the PA side, and some 'rapids' ( very very tame - did not splash into the ring ) in the river. However the whole ride was through spectacular state park scenery, and was very beautiful and tranquil.

On getting out, there was a short walk up the hill to the road, and a bus was waiting to take us back to the car. I it was about 6 miles back to base.

We all loved the ride ( me the most though ), and totally recommend. The only 'gocha's' is you are commiting to the whole ride which took us 4 - 5 hours, when I had only planned 2 - 3. I think it depends on the speed of the river, and if I had less time I would look for the PA side where I think you can get shorter trips. Also this is not Disney , you are in the real countryside with mud, and real rocks etc. and DRT are working with that not against it.

2  Thank Ives5

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Since I can't swim and am not very daring I was hesitant to try river tubing. Now I'm disappointed I waited so long to try it! It was great fun and a perfect activity for my 15 yr. old daughter and her friends. Make sure you leave at least 3 hrs. for this activity. We thought the company was very well organized. Only complaint is that our bus driver drove back to the parking lot awfully fast! We'd like to buy our own river tubes to avoid the $35 per person fee. Any suggestions on the best tubes to look for?

Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you're looking for something fun to do with either your partner or a group on a very hot day when everyone else wants to stay locked up in their air conditioned homes, then this is thing to do. It can get busy so I would advise you to get their early, and the staff from bus drivers to the people who help you find a tube are very pleasant. Of course, there is also a stop for lunch at the Famous River Hot Dog Man's restaurant, which is located in the water. So, just make sure you have water shoes rather than flip flops like I did so you can get out of your tube and walk easily on the rocks in the water. How long you stop for lunch is up to you, but floating down the river takes approximately four hours, and the bus is waiting for you the moment you end the trip. It truly was one of the most relaxing things I've done all summer, but I would also suggest you upgrade your tube for one that has a back on it. It was worth the extra money.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

After spending days upon days working out in the 95-100 degree heat for the past month, I was looking forward to spending the day floating down the Delaware. My grandparents lived along this very same river when I was kid, and I’ve watched thousands of people pass by through the years. That being said, the first chance I had to go back, I decided to jump on it. I talked my friend Ash into taking the journey up north with me. Out of all the days enduring the heat wave, we managed to pick the one with a temperature of a balmy 75 degrees. Needless to say, the water was a bit on the chilly side, but overall it was a fun trip. There are a few things to note, however, so you are not taken by surprise like we were. When you arrive, you have to pay $7 for parking. Not a huge deal, but it would have been nice to know. This might have been on the website, but if so, I didn’t see it. Also, while looking at the website for prices, they list the group pricing first instead of individual. This caused a bit of sticker shock when paying for the tubes. Once again, it certainly wouldn’t ruin a trip, just make sure you look at the correct price. Finally, when you rent the tubes, it is definitely worth paying for the upgrade with the head rest, and make sure you bring water shoes. You will be happy you did in the long run.

Once on the river, I suggest staying in your tube. I decided to get out and swim. I found out the hard way that it is not a wise idea. First off, it is impossible to get back into the tube while in the current, and secondly, the only consistency the river floor has is that it is covered with big boulders. If you are out of the tube, you get beat up by said boulders. About half way through you have the option of stopping at the The Famous River Hot Dog Man (it’s included in your ticket price so stop by), but it is really easy to float past, so watch out for it. As for the food itself, it is exactly as you would expect; nothing really spectacular aside from the fact that the stand is floating on the water. The hot dogs were definitely a welcome snack, and they give you enough to eat. Plus, if you want more, they do have the option but you need to pay extra. That is only, of course, if you managed to not have lost your money to the river.

The second half of the river goes a lot faster. We chose not to follow the suggested route and went the wrong way around the island. It was indeed slower than the suggested path, but we found a small cut-through which contained the fastest water we hit all day. At the end of the day, the process was quite simple. Get out on the left side of the river, walk up a slight hill, and wait for the bus back. The whole trip took about 4.5 hours and was a very fun experience, and I plan on making a return visit next summer.

2  Thank fatkidnation1
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Even at full price ($40 included the helpful neck rest upgrade and a strap to keep my girlfriend's tube and mine connected), this is good value for 5-6 hours of fun. The company is very well organized. They check your car keys, get people loaded on buses quickly with rafts and life vests to begin the journey, and send over plenty of buses to return people to the facility afterwards. They also include a decent lunch/snack near the midway point (we both liked the veggie burger). This is a perfect activity for a hot sunny summer day!