Escondido Mexican Cuisine & Tequila Bar
Ranked #73 of 175 Restaurants in Freehold
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our menu selections are inspired by genuine and modern Mexican favorites – all light and healthful with a large dose of flavor integrating everything from the freshest fruits and vegetables, herb garnishes, fresh chopped salsas, individually prepared guacamole, hand cut meats and poultry and fresh seafood from local suppliers.
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Just ok. Standard drinks and food without any real zest. Good for after soccer games or with a large group of friends where the company is more important than the food.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

We were at Great A and wanted Mexican for dinner. After a 15 minute drive on a Saturday night we arrived. We were greeted and seated immediately. Our server came to the table almost as fast as we were seated. She had good knowledge of the food selections and how things were prepared. The blackboard specials were to die for! Being a vegetarian sometimes makes it hard to get a meal. Not here!! So many amazing choices. We could not believe how huge the portions were and how inexpensive the cost. Our food came, hot and loaded with fresh veggies as described. The chips and salsa were mmmm and our waitress gave us just enough space as to not feel crowded but attended to. We could only eat half then so lunch the next day was just as good as dinner. I'm jealous we live in South Jersey and have nothing even close. This was an excellent find!!!

Reviewed April 12, 2012

There were 20 of us unexpectedly locked out of our rehearsal space and hankerin' for a blow out evening. Someone mentioned Escondidos and the caravan was off on Northbound Route 537 in Freehold! Plenty of parking for us all! Escondidos is a gigantic sports bar/restaurant, not at all "hidden" as its name implies. We piled on in and were seated at a long table in no time flat. Surprisingly hot, homemade tortilla chips and apparently homemade salsa with a gently sharp, deliciously spicy bite were served immediately. Now, I am a Mexican food snob. I am happy to say that Econdidos menu is varied and delicious! Choices? Shredded beef, pork, chicken and my favorite but rarely found: ground beef. I ordered my pork enchiladas with extra cheese and welded to the plate. Ohhh, but it was SO good! Every bite made me weep! ;) Perfectly melded flavors, cheesy, melty, 3 cheese blend, real red rice, cooked to perfection and seasoned beautifully. Like beans? Refried and tasty. Free, constantly replenished soft-drinks and lovely floating mint mojitos drifted around us. Amazing light-speed excellent service! Multiple checks? No problem.
Best of all? KARAOKE night across the hall in the Sports Bar! We are ALL singers with The Heart of New Jersey Chorus. Heaven is an open mic, great music, a lively crowd and steamy delicious pork enchiladas, smothered with salsa and cheese and welded to the plate.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

OK.....I'm gving escondidos a good rating only because my husband and son love Escondidos. I personally don't feel that this is true Mexican Food. Hey, but when they say they want to go there I'm not going to argue it's a night for me not to cook....Outside seating is available when it's nice out. Nothing like sitting outside in chips and salsa with a nice tropical drink in Freehold!!!

Reviewed January 2, 2012

The amount of people eating here keeps the food fresh. The place is clean and it has plenty of room. The food is Mexican style but very Americanized. Out doors seating in late spring through early fall is very nice. Never hurried here and the staff is very friendly. Great local stop.