“Nice hotel for staying outside Manhattan but is it worth it?”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Fort Lee
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Let me begin by saying that there's little wrong with the hotel: rooms are good, beds excellent, and staff friendly. I'm not sure which group of guests they are targeting, but if it is people who are looking for a good place to stay while avoiding Manhattan prices, there's still some room for improvement. The shuttle service they provide turns out to be a single minivan capable of seating 9 people. It leaves the hotel at 8, 10, and every 2 hours untill six, then 9.00 pm and 11.pm. The only place to get a return trip is the Hilton at 54th and 6th ave.also on a two hour staggered basis. You'll pay $20 a head per return trip, so with my family of three I had to add $60 every day for transport, that puts you in a price bracket where staying in manhattan becomes more attractive. Coupled with a mediocre and $15 breakfast, alternatives suddenly become viable..
And what's with a pool and fitness centre that closes at noon and stays closed until the next morning??

Room Tip: Try for the top floors
2  Thank Lud2710
DoubleTreeFortLee, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Fort Lee. We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your observations and let us know how we did. I was happy to see that you were pleased with the hotel and staff.

Our location is perfect for NYC guests as we are right at the George Washington Bridge. Many guests do take advantage of our hotel shuttle that goes to NY 8 times a day for $10.00 per person each way. You can also take advantage and use public transportation at a lower cost. Our shuttle will drop you off at no charge to Bridge Plaza where you can catch a public bus (for about $2.00 per person) to the subway at 179th street.

Our pool area is a great place to relax and workout. This area is open 18 hours a day from 6am - 12am daily.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Had two nights stay here and we really had a great time. The room was very clean with comfortable beds and quite. The staff were helpful and friendly. The location was just great for us, 10 minutes from Time Square and the hotel shuttle fare is very reasonable.

We will definitely go back.

1  Thank Binduck B
Reviewed July 14, 2012

If you're visiting the city on a budget this hotel is a possibility. Traffic getting across the GW bridge is very bad though. After 1 night I opted to pay $150 more per night and stay in the city. With a little flexibility and diligence you can find better alternatives in the city. If, however, you are staying on the Jersey side then this hotel is a bargain. There is nothing within walking distance though to eat or drink. The lobby bar is average. You get what you pay for. I have a client nearby and would stay here again only if I had an early morning meeting. Otherwise, I'd stay in the city.

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Jski529
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My travel agent booked me here on a last minute business meeting and will have to recommend to my fellow coworkers. Close proximity to lots of different venues and I definitely had a great nights sleep. Only downside was the traffic on rt 4 and the NJ jug handle U turns (:

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We are so glad we stayed at this hotel. Great location for your $$. Very convenient to get to the city and the you cant beat the price. We had a few rooms booked and they were all very clean and nice. The receptionist was very helpful and everything was easy to find. Since we saved so much on our hotel, we were able to splurge in the city!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I see you were able to book one of the many packages that we offer that include breakfast. With being located off of Route 4, we are easily accessible, and it makes easy to get the restaurants and malls in the surrounding areas. Besides our cookies, our beds are another signature for us. They are designed to maximize your comfort for a sound sleep, which I can see you enjoyed. Thank you for the high ranking and I hope that you would come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel to get away and see NYC. What a great place to easily get to and be sooo close to the city without the city prices. The Hotel was beautiful the staff outstanding and helpful. But most importantly for my family the rooms were VERY clean and well apointed.

Room Tip: Book early to get the best pricing
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

We would like to thank you for staying with us here at the Doubletree by Hilton at Ft. Lee; we strive to make sure that every guest experiences a “10” in customer service when they arrive. Our cookies are a brand standard that every guest seems to enjoy. We offer them at check-in welcome you as if you were at home. You can also order them online and have them delivered to your house. We recently switched our toiletries to Crabtree & Evelyn and I am glad to see that you enjoyed them. If you return be sure to visit our fitness center and business center. The fitness center is open from 6am to 12 pm and the business center is open 24 hours and both are free of charge. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you soon

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We thought this was a great place - I pricelined a room with a name-your-own-rate in Fort Lee, and got a great rate at the DT. It was right down Route 4 from my grandmother who was dying from cancer, so that was a good location for us. I knew that the traffic was difficult from previous knowledge of the location, so make sure you know that it is easy to miss the way in/out of the hotel.
Our room looked clean with crisp linens, the front desk staff was pleasant, and seemed like everything was a go.
The first day, we were out the whole day.
The second day, we were out the whole day but came back early afternoon. I pulled back the sheets because I wanted to lay back a little bit. I spotted something in the sheet, but not wanting to alarm my son, I asked my husband to hand me the glass. I took the glass and the notepad and slid the notepad beneath the thing I spotted crawling. I took it into the bathroom, but not having seen a bedbug up close, I wasn't sure if an insect from outside had fallen off my clothing or not. I left it in the bathroom and went back to the main room to look at the bed - there were more. Keep in mind, we had been in this room already and had slept in the bed. The sheets had supposedly been changed!!
My husband looked at what I trapped - he had already fired up the laptop and looked up bedbugs and OH MY GOD - it was a bedbug. I took the glass, with the bug, and went downstairs. There was a line of about five people in front of me. I was standing there, and could see the girl looking at me with that quizzical look.
A person came up and was standing behind me. I could see he was looking over my shoulder. Another woman came out from the desk and asked if I was checking in. I said, "No, I think I have a bedbug."
That got everyone's attention, but she motioned for me to come around the corner. She then asked if I had opened the window. What? Opened the window?? She asked if I had been in the woods. I was thinking, "Come on, lady."
So she finally said she would get housekeeping to find out what it was. I told her that was fine but I wanted a manager on duty to fix it.
The manager on duty said they would move us to another room. Seeing that I was there because my my grandmother was dying and that I didn't want the hassle of having to find another location (and this was the closest to where we needed to be), I agreed, even though I feared this location was full of other bedbugs. The manager upgraded the room we had, but I still did not sleep well, and I was checking our luggage, our clothes, ourselves, the beds, everything. I was very uncomfortable about the situation.
I understand that lots of places in NYC/NJ have bedbugs, but seeing one crawl out of the bed where you just slept is really disgusting.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank TwoWheelsOnly
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

In responding to this review please note that when it came out on 7.2.12 the last line of the review stated last stayed July 2011. Trip Advisor is experiencing tech difficulty on their part which they are working on. I’m please that the reviewer enjoyed the hotel but as the General Manager I must tell all that there have been NO substantiated reports of ANY bedbugs at this Doubletree. This Hotel has specialists come into inspect the Hotel twice each month. We do so to protect the guests from any opportunity of this kind. I would be happy to talk to anyone that would like to confirm what we are stating here in the response to this review. I can be reached at ron.droegmyer@hilton.com
Ron Droegmyer, General manager

Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe
Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park
Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park
#1 of 2 in Ridgefield Park

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge

Address: 2117 State Rt 4, Fort Lee, NJ 07024-3209
Location: United States > New Jersey > Fort Lee
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Fort Lee
Price Range: $146 - $225 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge 3.5*
The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge is just minutes from the George Washington Bridge, Midtown Manhattan, and MetLife Stadium in Fort Lee, New Jersey. Visit our hotel and enjoy a meal at Café Milano or Sugi, complimentary Wi-Fi, & shuttle service to/from Manhattan. Whatever the reason for your visit, relax and keep in shape at our fitness center, heated indoor pool, and whirlpool. Explore many Fort Lee area attractions just steps from our centrally located hotel. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree By Hilton Fort Lee Hotel Fort Lee