“Very nice hidden gem in Bergen County, though a bit over-hyped”
Review of The Chef's Table

The Chef's Table
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Union City, New Jersey, United States
“Very nice hidden gem in Bergen County, though a bit over-hyped”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

If I hadn't read reviews and gotten my hopes super high, this may have been a 5. However, after reading the gushing, raving reviews of Chef's Table, I was a little let down.

The place is much nicer than you would expect given the location in the middle of a strip mall. The decor feels like your parent's or grandparent's house from the chairs which I swear we had growing up to the eclectic mix of waterfowl paintings on the walls.

The food was very good, if nothing especially out there. The menu is a very traditional French menu largely composed of fowl and fish. Everything we had was very good, though I just felt it was lacking the last 5% that would have really made anything stand out. Maybe this is the result of such a traditional menu, but though everything was very good and I'd definitely go back, I just felt each item was missing something tiny that would have made it truly spectacular.

We started with the escargot crocks which were nice and garlic buttery and the little baked caps for each were amazing. The fresh baked bread which also came to the table, paired with the liver spread was fantastic and a delicious touch. We then had the french onion soup which was nice and cheesy. I then had the daily special, a casserole of duck leg and sausages, which was very good though again, missing that something special. The duck leg was very good and the lamb sausages were fantastic. I had a hard time finishing due to the immense amount of beans and baked crust. My wife had the duck breast which she really enjoyed and came with maple sweat potatoes and a medley of veggies. We passed on dessert but opted for espresso which was clearly fresh pressed and excellent tasting.

The service was very good. Our water was constantly refreshed, much appreciated given the heat of the day and the heat of our dishes. Our server was friendly and offered suggestions. Each course took a while between, but I appreciated this as part of the laid back European atmosphere and relished the opportunity to sit back a little.

It is also BYOB which helps with the cost and really made for a great atmosphere. The pace also allowed us to get through a bottle without rushing and truly enjoy it with our meals.

As mentioned, I thought Chef's table was very good, and had I entered with lower expectations, I think I would have enjoyed it all the more.

• Visited July 2013

Dallas
“Glad we came, but a little disappointed”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I had an endive radicchio apple walnut blue cheese salad which was very artfully presented with the ingredients laid out in a concentric circular design. Each ingredient was wonderful, but overall the salad didn't come together for me and wasn't very filling for $13.50. He liked his crab cakes.

• Visited July 2013
New Jersey, US
“Good French food in an unassuming little nook”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I had been wanting to try this restaurant out for a while now, on account of the great reviews we'd been hearing. If you're out for something original and avant-garde, then this isn't the place for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for French bistro food done right, this is it right here--look no further. From the French onion soup to the lunch salads to the crepe my husband and I shared for dessert, my husband and I felt as if we had been transported back to Paris in 2004.

We went for lunch, and unfortunately the menu was more limited, but with the lower lunch prices the value can't be beat. That said, we're looking forward to going back for dinner for more amazing bistro fare. We can't wait!

• Visited May 2013
Suffern, NY
“Great little French Restaurant”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Our Party of 4 had a great meal on a busy Saturday night. The fact that it is a BYOB makes it very affordable. Appetizers like Onion and Leek Tart and Seafood Napoleon were superb. The main courses ran from great seafood to excellent Duck the traditional way. Service was attentive and even though the room is small, there was sense of urgency to have us move along.

• Visited March 2013
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Last night I wrote a scathing review of SAddle River Inn in s Saddle River NJ.Tonight 4 of us ate at The Chefs Table which is the antithesis of The Ssddle River Inn .The food and service were wonderful but most important there is a chef/owner who cares about his customers and speaks to each table . I left feeling cleansed from my horrendous experience of last night at the Saddle River Inn with the arrogant owner.I have never reviewed restaurants before but I do think The Chefs Table is a special experience .Hopefully the obnoxious little owner of the Inn can someday learn how to be gracious to his patrons before the Inn loses all its business .Every dish tonight was perfectly prepared in a truly welcoming atmosphere .