“Not a good experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Escondido Mexican Cuisine & Tequila Bar
Ranked #96 of 174 Restaurants in Freehold
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our menu selections are inspired by genuine and modern Mexican favorites – all light and healthful with a large dose of flavor integrating everything from the freshest fruits and vegetables, herb garnishes, fresh chopped salsas, individually prepared guacamole, hand cut meats and poultry and fresh seafood from local suppliers.
New jersey, united states
“Not a good experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have had friends rave about Escondidos, so maybe we were just there on an off night. But we won't be back. My husband and I very rarely get a night out without the kids, so I am very happy just to be out. The restaurant was not very crowded, it was a Wednesday evening. Our waitress was a little curt, but no problem. We ordered margaritas which were watery, and a chorizo appetizer. When the appetizer came, it tasted like chili, so we asked the waitress to check if we had received the wrong appetizer by mistake. She immediately copped an attitude, and started to very defensively explain that it was the chorizo, and before we could say no problem, she took off to get the manager. When the manager came over, my husband and I tried to explain that we were just asking a question when she also very defensively explained that it was chorizo. She then went to the kitchen to get the roll of chorizo to show us, and explained how they prepare it...at this point we were looking at each other in amazement at how very blown out of proportion a simple question became. My husband actually asked me if he was rude when he asked the question and I honestly said no. Needless to say, we were stuck with the chorizo that tasted like chili, and it wasn't very good. We never even made it to entree. Like I said, maybe it was just a bad night, but I will not be wasting another babysitter to eat there.

Visited May 2012

Freehold, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't Waste Your Time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My daughter likes this place but I have been here several time this past year and have yet to have a good meal. In fairness, I'm not a huge Mexican foodie but if it is good I enjoy it. The food at Escondido's is bland. I have ordered chicken tortilla soup several times and either is is cold, has soggy tortillas strips or totally tasteless. I ordered the steak Fajita last time and the steak was tough and there were only onions and one or two peppers, that's it. Don't waste your time.

Visited October 2012
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“Love Escondidos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This restaurant has sort of become a family favorite. We go pretty often. My husband loves it as do all three boys...ages 11, 13, 15. They have fun, non-alcoholic drinks for the kids, always have warm chips with dip, good food and nice atmosphere. Service has always been good. It's probably not real authentic Mexican but it's good Mexican and there is a nice selection. The place is big so it's always been quick to get seated. One time we went for my son's birthday and they took a picture of him with a big sombrero and gave it to us. It's was an unexpected perk. I recommend this restaurant for large parties too.

• Visited June 2012
Freehold, New Jersey
“Good times with good friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

I have been to this Restuarant several times and I have never had a bad experience. How do you go wrong with a place that has a Late Night Happy Hour from 9pm to closing? If you are really really hungry try the Insane Burrito, it's huge and will most likely leave you with a doggy bag. Don't forget the try the mango salsa with the appetizers, it's delicious!

FLORIDA
“Just 1 more margarita”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I love going to Escondidos for good food in a festive atmosphere!!!

Visited May 2012