“A bit of a trek to get to....”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Fort Lee
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is in an odd place....just over the George Washington Bridge which itself is very 'uptown'. To get here by Public transport is a real pain and although the hotel offer a shuttle service to and from the bridge it's not evident where to catch it. A taxi to the bridge is $6, but back from the bridge $11 due to road layout. Although it's v close you cannot walk! From there you take any 'bus' for $2 to pick up the subway. A taxi will charge you the $10 toll over the bridge.

The room was what you would expect really - spacious, clean with everything needed for an overnight stay.

The staff weren't the best though - they expected you to already have local knowledge of the area and how the hotel worked. Any question seemed a trial to them, even though they didn't seem to be particularly busy.

Breakfast was nice if not confusing - like most places in America you are presented with an overwhelming number of options, so I found it easier to stick to the buffet.

Didn't have the chance to use the exercise facilities.

I cannot see a reason why I would travel back here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pablomj
Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed January 13, 2013

we checked in Tuesday the 8th 2013 as we walked in the smell of oil from the kitchen overtook the lobby (FYI they really need to change the oil) and when asked about it it was normal to them.
Then i check in my room and the first thing i see is a cockroach on the bathroom frame. It was gross and wouldn't recommend this place even it was for free! i just find out about Hotels.com and for the same price we could have stayed in the heart of time square (parking incl)
Also they need to clean there silver wear it was disgusting!!!

Room Tip: not even you paid me to stay there
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed 1night at this hotel and it was ok. The hotel itself is beautiful and clean and in a good location. The room was average size, nothing special, but the bed & pillows were too soft.We both complained about our backs hurting.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissLady71
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel 3 years in a row for Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day night. Each year the hotel has gotten consistently worse. First year, it was average. Second year, the pool heater wasnt working. This year, we decided we're never staying there again. After a long drive to NJ, we checked and were given a hotel room without heat. It was FREEZING in the room. We called and the front desk associate came up to bring us new keys - response time was fairly quick. We moved down the hall to a smaller room, but at least the heater worked. The last straw was when after a long day with our families, we went back to the hotel to enjoy the hot tub, but the hot tub heater was broken and the hot tub was a cool 77 degrees. We called the front desk and were told "the engineers will readjust the heat." After waiting about 45 minutes, we gave up. Next day, we called the front desk to ask what happened and could they please send the engineer down to take a look. The customer service was awful and unapologetic. We were told it wouldnt be adjusted until the day after Christmas which for us, was useless. We think the hotel is just being cheap and are trying to save money by not turning on the pool or hot tub heaters since the hotel is empty on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day night. Its annoying though when we reserve and pay for a hotel that has a hot tub and pool but they dont work (either due to faulty heaters or cheap hotel management).

Room Tip: Tip: If you dont care about the pool/hot tub, ask for rooms that end in 21/22. These rooms are the c...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ctj1982
German L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

First of all, we would like to thank you for your years of business and loyalty. We’re sorry we didn't provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues in your room and pool area and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn't happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here from 23/12 - 26/12/12. We were visiting relations for Christmas & I'd pre-booked & pre-paid. When we got there I asked whether they were busy & were told they were very quiet over Christmas but very busy over the New Year (by which time we'd have left). Our room was OK, 3rd floor, front so right on the highway. Bit tired but OK. What really surprised both of us was that there was no safe in our room - this is a 4* hotel. We travel widely & haven't been in a 4* hotel (even 3*) for years which hasn't had an in room safe. This was problematic because we'd got cash for our trip & also Christmas presents. When we went out that evening I enquired at reception & the lovely receptionist apologetically informed us that because we'd pre-paid we were in the cheaper rooms which were 3rd floor & below, which did not have an in room safe. She said we could pay $25 a day for a safe deposit box or she could staple our things into a carrier bag & we could collect them later. I was staggered that we'd not been put into a room WITH a safe (given that hotel was 3/4 empty). I asked the receptionist if we could move into a different room with a safe the following morning. She was very pleasant indeed & explained she'd have to ask her manager & to check with her when we came back. When we got back she said, very apologetically, that he'd said No. What poor service & may I say, poor judgement, on behalf of the manager. This was such an easy thing to do to make these customers happy. My daughter in law's relations live in Fort Lee & we will be returning many times - but NOT to the Hilton. Doubletree - you just lost some very valuable custom.

• Stayed: December 2012

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. Hearing from our guests helps us provide the best experience possible. We’re sorry that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and we've shared your comments with our team so we can do a better job of providing exceptional service. Again, I apologize for all the inconveniences. The next time you travel to the area, we hope that you’ll be our guest again.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

There are cons to stay at Doubletree in Fort Lee. It's hard to get there via public transportation or even by my own car especially from NYC. Other than that, this place is awesome. Rooms are clean and restaurants serve good food. The hotel runs its own shuttle between Mid-town and hotel, although it cost $10 for one-way ticket. The shuttle is convenient and the price is reasonable, if one know that crossing George Washington Bridge is now $13.
Their breakfast is excellent. Free Wifi and free business center only increase my satisfaction. The hotel is so responsible for almost everything. I recommend this place!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Huito
German L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments on your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you had a comfortable stay and had the chance to enjoy our food and beverage options. I hope that you and your family have a safe and happy holiday season!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

On the night of the 29th of November 2012 there was a fire in the Hotel. The complete evacuation procedure was mismanaged from both the hotel and the fire department.
The fire department took 20 minutes to arrive and did not clear guests away from the front of the building during the fire. I had to find my conference participants and move them back and away from the building in the event of any danger, myself. There was a fire in a dryer and this indicates the lack of cleaning the dryer vents.
I was on the 14th floor and as a US Army Gulf War Veteran; I found the event traumatic. I evacuated through the smoke filled stairwell from the 14th floor and spent the next 2 hours outside. I had a chronic cough for the next week. The hotel and my room smelled like smoke for 3 days following the fire and I could not change hotels as I had arranged other conference participants to stay in this hotel.

The hotel did not offer any compensation for the shock of the fire or the inconvenience of not being able to sleep that night. The manager reluctantly made a suggestion for compensation after I insisted to 3 of his shift employees, that if they could not help me; then I needed to talk to the general manager. My suggestion was compensation for at least the night of the fire, but I was staying there for 7 nights total. He asked me to promise not to tell other guests, including my own conference participants staying in the hotel, that he was offering me a refund for the one night stay when the fire occurred. Then he had the audacity to allude that my refund be dependent on giving an "excellent survey," as if he would only give the refund if I explained that my stay was excellent. The manager did ask how my stay was "besides the fire" and I told him that returning NYC party goers on Friday night kept me up untill they all returned at 05:30. Saturday night was better, but the hotel is loud, old and need of updates and new management.

I will never stay at a Hilton again and the manager and local fire department's actions are deplorable. I would like to thank the security guard who extinguished the flames. She is the true hero and she went to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

I will not recommend this hotel or the Double Tree/Hilton.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jonathan P
German L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Please accept our sincere apologies for your unfortunate experience with us. Please know that the health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and we will use this event to revise and improve our emergency situation procedures. I am very sorry for the experience and welcome you to contact me personally if I may be of any assistance or if you would like to discuss the situation further.

German Luzardo

Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe
Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park
Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park
#1 of 2 in Ridgefield Park

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge

Address: 2117 Route 4 East, Fort Lee, NJ 07024-3209
Location: United States > New Jersey > Fort Lee
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Fort Lee
Price Range: $114 - $185 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge 3.5*
The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge is just minutes from the George Washington Bridge, Midtown Manhattan, and MetLife Stadium in Fort Lee, New Jersey. Visit our hotel and enjoy a meal at Café Milano or Sugi, complimentary Wi-Fi, & shuttle service to/from Manhattan. Whatever the reason for your visit, relax and keep in shape at our fitness center, heated indoor pool, and whirlpool. Explore many Fort Lee area attractions just steps from our centrally located hotel. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree By Hilton Fort Lee Hotel Fort Lee