“OK to Dine on Nine”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Well, I can't call the old Golden Bell Diner a diner anymore. It's been remodeled to be very pleasant and bright inside and under new ownership. The staff seemed attentive and up-beat.

Standard fare menu was definitely designed for a diner and most nondescript restaurants. My son ordered a plate of chicken fingers with fries and he said it was very good. I ordered a three egg omelette with bacon and cheese, home fires and toast. It was OK and served like a diner would serve it. The down side is that the service took much longer than most diners or restaurants would offer. There were plenty of servers in the place so I think the bottleneck was in the kitchen. I don't think more than half of the tables were occupied. Not a good sign.

If you're in the mood for diner food and quick service, find a real traditional diner. You know, the ones that have stainless steel exteriors along a busy highway.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I really wanted this place to one of those iconic Jersey Diners. Too bad it was not even close..

This was my second visit.
During my first visit I was very disappointed with the food but I decided to give it another chance.

So on the sceond visit, We arrived later in the evening on a weekday. The room was relatively empty.
We placed our order and waited, and waited and waited.
We asked the waiter if there was a problem, he came back and said the food would be out in "a minute."
We then waited and waited.
We asked to see the manager and guess what? We waited for him.
In the interim the food arrived.
It was not up to our expectation
We again asked to see "the manager."
A bearded guy with a sour look on his face arrived.
We told him about the wait and the food quality. He became defensive and said his computer showed we only waited 27 minutes (or something like that).
Well first of all it was WELL OVER 27 minutes. It was closer to an hour, in total, maybe more. (For Diner Food, in a relatively empty room!)
My guess is the waiter originally forgot to put the order in and the 27 minutes time was the 2nd wait (When we asked about the food and he said "one minute".)
Long story short The "manager's" attitude sucked. He handled the situation terribly and made a bad situation much worse.
We left never to return.There are many other superior options in the area.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Just when you guys were on my good side and i was recommending your food/service, i had the worst experience at a NJ diner to date. Steak cooked too well with zero flavor and shrimp basically rubber. Waitress never apoligized but was happy to tell me that a refire would take too long so what do i want to do. Then snatches it away to bring a new one back with a lovely hair stuck to it and a nice set of even more rubber shrimp only to told it may be mine.....im half bald so where did it come from!? To end the night i got to hear the "chef" yelling about the returned food from the kitchen. Bad job all around but really bad customer service, especially if you have no idea who is a food critic or just a regular patron.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Been here several times since they have re-opened and the new look is bright and open. They have the usual diner food and so far everything I've had is great. Salad bar has several options, I personally like more veggie choices but they do put out alot of mayo or oil based extras, like coleslaw, brocolli mix things like that. Staff is always pleasant and quick to serve you. Ill be a regular customer

1  Thank Kathleen L
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stopped by after a day at the mall on a saturday night. THe place was packed, but could seat the 3 of us very fast. The food was great and the staff was well prepared for the amount of people. The 3 of us had a good dinner for under 40$. Gyro, Cheese burger, and chicken wrap, everything was great.

1  Thank KristenandRay