“Mediocre food and service”

Ginger Indian Buffet
Ranked #58 of 173 Restaurants in Freehold
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Liverpool, New York
“Mediocre food and service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

For an Indian Buffet, the choice was limited, and the taste mediocre. Some of the dishes seemed "tired", perhaps warmed over from night before. The Tandoori Chicken was an exception - tender on insde and crisp on the outside. Just like Dabba's in India. That and the mango mousse, a refreshing change from the usual lassi, made up for the rest of the evening. Getting an espresso required some negotiations. The machine was ready and warmed, but the staff was reluctant until the one of them took the initiative. We had heard good reviews about this place and inclined to attirbute this experience to going there on Thanksgiving. Will give them a second chance another time we are in the area.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank DrParticle

Bayville
“Tasty Indian Buffet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I purchased the Groupon buffet. The buffet was small compared to the Asian restaurants but much tastier. The Tandoori chicken was brought to the table and was very tender. There were two other chicken dishes on the buffet. Both very tasty. The lentils were delicious. I will definitely be returning on a Fri/Sat to try the lamb.

• Visited September 2013
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I went to Ginger's lunch buffet on the recommendations of friends. I went on a rainy weekday, and as I walked through downtown Freehold, I saw several half-empty restaurants, perhaps not unexpected on account of the weather. But when I reached Ginger, I found a packed house, mostly young people. This said something to me.

It took no more than a five to ten minute wait for a table, and it was wel worth it.

Mostly vegetarian dishes, but at least two chicken dishes too.

Several desserts were offered on the buffet, but I must say, the mango panna cotta was sinfully decadent!

Outstanding quality and value!

Visited June 2013
Freehold, New Jersey
“Great takeout - So far, So good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Owing to the dearth of Indian restaurants in Red Bank, my coworker and I decided that I would pick up takeout from Ginger, and bring it in for lunch the next day. Placing the order over the phone was easy - the gentleman I spoke with was very polite, even reminding me of their location in town. When I arrived, the owner/manger asked where I had parked, and pointed out that there is plenty of parking behind the restaurant, and an entrance to the restaurant from the back. She also offered that if parking for takeout was ever an issue, just to call, and they would bring the food out to the car. The food itself was very good - I had the Samosa Chana Chaat appetizer for dinner, and it was very flavorful, and a nice big portion. For lunch the next day, I had the Chicken Shahi Korma (med spicy), and it was perfectly spiced. My coworker had the Chicken Vindaloo, and it was plenty spicy, but still tasty. I would get takeout from them again, and look forward to going in for a sit-down dinner.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank blueyediva73
California
“OK Indian food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We went for weekend buffet at this restaurant which is in the downtown section of Freehold. The menu is limited which is ok. But the quality of food is mediocre. The daal makhani was a bit on the sweet side, the naan was too buttery, the cauliflower, carrots, potato subji was ok. We did not find anything special except the dessert was great. The kheer has dry fruits and gulab jamun was good.
Overall, I am not impressed considering the price of the buffet $18.95. This is high compared to some of the Indian restaurants in Iselin area which serves far better food for a lesser price.

• Visited June 2013