“Not bad, for Best Western”

Best Western Fort Lee
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Fort Lee
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My experience with Best Westerns is that they are pretty much low-end motels. This one defies that notion, however -- it was basic, but clean, quiet, comfortable bed, and well-located for travel into NYC, at least by car.

Room Tip: All rooms are off a corridor on the highway side, so they are all quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank sjs1776
fortleegm, General Manager at Best Western Fort Lee, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 201-461-7000.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed here in March and enjoyed it! It has an indoor gym and was quiet and comfortable. It was very professional and clean. The manager is very hardworking. You could tell because I saw him walking every floor every day of my stay. The housekeepers were very prompt and polite. The front desk (Dan, I believe) was VERY VERY NICE and made my stay INCREDIBLE. It's obviously close to Times Square (just a drive over the George Washington Bridge). I enjoyed my stay and definitely recommend it to any travelers who are looking for a great, clean, wonderful hotel for a GREAT VALUE. Thanks Best Western and keep it up ;)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 203Capone
fortleegm, General Manager at Best Western Fort Lee, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Dear 203 Capone

I really want to thank you for taking time out oto post your positive and encouraging comments about me and my staff.
We at The Best Western Fort Lee has believes that all our guest are special and we try to personalize our service to all so they may view our hotel as their home away from home.

We look forward to hosting you and a friend or a family member on your next visit, please contact me or my staff at 201-461-7000.
Again we thank you for your review and i will definitely let Dan and the rest of staff know about your review.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I booked this hotel as an overnight stay to attend a show in NYC. Location was perfect! 10 minutes into NYC with traffic. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable. Had a great night's sleep. Check-in was a breeze and friendly.

Wifi service, complimentary breakfast, parking all inclusive in a very good price. Money well spent. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and whenever I visit this area again I will most certainly stay here. Was NOT disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ms_Happy_Traveller
fortleegm, General Manager at Best Western Fort Lee, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Reviewed March 6, 2012

As soon as we got to the hotel, we were greeted by the agent at the front desk who was very helpful and friendly. We had previously called because we had missed the hotel and we wanted to know how to get back around. After he helped us on the phone, the agent named Akeem welcomed us and check us in. Furthermore, he gave my boyfriend and I useful tips to use around the area. On top of that, he brought us an extra pair of blankets. He was very polite and we really appreciated the tips that we used around New York when we went sightseeing. The hotel is also very clean. Although the location is tricky just make sure you stay to your right and don't miss the hill. There should maybe be signs to give people a heads up about the hotel coming up. Our stay was pleasant. It was just what we needed as it gave us a quiet and comfortable atmosphere.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JayR3
fortleegm, General Manager at Best Western Fort Lee, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Dear JayR 3

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I will also pass this review on to Akeem who will also be very appreciative of your review and the time you took to post it.

Thank you again for taking the time to let all of our future guest know about our product

Reviewed January 18, 2012

I booked the hotel online through expedia and was disappointed. The location is tricky and we got lost, there is only one way in and out. It's located on a freeway, if you miss the hill then you will have to try again. They offer free breakfast; however the breakfast area consist of four or five tables, very cramped. The hotel had a foul odor similar to clorox and the room had the same scent. The room is very cramped and small. We did not feel comfortable and decided not to stay. It is very convenient to the GWbridge, so only recommend for those who want a quick sleep and get going.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eve5805
fortleegm, General Manager at Best Western Fort Lee, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Dear Eve 5805

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 201-461-7000.

Sincerely

Reviewed January 9, 2012

The hotel was nice my room was clean. The parking was free, service was on time and friendly. Yes i would stay here again, but the location need alot of work the hotel need more then oneway to get in or out of the place, if you miss your exit you have to laugh, so it will not mess up the rest of your day. The location of the hotel is a joke please do not follow your GPS good luck.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank hats1987
fortleegm, General Manager at Best Western Fort Lee, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2012

Dear Hats 1987
It was a pleasure having you stay with us; we really appreciate you taking the time to let others know of your recent stay with us.
We are really looking forward to seeing you again in the near future; please don't hesitate to call us directly at 201-461-7000 so we can take care of your reservation personally

Reviewed November 17, 2011

Someone recommended staying at the Holiday Inn in Fort Lee in order to visit Manhattan's Upper East Side, which we wanted to do over a long weekend.

We decided to stay at the Best Western the first night and the Holiday Inn right across the highway the second night, as a kind of face-off, so next time we'd know for ourselves which we prefer.

Frustratingly, though, we're still not sure which we prefer, as they each have pros and cons.

Staff: hands down, Best Western is far better. From my first phone call to the check-out, we felt like these people really cared and really helped. We were in contact with Fitzgerald and Rose and both were great. Rose also checked us in and out and even though she was swamped with groups, she gave us top-notch and caring attention. I don't know how she did it but we felt so welcome after a very long drive. The Holiday Inn staff was cold and impersonal, not impolite but grudgingly 'helpful'. Day and night difference.

Atmosphere: Here Best Western is limited by its design. It seems like a motel, except it has an exterior wall in front of the rooms that creates an interior corridor. This is in a separate entrance from the office/breakfast room/lounge, so you have to go outside after checking in. The office/breakfast room/lounge is very nice and the free breakfast surpassed our expectations (healthy options). The Holiday Inn is a real hotel, and the attractive, large lobby is great with a lot of conveniences and comfort. There's a restaurant on the premises but we didn't try it out (breakfast is not included in the stay).

Rooms: We asked for the same type of rooms, that is, for someone with allergies and smoke-free. Here's where we had a surprise. The Best Western room was smaller, darker and only had a fridge (the Holiday Inn had a fridge and microwave). Also, the Best Western seems a bit dated and frumpy. There's no question, though, that I got a great night's sleep at the Best Western and had no issues whatsoever with allergies. The bedding was really fresh and clean, even though it was a rather dark, dated motel room. I slept like a charm and never sneezed once. The Holiday Inn room was bigger, brighter, recently nicely re-furnished and had a fridge and microwave. When I first saw it, I felt sure it had to be the winner, as it has a luxurious look for a hotel at this price point. Lo and behold, even though it won in appearance, my nose started twitching and I started to sneeze. I barely got any sleep with the sneezing and tried to improve the air by turning on the air conditioning, even though it was cold outside. This helped my breathing but the machine was stunningly loud. A real disappointment because the room looks so inviting. And everytime I turned off the airconditioner, I could hear the cars on the highway at the HI. I really couldn't understand why it was so remarkably quiet at the BW compared to the HI, as both are on the highway, but it may have been that the BW is high up on a hill, is sheltered by a berm of trees and it has an extra wall in front of the rooms. The HI was supposedly a quiet room but it wasn't at all.

Both had problem-free and fast wi-fi.

Transportation in and out of NYC: It's a little (!!!) complicated to get into NYC due to the highway confusion. The objective is to reach the subway station on the other side of George Washington Bridge. I hesitate to compare because I didn't try to go into NYC from the Best Western. The Holiday Inn worked well, except the staff weren't that clear about how it works. It has its own shuttle bus during specific hours but you have to book it the day before and it doesn't run on Sunday, so it was no help to us when we were there. We used a different shuttle near the Holiday Inn and that was pretty good. We had to take both a shuttle and taxi to return and although inconvenient, it wasn't bad at all, once you know how to do it. It saves huge bucks.

We stayed in Fort Lee (incidentally, the little grocery store near the Best Western had great sushi) to test out visiting Manhattan by staying in NJ to save money. It was pretty good, although I wonder if someone knows of a little gem right in Manhattan on the UES that is in the same $ ball park, which would make it easier all around.

It was good, though. I just don't know which of these two I'd choose next time, as the HI is more upscale and physically attractive than the BW but the BW has super staff and offers a better night's sleep in a quieter, cleaner but darker and smaller room. I just wish the rooms weren't so dark and dated at the BW.

Access to both requires nerves of steel, until you know the way there!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank saleonsue
fortleegm, General Manager at Best Western Fort Lee, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

Dear Saleonsue

We thank you for making us one of your choice of stay on your recent visit to the Fort Lee area.
We mostly want to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to let other know a bit more about our hotel.
We are definitely working each day to make sure that all of our guest enjoys their stay and can give positive response like yours.
We recently just installed new carpets on both the first and second floor along with new flat screen sets in our rooms.
Most noted was our conversion of our free wire-less internet in all public areas and rooms.
We would like for you to give us a chance once more and I can assure you won't be disappointed.

Please contact Fitzroy or Rose at 201-461-7000 or fortleegm@wnwhospitality.com for your next reservation.

Again i want to say thank you and we look forward in seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Lee
Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park
Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park
#1 of 2 in Ridgefield Park
Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park

Been to Best Western Fort Lee? Share your experiences!