“Pleasantly Surprised - for the most part” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
New Jersey
“Pleasantly Surprised - for the most part”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We recently dined at Basiles after not having been there for quite awhile. We had not been back because we really found nothing special with our meals. I actually didn't like mine at all. That is the kind of thing you remember even years later. But, we recently decided to give them another chance and for the most part we were pleasantly suprised. The entrees were good although a bit pricey especially since none of the 6 entrees we ordered came with a salad. Not the norm for most places and we did not order cheap entrees. The calamari appetizer was good and a nice portion size. The bread sticks were very good. The atmosphere was nice and our server was friendly. We had to ask for refills on drinks of water and soda which should be refilled when they notice they are low or empty. It's all part of receiving good service. As another reviewer noted, they started to remove the appetizer and one persons entree without asking if we were done yet. Not a plus. I also am not a fan of restaurants that add the tip on to the bill. I know a lot of them do it to avoid the server getting 'stiffed' but the tip should be based upon the service received and the customer's viewpoint and not by the restaurant itself. We had six people and the tip was added on. Most places add on at eight people. Regardless, when the tip is added on then that is all I give. Which is not good for them, since I almost always tip well above the standard percentage. Overall a good experience except as noted above.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Consistently delicious, home-cooked food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Since moving to North Carolina, this is the one restaurant I miss more than any other. We used to go there weekly. The chicken marsala is the best I've ever had. The meals come with a delicious, fresh salad (or soup) which is a great start. My absolute favorite appetizer is the stuffed artichoke. My husband and I used to share it . . . . ohhhh, I salivate just thinking about it. We've also had the cold antipasta, which is also great, as is the broccoli rabe and sausage. This restaurant does not serve, "fine Italian cuisine", but it all has a good, home-cooked feel. The wait staff is incredible and very helpful. They got to know us because we were there so frequently;and knew that we liked to take our time, so they never rushed us through our meal. If you want a relaxing (during the week, because the weekends are usually busy) delicious meal where you can bring your own bottle of wine (or two, as we occasionally did), you will enjoy this restaurant.

• Visited December 2011
Freehold, New Jersey
“My favorite hometown place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I LOVE Basiles. My husband and I have been going since it opened years ago. Being Italian, it's hard to please our tastebuds with authentic sauce and Italian specialities, but we never have a complaint here! SErvice is wonderful, food is hot, delicious, and plentiful, and very kid friendly!

Visited May 2012
Manalapan, New Jersey
“Good run of the mill Italian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

Pizza joint with food, this restaurant is a nice value without the ambience or the price tag. Solid better than average entrees like chicken parm, steak pizziola etc. nice and friendly help. It's Jersey comfort food at its best.

Visited December 2011
New Jersey
“Not worth the trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Went there a few weeks back on a Monday night. Supposedly they had psycic night taking place, but we didn't see any evidence of it. Ordered the eggplant rollatini and was very disappointed. Tasted like it was left over and had been reheated, I could barely eat it and my boyfriend agreed. He had chicken marsala which had very little flavor. Each entree came with a salad which was very disappointing, iceberg lettuce with tomatoe and olive. The bread was the best part of the meal. Garlic type bread sticks which I dipped in the ranch dressing. Hadn't been here in years and will not bother going back again.

• Visited April 2012