“Weekend with my Wife”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
“Weekend with my Wife”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I've been going to this diner for since 1980, and it's been good, bad and now it's great. I will make sure that I good there as often as I can.

The new ownership really seems to care about they customers, and the food was great.
I went there instead of eating in NYC and I'm very glad I did.

• Visited December 2013

• Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice Place Nice People”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

The service was nice. The people were nice especially since I came in with four roudy babies ranging from 3 -9 years old. They were patient and helped to keep them satisfied. The breakfast was very filling and tasted homemade. You gotta try it.

• Visited August 2013
Leonia, NJ
“Red Oak under new ownership as Chillers' Grill; still our "go to diner."”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went to what used to be Red Oak and is under new ownership as "Chillers Grill." Despite the tacky name, the food and the service were every bit as good as before. We went at 1:00 am following the Greek Orthodox Easter Service and were happy to see that everything was great, even at that late hour. We had standard diner fare (a burger, a chicken wrap, and an omelette) and everything was freshly prepared and well-made (ordering a burger done medium came just as ordered -- a difficult task for some diners). The cole slaw and pickles are also terrific. My son had a Napoleon for dessert which was perfect -- layers weren't mushy and the cream was delicious. As with the prior owners, the servings were generous enough for a doggy bag. The restaurant could use a bit of a make-over, but it's clean and I'm there for the food, not decor.As long as it stays on target, this remains our "go to diner."

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank CyprusMama
Marietta, Georgia
“Can't beat NJ diners”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

An oasis for tired travelers. Food was fine and the menu extensive. Our waiter was great-friendly and very competent.

• Visited April 2013
Portland, Oregom
“A Venerable Diner Shows Its Age”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

On a trip back East we decided to forsake haute cuisine for hot cuisine one evening and return to the nostalgia of an old-fashioned Greek-American diner. Alas the Red Oak is showing its age -- too many booth cushions mended with tape and a generally shabby feel. "It's a little pricey here," the waitress confided, "but the food is great." Actually "good" was probably more accurate -- and plentiful. We opted for Greek salads. The menu is typically expansive but not quite as complete as I remember such places to be. For example: no onion rings. An OK experience but we were hoping for more.

• Visited April 2013