“Will never booked here again”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Fort Lee
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Hotel is right off the freeway. Very difficult to get in and out of hotel by car. Shuttle bus charge ridiculous fee to get you to Manhattan. Very expensive. Staff, especially housekeeping staff, not honest at all. Left my daughter's Bench jacket in the closet on day of check out. Used jacket but has sentimental value for our daughter. We realized we forgot it there, 1/2 way home we called the hotel, staff said will call us back and never did. Called again next day, staff claimed jacket was not there said will check again and call me back. Again, no one return the call. Not pleased at all.

Room Tip: Not a a great location to get to Manhattan by car and shuttle bus is very expensive. If you must s...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Brightstar27
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge

Reviewed July 3, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times because of its proximity to Manhattan and the fact that I am arriving with a car. They do have a shuttle to Manhattan but otherwise there isn't great public transportation in Fort Lee. I have had an overall favorable experience especially considering what I paid (booked on Priceline). The rooms were clean and spacious, and the airconditioning worked fine. The location while close to Manhattan is right on Route 4 which is often backed up with traffic. Even a 0.5 mile jaunt to the center of Fort Lee can end up taking over 20 minutes at the wrong time of day.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2011

This was a nice hotel. I was clean and free of bed bugs. I was leery when I read reviews of this hotel, but found it to be nice. It is a bit inconvenient to get to as it is on a busy one way highway near the George Washington Bridge. The walls were thin and you could hear from other rooms and the hall, but if you just need a room to shower, sleep and keep your belongings safe....then this is your hotel for NYC area. Be patient....traffic gets heavy to cross the GWB, but parking is free at the hotel and you save big over Manhattan rates. Staff is friendly and spa and pool area is excellent. Many NYC hotels are older, smaller and expensive to park. Get the EZ pass and save. You can find meter parking on the streets in NYC...just be patient. I stayed at this hotel using my Hilton HHonors points. I stayed for 5 nights at 22,000 points per night. Normally 30,000 points per night.

If you rent a car, especially driving from DC, Baltimore or Philly, I highly suggest getting the daily EZ Pass rental from the rental car company. George Washington Bridge toll is $8.00. I was offered EZ Pass for $9.95 per day and it would have been worth it because of tolls for other bridges and tunnels in NYC and NJ turnpike.

Very good sushi restaurant and cheap nearby (PJ Sushi) and great Korean BBQ restaurant Dong Bang Grill. The Japanese restaurant in the hotel is a bit expensive. PJ and Dong Bang have very reasonable prices. Try the grilled mackeral at Dong Bang for lunch. It runs $13 and has more food than enough. Both places have on premise free parking. Go to the Korean bakery at H Mart one mile away. The pastry is just like pastry sold in Japan.

Room Tip: Book ahead of time. I used my Hhilton Honors pts.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2011

It is not a good sign when you have to call Hilton headquarters to complain about the quality of the stay. It is also not a good sign when the hotel manager ends up comping you one night and gives you free breakfast to make up for the terrible stay. The fact is, once you have a bad stay it is hard for anything to repair it. I commend the manager, Daisy, and others for trying their best, but the fact is the hotel is terrible. They advertise high speed internet in the rooms. The fact is, they are currently wiring the hotel for high speed. So if you can get any signal at all, it's very slow and impossible to get work done. The rooms are in desperate need of repair with mildew in the bathroom, cracks on the walls, furniture badly chipped with drawers off their guides. There are other choices in the neighborhood and though I cannot say what they are like I would consider them before ever coming here again.

Room Tip: I was moved into two rooms. They were both bad.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank barrettny
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at the Doubletree for one night, as we were attending a wedding in Fort Lee. Check-in was quick, and we appreciated the delicious warm chocolate chip cookies upon our arrival!
This hotel could certainly use a renovation. The lobby feels old, as do the elevators and hallways. Our room was relatively spacious and clean, albeit dated. Our bed was comfortable with crisp, clean bedding. The bathroom was fairly large and clean with Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries provided. My biggest complaint was that there was no safe in the room. Not a huge inconvenience, but was surprised not to find one. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi, which was nice.
Parking was free, and I believe the hotel offers a shuttle to New York for $10 each way. We didn't use it, so can't comment on that. Many have complained about the location of the hotel, specifically its proximity to the GW Bridge. It is true that there is traffic, but because it is so close to the bridge, the delays aren't as bad as they might be if you were staying further down on Rt. 4. I'd recommend budgeting an extra 10 minutes into your travel time, not bad considering this area is very congested.
This hotel was fine for one night, nothing special, nothing horrible.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend for one night while on a brief business trip. Before making the reservation, I checked other reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor and noticed a common complaint was about the hotel's location. A quick Google Maps search showed me why. The hotel is located not more than a mile from the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, NJ and is essentially on an island surrounded by car-choked streets. But I figured it was a nice hotel and was within 10 minutes of where we needed to be the next day so we could stand it. Thankfully we had a GPS that guided us to the hotel without any problems, although even at 11 PM, the traffic leading onto the bridge was gridlock.

Overall, I was pleased with the experience. The staff were very courteous and pleasant and everyone we encountered greeted us and was smiling. As simple as that sounds, it doesn't always happen. Check in was a breeze and the complimentary cookies were warm and soft and gooey. Nice treat after a 4 hour ride up. Free parking was also a nice plus.

I had made my reservation via Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" and got a healthy discount. And I knew that our reservation was automatically be made for two double beds. I called ahead of time to inquire about getting a king non-smoking and the person spoke with said they would add the request but could only guarantee the doubles. OK, I understand. Why sell a more popular king room for more than 50% off when you can put them in a double and sell the king closer to full price? The hotel was clearly not full that night, and yet we were still put in a room with two doubles. But it wasn't a big deal and didn't make our stay unpleasant.

The room was well-appointed and up to date. Flat screen TV (no HD), with decent channel line up. Large bathroom with updated tiling and countertops and large shower. A little better lighting near the mirror would have been nice for me when I was shaving, but the lighting was pleasant and it was not at all dark. Just a personal preference. Bed was comfortable and pillows were just right for me, although I tend to prefer firmer pillows. We both slept like rocks and the room was totally quiet, even though we were at the end of the hall nearest to the traffic going onto the bridge. Big plus!

Next morning, we were going to go for breakfast, but realized just how isolated the hotel is on its island. There are no sidewalks and only a gas station nearby. But you have to walk through a seedy motel's parking lot to reach it. We could see a Starbucks sign about 1/4 mile down the road, but it might as well have been on the other side of the highway; there's no way to get there. So, we had no choice but to eat at the hotel. The buffet was, as you might imagine, overpriced and just OK. I had one plate and called it quits. But they have a captive audience!

Check out was equally as easy as check-in. The front desk staff were very nice and allowed us an extra half hour to check out (normal check out is noon). My wife appreciated that! Got a receipt for the breakfast and we were on our way.

Overall, I don't think we would stay here again, just for the location alone. The traffic is bad; getting out of the hotel requires you to pull out into traffic that is driving at ~45 or 50 mph, which was harrowing. And there's nothing around the property, requiring you to drive somewhere if you want breakfast or anything else, really. With many other similarly priced choices around the area that were just as close or a little farther away from our destination than this one, you can avoid the prospect of playing Frogger with NY-bound motorists! If, however, you don't mind all of that, this is a good value (use Priceline!) and the service and amenities (minus the breakfast) are fine.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank kungpow9960
Reviewed May 11, 2011

This hotel is in Fort Lee, NJ which is the first town over the George Washington bridge from NYC. We stayed here instead of staying NYC. They had a shuttle for hotel guests that takes you to Mid Town in NYC. This is a great plus, instead of taking a taxi into the city or renting a car. Where you get dropped is 54th and 6th and is within a few blocks of bus service and subway service. The shuttle was $10 per person, one way. The drivers were nice and they offered complimentary water and sodas.
The hotel had an italian resturant in the lobby. We had dinner one night, and I thought it was expensive for average food. However, we had lunch one day, and I thought it was good for the price. The lunch menu was not all italian. The room service was good and the price was comparable to other places.
The hotel had a business center with an ATM. I tried to use it on 2 different days and the internet was not working on the computers. I needed to print, and the front desk was very nice and accommodating and let me use a computer and printer behind the desk. The wi-fi in the room worked perfectly.
The hotel was located right by the highway and wasn't really within walking distance of anything, except one gas station. The ice machines on a few floors weren't working and they had soda machines, but they only took change. The TV had a good selection of channels. The last day the swimming pool and hot tub were chilly.
I would stay here again, but I probably research and see what other options are available.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
#4 of 4 in Edgewater
Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park
Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park
#2 of 2 in Ridgefield Park

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge

Address: 2117 State Rt 4, Fort Lee, NJ 07024-3209
Location: United States > New Jersey > Fort Lee
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Fort Lee
Price Range: $148 - $215 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge 3.5*
The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge is just minutes from the George Washington Bridge, Midtown Manhattan, and MetLife Stadium in Fort Lee, New Jersey. Visit our hotel and enjoy a meal at Café Milano or Sugi, complimentary Wi-Fi, & shuttle service to/from Manhattan. Whatever the reason for your visit, relax and keep in shape at our fitness center, heated indoor pool, and whirlpool. Explore many Fort Lee area attractions just steps from our centrally located hotel. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree By Hilton Fort Lee Hotel Fort Lee